+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low HCG levels with IVF

I'm new to the forum and I was searching around to see any stories about women who started at a low HCG level and ended up with a healthy pregnancy. (the threads I found were non IVF related).
    This is my first IVF cycle and at 14dpo my HCG level was 32. I had my blood test done again yesterday at 16dpo and it came up with 58. My estrogen went from 2046 to 3575 and my progesterone went from 23 to 76. I had started on progesterone since my first blood test at 14dpo.

My numbers have gone up but have not doubled. I am very worried as I have started at a very low level. From what I read on other threads, dr's would like to see beta levels at 14dpo at 100+.

My next blood test in next wednesday 29/12 and that would be at 23dpo. I am trying to occupy myself and not to worry but it's very hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there,

firstly, hugs i know how awfully scary the first few weeks are after a bfp from ivf.

my hcg was extremely low - i think it was 45 at 16dpo! my progesterone was low as well, i expected bad things and even the ivf nurses said, oh its very low etc etc

here i am 15 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby. please just try and keep as positive as possible, thinking of you xxx

pm me if you need someone to talk to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    rosewater, did you do a follow up HCG to check doubling time?

ljg, we are in the same boat. My beta on Monday (14dp3dt, 17dpo) was 81 and Wednesday was 110. The doctor said to stop all support but my husband and I have elected to continue support and we are testing again next Wednesday on the off chance that the first test was falsely elevated. We are probably clutching at straws but as this is our last go, I feel we just need to wait and see.

My oestrogen and progesterone were not tested as far as I know.

There certainly are some success stories out there that started off not so great but there are many more where it didn't end happily. Hopefully we are in the first group!

Best of luck to you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpernickel For This Useful Post:

ljg00  (24-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ljgoo,

I am currently in the same situation as you, although my hcg yesterday was only 14.

I am going back tomorrow for another BT to see how its going. I can't answer your question other than to say i know the doctors do like it over 100. I'm also very worried and have googled information on it, but not in IVF terms.

I know how your feeing. The clinic says your positive but levels aren't great, so its the waiting and the not knowing.

All we can do is wait and that our numbers keep going up.

Let me know how you go

Rosewater - thanks for sharing your positive story, makes me feel a bit better

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep, i had it tested every 2-3 days then a weekly one, in hindsight, it was sooooo much more stressful waiting for the results. My prog came back as very low so was immediately put on pessaries which I think helped (it was an unmedicated fet).

hcg was rising but not as quickly as i wanted it too, but it the end it was going up and up and the fs was happy with it. I got to 6w6d and had an internal scan and saw the beautiful hb which allayed my fears 'somewhat' (im a terrible worrier).

Please try and hang in there and pray/talk to the baby - whatever helps you get through.

Just when we thought that getting pregnant was the hard part!

big hugs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpernickel View Post
    rosewater, did you do a follow up HCG to check doubling time?

ljg, we are in the same boat. My beta on Monday (14dp3dt, 17dpo) was 81 and Wednesday was 110. The doctor said to stop all support but my husband and I have elected to continue support and we are testing again next Wednesday on the off chance that the first test was falsely elevated. We are probably clutching at straws but as this is our last go, I feel we just need to wait and see.

My oestrogen and progesterone were not tested as far as I know.

There certainly are some success stories out there that started off not so great but there are many more where it didn't end happily. Hopefully we are in the first group!

Best of luck to you!
    I would have done the same thing Pumpernickel x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
    yep, i had it tested every 2-3 days then a weekly one, in hindsight, it was sooooo much more stressful waiting for the results. My prog came back as very low so was immediately put on pessaries which I think helped (it was an unmedicated fet).

hcg was rising but not as quickly as i wanted it too, but it the end it was going up and up and the fs was happy with it. I got to 6w6d and had an internal scan and saw the beautiful hb which allayed my fears 'somewhat' (im a terrible worrier).

Please try and hang in there and pray/talk to the baby - whatever helps you get through.

Just when we thought that getting pregnant was the hard part!

big hugs xx
    Rosewater, hopefully my situation ends up positive like yours. This 1ww for the next blood test is more worrying and nerve wrecking than the 2ww. I was put on Crinone (progesterone) from 14dpo which showed improvement on 16dpo.

I'm curious to know your rate for hcg doubling time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Riss31 View Post
    Hi ljgoo,

I am currently in the same situation as you, although my hcg yesterday was only 14.

I am going back tomorrow for another BT to see how its going. I can't answer your question other than to say i know the doctors do like it over 100. I'm also very worried and have googled information on it, but not in IVF terms.

I know how your feeing. The clinic says your positive but levels aren't great, so its the waiting and the not knowing.

All we can do is wait and that our numbers keep going up.

Let me know how you go

Rosewater - thanks for sharing your positive story, makes me feel a bit better
    Riss31, I hope you all the best with today's blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ljg00 - thanks. Talk about the highs and lows. I went to the clinic this morning to be told they wanted to see my hcg go to 10 and progestone going down as it was still high and then a period would come. So i had dealt with this and then i get a call to say my results came back and are now 42, so obviously they have gone up nicely. However the waiting still waits and i go back again next week to see if this has continued. I am still hopeful but am also aware of what could happen. My progestone has also risen..

Wishing you all the luck on the 29th as i know how your feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls,
    i do hope your levels go up.... i am 10 days post transfer of 2 frozen 3 day embryos.
    I stupidly did a hpt on day 8 and got a faint positive but the ones i have done since have been neg... i think the 8 day one might have been picking up some leftover pregnyl...... or do you all think it might be too early for hpt anyway... my bt is on the 28th...... hmmmmmm im not hopeful, surely the home test would show wouldnt they???