+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Another good resource is cenus data (although most recent data is 4-years old). I find it a bit of an insight to the area, average household income, % of rental, unemployment, % households with and without children etc http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D33...me/Census+data

Also a few people have mentioned Cranbourn and Frankston just a note- they are 50km+ from the CBD

I would also avoid suburbs such as Broadmeadows, Nobel Park, Endeavour Hills, Springvale and Dandenong as they are not the of nicest of suburbs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    yeah i literally used to live a few streets from southland great shopping centre ! whered you go to school if you dont mind me asking?
    Sandringham secondary college, though I was only there for about 5 months before I dropped out (in year 11) and got a job. It's not that far away but not overly close though. Just a bus ride away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CocktailBubba View Post
    Lol I'm still at southland every second or third day I went to Brighton high on marriage rd!

I do go to Southland sometimes now but not as often as I used to. I went there for the first time in about 2 years a few weeks ago and still knew my way around. lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live at southland !! more so then chaddy, chaddy is to busy now days.
    I am from east brighton and went to star of the sea!

Good suburbs! Inner city!!!!

Brighton, brighton east, ormond, mckinnon, bentleigh, bentleigh east, caulfield south, caulfield, caulfield north, caulfield east, cheltenham, highett, mentone, parkdale, sandringham, hampton, beaumaris, black rock, hughesdale, murrumbeena, carnegie, oakleigh south

There all my top suburbs! lol

GREAT schools as far as public to private your spoilt with choice, they have the best schools around bayside suburbs and toorak etc.

Great transport links, bus, tram, train.

Safe friendly suburbs with alot of parks.. i mean ALOT!
    TRaffic is good, up beach road !!! excellent, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have family with young children in both Eltham and Park Orchards... both gorgeous areas

DD loves it when we go down there! everything is so close too

goodluck for your move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kensington! We have just bought in Kensington and can't wait to move there. The people seem down-to-earth, friendly and there a lots of kids. It is under 4kms to the city, the train will have you to Southern Cross Station (major city station) in 2 stops, there are buses as well (very pram friendly unlike the trams!) and about 3 entry and exit points to the city if you're driving. Rent is cheapish still and a 2 bed townhouse will set you back around $540k to buy. The suburb is historical in that it used to be made up of old cattle yards. They have used the old wooden fences to create little cobble-stone avenues between the streets with lots of parks and grass for little ones to play. There are a couple of cafe strips and unique shops to give you that European feel that you will no doubt crave when you move here (we just moved back from Paris). The local primary school has good results which is also a plus. There is a maternal and child health centre (what the baby health care centres are called here) on Altona St that would be able to give you information about playgroups, child care etc. Put your child's name down at whatever child care centres you can now as for some areas you need to have put your child's name down when you are pregnant. Our 2 year old son goes to Family daycare whereby an amazing woman takes care of him and up to 3 others in her home. It is endorsed by the Government so you are entitled to a rebate (see www.familyassist.gov.au for info on child care in Australia) if you are residents, others. I think it is around $6 an hour. If you are thinking of moving to North Melbourne, West Melbourne, Flemington, Kensington I can give you the name and details of my son's carer.

Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions about moving here.

Natalie

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second Natalie about Kensington! We've lived here for nearly 4 years now and apart from not being able to afford a 3 bedroom house yet, I am loving every bit of this place.

Everything is so close by and it is a 5 min drive (weekends/holidays) to the city, 8 mins train ride into/from the city, many health clinics that bulk bill, close to Royal Children's, close to the Women's etc etc.

BTW, Natalie, would you be so kind to pm me about the Family Day Care your son goes? I am thinking to put my son when he is nearly 2 at a day care and I have put our name down. But I prefer a Family Day Care if possible. How does it work?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually a qualified child care worker and i can tell you the list can be quite extensive. They also give preference to parents who are putting their child in every day due to work. If you are putting your kids in for a few days just so they can get social interaction, you will be bumped down the list as your care requirements aren't considered "urgent" So i suggest you make a list of a few of the centres you most want your kids to go to, and ring to make an appointment for you to have a tour and meet the carers there. The sooner you pick a place and make arrangements the better off you'd be.

Hope that is helpful for you

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we might be making the move back to melbourne too. we were in brunswick and west melbourne, but they weren't great for kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, you could try Point Cook or Sanctuary Lakes, and the nicer areas of Hoppers Crossing, Truganina and Tarneit? I am out that way and love it, do your homework on the area but good spots DO exist, more childcare areas going up all the time as there is a LOT of new housing with newly constructed parks/playgrounds, not far from the city (25min outside of peak hour) and close to the beach (10min, if that, from some parts). Schools are okay, have heard the ones in Point Cook are great but have some good private ones available in Truganina and a select entry being constructed in Werribee/Hoppers area. Housing is more affordable than the eastern suburbs and shopping is pretty good! I found public transport accessible and we have new train lines going in too.

Good luck!!