+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live in Hampton Park. No wait lists here for daycare. Its an outer south eastern suburb and there are heaps of centres. Its affordable here too and very multicultural so all sorts of cafes and restaurants around. Its not everyone's cup of tea but I am happy here. Neighbours are nice (3 different neighbours have kindly mowed my lawn for me) and the kids in the street all know each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ill chime in and say I adore Eltham too!! We are a few suburbs away from there. I love the northern suburbs of melbourne .. Its a kind of "in between" if you want to go with the stereotypes hehehe

OP do you have a preference of distance from the CBD??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    The further out from Melbourne you go, the more childcare spots there are. For example, Frankston is by the beach, has lovely foreshore/park area and lots of childcare places (we could basically pick and chose our centre). There are lots of schools, as it is a growth area, and Eastlink tollway will get you to the city pretty easily within 1hr. There are heaps of cafes and other nice places to eat, and suburbs iwth nice parks etc all the way up the coast actually. Even somewhere like Mordialloc or Parkdale would be a nice place to live.
    Def agree with this, I have lived in Frankston, Aspendale etc and now in Cranbourne (which is only 15 mins from Frankston) and there are a lot of child care centers etc and parks. I have never had a problem in any of those areas). I have also lived in Clayton, Noble park and Springvale as well and it's not far from the city if you go by train its about an hour.

When we lived in Clayton we were just across the road from the materal health nurse and local playgroup too which was a bonus.
    Last edited by mum2bubba; 12-12-2010 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I wouldn't live anywhere but the inner east. You have good transport links (trains & trams), some great parks, safe neighborhoods, good public & private schools, good shopping & cafe strips, easy commute to the city.The downside is that houses are expensive than the west or outer suburbs.

I'm thinking suburbs such as South Yarra (rated most livable suburb in Melbourne), Malvern, Hawthorn, Prahran, Glen Iris, Camberwell...

Also as you are from Germany, if you are interested in your children become bilingual Toorak Primary (no catchment) has a great program for children of German background http://www.spatzenschule.org.au/
    Last edited by ThereIsNoPlaceLikeHome; 12-12-2010 at 11:03.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThereIsNoPlaceLikeHome For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (28-12-2013),luuvly21  (12-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since I moved from the UK I've lived in the bayside suburbs. I've found them to be very nice - definitely child friendly with lots of parks, playgrounds and plenty of childcare and decent schools. I like being near the beach too. I'm in Cheltenham and it's great. We would like to go a bit closer to the city, but we wanted a house and garden and couldn't get that further in. It's only a 45 min
    drive or 30 min train ride though.

I love the Northern suburbs like Northcote, Brunswick etc - they're quite trendy though
    and therefore a bit expensive for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i used to live in cheltenham i liked it there, 10 mins from the beach (well bay haha), has a massive westfield shopping centre (southland) there, lots of good schools and child cares About half an hour to the city.good bus and train network, loads of parks, cheltenham park is a good one
    if you want any more info let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to go to Southland all the time when I lived in Aspendale, just jumped on the train. I went to school not far from there too so was a bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    I used to go to Southland all the time when I lived in Aspendale, just jumped on the train. I went to school not far from there too so was a bonus.
    yeah i literally used to live a few streets from southland great shopping centre ! whered you go to school if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geelong is beautiful!! Not a suburb of melbourne though. About 45 minutes from melbourne.
    I spent my teenage years there and loved it. There isn't much for older kids to do though, to keep them out of trouble. Melbourne gas far more activities and is more multicultural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    Lol I'm still at southland every second or third day I went to Brighton high on marriage rd!