+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default most child- friendly suburbs in Melbourne?

Hi to all you fab Melbourne Mamas ,

I'm new to this forum, so a quick introduction:
    Me, my partner and our baby boy who is 5 weeks and 1 day old today are planning to move to Melbourne next year from the UK (My partner is british, I'm originally from Germany.). Now we are looking for the most child friendly suburb in Melbourne in matters of:

other (young) families in the area
    childcare/ nursery
    good cafes
    places to go/ do with the little one

Hope you know the perfect place for us, it should be within 30- 45min driving distance to the city and shouldn't leave us with too big a hole in our wallet .

Thanks girls!
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm,

I would suggest:

Malvern
    St Kilda
    Prahran
    Yarraville
    Williamstown

The first 3 are just outside of the CBD, so close to the city, lots of transport ie, trams, trains, buses, taxi's and is abundant in parks, walking/bike tracks, cafe's, you name it, you will find it.

The other two are a bit further out, but beautiful and very kid friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im in Bulleen, its child friendly ie: no nightlife so you dont get the hooligans around lol.
    We are 10 min drive to the city and 5-10 min drives to other suburbs with big shopping centres etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really depends how much money you have...

Caulfield has a massive park with 3 different playgrounds in it and a duck pond, I loved living in caulfield, we were at that park every day. it has young families, close to good shopping, not far from the beach. For me though, it's pretty expensive in terms of buying a house. Glen iris/ashburton is nice, parks etc, young families. I love areas like Brunswick, northcote etc but most houses r small so only if you are planning a small family. GREAT cafes around there. I also like yarraville in the west , again young families and cafes. all of these are within 15 mins of the city. I live in Oakleigh whIch is about 25-30 mins out in normal traffic, it's a bit cheaper here but lots of young families, a few parks close by, bigger blocks, and it's got a big Greek population so great food and cafes (but not the trendy inner city organic type ones, but good coffee and cake).

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    don't go brunswick/northcote/inner city if you want child care the waiting lists are insane, i can't even get into the gym creche in brunswick i would go yarraville/seddon/footscray or further out williamstown (willy is by the beach, too but quite expensive), i don't know too much about east side of melbourne.
    Eltham is beautiful too, which is north of the city. Lovely mix of urban and bush, half my mother's group has moved from carlton/brunswick to eltham.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    don't go brunswick/northcote/inner city if you want child care the waiting lists are insane, i can't even get into the gym creche in brunswick i would go yarraville/seddon/footscray or further out williamstown (willy is by the beach, too but quite expensive), i don't know too much about east side of melbourne.
    Eltham is beautiful too, which is north of the city. Lovely mix of urban and bush, half my mother's group has moved from carlton/brunswick to eltham.
    I think child care is full everywhere! I start uni next year and can't get my son in anywhere
    I second eltham/Warrandyte- beautiful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eltham, warrandyte, donvale, Doncaster, templestowe, all beautiful suburbs. Large blocks, some an acre(like my place). Rivers, creeks, huge parks, access to fantastic local and large shopping centers. Great access to the eastern freeway and eastlink. Way better than the monash which is a carpark most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The further out from Melbourne you go, the more childcare spots there are. For example, Frankston is by the beach, has lovely foreshore/park area and lots of childcare places (we could basically pick and chose our centre). There are lots of schools, as it is a growth area, and Eastlink tollway will get you to the city pretty easily within 1hr. There are heaps of cafes and other nice places to eat, and suburbs iwth nice parks etc all the way up the coast actually. Even somewhere like Mordialloc or Parkdale would be a nice place to live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay away from suburbs that has commission flats. The schools tend to get lower test results because they have to focus somewhat on students who have english as a second language.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies girls!
    I'm definately going to check out Eltham and Geelong, many of you suggested these places .
    About the childcare, do you think that it's worth it applying for places here already? How long are the waiting lists roughly?