Closed Thread
Page 91 of 151 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone
    Hanging around the forums during my TWW.....

Nat84u- ouch... That sounds biopsy sounds awful. My FS @ SydIVF tried to do my biopsy but couldnt because of the cervix. We had to try again next month using dilatation.!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi again...

Well Dr Lok seems to think I have a chromosome problem. He suggested PGD if I have a fresh cycle. However I have 8 frosties at SIVF. So I'm moving them to WFC, as I can't afford SIVF anymore :-(

He said I can try transferring the frosties but if there's a problem then it won't result in pregnancy. He's sending me for all these BTs, including Karyotyping. Does anyone know if the Karyotyping is normal, then could I still have a chromo problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey girls just a quick one from my phn - Nat hope ur feeling better, that sounds Terrible!!!

Afm - well if it rains, it pours - not only have DH and I been fighting all week - called FS today to c if got AMH results - well the verdict is in - very low, 2.2 - prob 0 buy 2.2 is the highest of thr lowest if u know what i mean, least i know why i only eva get 4 eggs!!!! surprise surprise

Have good weekend all hope it doesn't stay like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    EO – so so sorry to hear you have had more delays, that is truly the worst part of infertility – delays, delays, delays. I hope you are still feeling OK. I’m so happy to hear the quality of your embryos is so fantastic, that is just wonderful. You will feel fantastic getting pregnant from a FET cycle without OHSS and any drugs on board. Just out of interest even with my low AMH and poorer response to meds, my ovaries were still quite enlarged at my 12 week scan and are giving me a fair bit of discomfort with ligament pain etc. If i had my choice i would have preferred getting pregnant from an FET cycle than a stim for that reason – the one time it happened to me i almost felt like a “normal” person getting preggers. I have absolute faith your time is coming v.v.soon.

Nat – how frustrating for you. I guess all embryos that don’t take are chromosomally abnormal (leaving aside immune & clotting factors etc.) so its a huge obstacle. I guess he is being thorough by testing the karotyping. I really hope your sticky bubba is one of your frosties and your time is soon.

Crofty – AMH sucks!!!! Don’t let it get you down (easier said than done). My AMH in April was 2.7 and 2 women with AMH less than 1 on the over 35’s thread have got pregnant too. Where there’s eggs there’s hope. I read you are going on DHEA. If you can get it from the compounding chemist in macquarie st. in the city it is meant to be really great quality. A few pages back now but i wrote to you the wrong dpo – i meant cycle day 21 or 7dpo (for the prog testing) – sorry!

TTHC & Loulabelle– hope ur travelling well

Lindylou – I hope DH is out of the doghouse now and is behaving!!

Angela – oh i hope its a BFP for you. Sounds like you have a great IVF plan in place ready to go if not. I looked at it like how many cycles of IUI would pay for one IVF cycle and then the increased chance of BFP IYKWIM.

Hi to everyone i have missed too

AFM – sorry I have been MIA, so much going on, DH’s aunty passed away, and DH and DD have both been sick, looking after them both took everything i had but luckily i didn’t get their bugs. My nausea and morning sickness has upped so hard to get much done – no complaints though i have to embrace it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sydney girls
    Nat: The chromosome thing sounds very complicated, I don't really know anything about it but I hope you get the answers you need and it helps you get your bub.
    Pink Butterfly: Oh no about your m/s I thought it was meant to get better after 12 weeks??? Hope it goes soon. I am sorry to hear about your DP's aunt such sad news
    Crofty: Sorry to hear about you AMH levels. It just sucks doesn't it??? Hope your weekend gets better.
    Lozz: Not long till your b/t. Have you POAS yet??? How are you feeling???
    Lindylou: Oh no about your fight. I hope your DP pulls his head in and stops acting like an idiot!!! And that you have a nice weekend
    Angela: How are you feeling??? I hope you get your BFP this cycle let us know what happens
    EO: I am sorry you have to wait for so long, I can understand why you are so frustrated but hopefully it means you will have an easier pregnancy with your FET. I have mild OHSS (and they only took 6 eggs) but due to the pregnancy. At both my u/s they have said wow your ovaries are huge!!! My tummy is still quite swollen and tender. So I can only imagine how horrible you would feel with severe OHSS.
    TTHC: How are you going sweetie??? Have you had your scan yet???
    Hi all the other Sydney girls
    AFM: Nothing much happening just m/s (today I vomited bile for half an hour - YUCK YUCK YUCK). 11 weeks on Monday.
    I hope eveyone has a lovely weekend

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Karyotyping

Karyotyping looks at the chromosomes to see if you have the correct number and if they are all the correct size. It is a general overview, looking to see if any bits are missing, duplicated, or swapped around. It doesn't look into the detail of whether the genetic instructions are broken or not.

Karyotyping shares a limitation with PGD, which is that you only get information on the cell(s) you tested, so there is an inbuilt assumption (which may not always be valid) that all your cells (or the embryo's cells for PGD) are the same as the one you test.

Karyotyping of adults is usually done on white blood cells. It can't be done on red blood cells because they don't have a nucleus and therefore they don't have any DNA/chromosomes. Any cell with a nucleus can be karyotyped. They stimulate the white blood cells to divide, but add a chemical that stops them at the point where they've packaged their DNA up nice and tight and pretty to stop it getting tangled during the division process. They add a dye that gives each chromosome a characteristic stripey appearance. They bust the cell open to give the chromosomes a bit of space and take a photo. Then they cut and paste the photo to arrange the chromosomes into the 23 pairs, matching them up by size, shape and stripe pattern.

Now there is something called mosaicism. It's probably rare, but I don't know the rate in the general population. It is when not all of your cells have the same DNA. This could be because early in your development one cell broke and all of that cell's descendants inherited the break, or it could be that your body is built from a fusion of maternal twins. Both of these scenarios break the karyotyping assumption that all of your cells are the same. But even if you are mosaic, you still don't know if your white blood cells and your egg cells are the same or different.

And the same issue occurs with PGD. You assume that all the embryo's cells are the same as the one you test, and this isn't always true. Also, if you have normal and abnormal cells in an embryo sometimes the normal cells can "win" and you get a healthy baby despite PGD saying it's bad. On Thurs my FS told us he had a patient go through exactly this scenario.

So these sorts of genetic testing are really a very strong indicator of reality, but are not definitive. Without testing all the cells of you or the embryo (which is impossible since testing destroys the cells) then you're still left to make the decisions yourselves, using the test results as a suggestion not as an instruction.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Felicita: As always – excellent explanation for Nat on PGD. How are you going? When is your next cycle?

Loulabelle: happy 11 weeks hon, when is your next scan? You must be getting so excited to see your lil bub again? Hope the MS gets better for you once the first trimester is over.

PinkB: Oh so sorry to hear about your DH’s aunt. Sounds like it’s been a tough few weeks for you with DD and DH being sick and your MS getting worse. Hope it eases u soon for you hon. How did your DD take the news about a new little brother/sister? I totally know getting a BFP with OHSS wouldn’t be a good thing, but emotions got the better of me and i pushed aside all of the complications and just had the BFP in sight.

Crofty: Oh hon sorry to hear you have had a rough time the last week . Fighting with DH is never easy, hopefully it has all resolved now for you. I know the number sounds very low but try not to place too much emphasis on it, there have been plenty of ladies in the 35+ thread who have had very low AHM level and they have had a pg. Sorry i can’t remember but do you and your DH take any multivitamins etc? How is the DHEA going?

Nat: Wow Dr Lok sure has given you a lot to think about with that appointment. How did you find him as a FS? Have you decided yet about whether you will stay or go to the new clinic or if you will use your frosties first or start a fresh cycle to do PDG? Sorry can’t help too much about the Karotyoing and Chromosione issues, DH had the Karotyping done, which from memory was expensive and took about 5 weeks to get the results back and his all came back clear except that he carries the CF gene (hence why he is missing his Vas and we need to do IVF). So many things to think about, i really hope the Karotyping can give you some answers. Thinking o you hon.

Angelanathan: Hope your BT brings you some positive news.

The time has come: how are you going hon? You must be close to your US now?

Lindylou: How are you going darl. Any sign of AF yet? Hope DH has managed to come to his senses and apologise so you can get into your next cycle.

Hi to Paddlegirl, Starfish and anyone else i missed.

AFM: Well AF well and truly showed up yesterday – yep 5 days early (only 10 days post EPU) on a stim cycle. I was expecting she may be late due to the OHSS. On the upside her early arrival means it’s a week earlier for my FET and now the OHSS symptoms have nearly all but gone. So i am back into being healthy and taking all my horrid herbs and vitamins again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Negative bloods hcg was 6 so just waiting for af to start my very first cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Felicita :-)

Angelanathan - I'm sorry to hear that... With HCG of 6 it sounds like something tried to happen! I hope that your cycle goes smoothly

EO - Yay for AF arriving early. Maybe it's natures way of making up for not getting to transfer this cycle? My FS called today to say the biopsy showed I didn't ovulate (which I already knew!). He wants me to start Provera. But I'm not. I'm moving my embies to WFC (not really by choice... But I can't afford SIVF anymore). I'll wait and see what the RI says before I decide what to do. PGD is so costly, and I hate to waste the money if I didn't need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    EO- still not a word out of DH. Day 6 of silent treatment and counting. AF started today so there will definitely be no FET in Sep . Boot camp is going great, weighed in last Friday and I'm down to 56kg, that's the lightest I've been in years! Gee your AF showed up super early, yay for bringing your FET forward a week! So glad the OHSS is gone and the your embies got a glowing report card from the embryologist . You are SO going to be UTD next transfer .

Nat- I can't believe your biopsy went so badly, your poor thing! I hope your karyotypes and other bloods come back all-clear. Will Dr Lok still be your FS when you transfer to WFC?

Angela- sorry to hear your BFP was short-lived . I do hope your first IVF gets you a sticky, and your chances will be very high having just had a chem pg.

Crofty- I hope your DH is more mature than mine and things are all good. Sorry to hear your AMH was on the lower side. I agree with PinkB, you still have eggs and therefore more chances to find the golden one

PinkB- Oh bugger, you've sure had alot on your plate. Hope the MS packs its bags for good very soon. You must be glad you took the opportunity to visit DHs aunty when you did, I hope you're coping OK with her loss .

Lozzenator- thanks for stopping by, best of luck for your TWW . Feel free to join us anytime.

Loulabelle- That MS sounds awful. Yay for 11 weeks though! Must be time for another scan soon. No improvement on the DH front. Still had a great weekend regardless. Caught up on some work and visited friends.

Felicita- how have you been? Any better since starting the meds?

Hi to Starf1sh, TTHC, Quartz, Lola, Traveler, Bella & Kelbelle

AFM- Thanks everyone for your concern about DH & the fight, this time things are seriously bad. Every day he doesn't talk to me, something dies inside and the less I want to make up. I'm over his immaturity and inability to argue fairly or resolve it afterwards. I googled 'silent treatment' and was shocked with what I read. Its considered a form of emotional abuse . Needless to say there won't be any IVF for awhile. I can't raise children with a person who does this to me .