View Poll Results: Should children open their gifts at the party?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they Should

47 68.12%
  • No they should wait

9 13.04%
  • Other

13 18.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me personally I find it incredibly
    embarrassing opening up presents in front of people with everyone watching like at my baby shower. I'd rather open up each present as it's given to me in front of that person instead of everyone KWIM
    As for kids I think it's an thing. He got lots of gifts for his birthday but we didn't open them until later unless the person wanted to see him open them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter had 2 parties. One with her littel friends at a playcentre. She was having too much fun to worry about the presents. Then she had another party at home with my friends and family. She opened her presents then, but only because she was the only child and everybody loved watching her open them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    For me personally I find it incredibly
    embarrassing opening up presents in front of people with everyone watching like at my baby shower. I'd rather open up each present as it's given to me in front of that person instead of everyone KWIM
    As for kids I think it's an thing. He got lots of gifts for his birthday but we didn't open them until later unless the person wanted to see him open them
    Lol, that's true!

In a way, with your own birthday, open any gifts as the guest arrives to avoid that awkward 'baby shower' type situation.

How many times can you say 'oh wow, thanks! That's great' before it sounds really fake! oh and I was given 27 body suits in size 000 so by the end it was sounding pretty 'oohh, tthhaaannnkkkss. That's great'. Because 'wow I really needed one of those' had been used up. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it depends on the party (who is there, where, etc), age of the children, their attentiont span, etc. I think there are too many variables to have one definitive answer for every situation.

We opened DD's presents with her on her 1st birthday while everyone was there - they were all bugging us to, so we did!! But she wasnt the slightest bit interested in anything but the paper!! LMAO!!

Some people had already left so in the thank you notes i sent I wrote something about what she did when she opened it or what she has been doing with the present, etc!! i think this is a nice touch!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Little Loves View Post
    I actually find it quite rude when I leave a party and gifts haven't been opened, and then you never hear from the paretns how their child liked the gift (which I usually put a lot of thought into it).
    I have had this happen couple of times also and thought it was a bit odd not to come say thanks over the next week or whatever. Maybe the kids came up to DD and said thanks and I never new... That in comparison to the party where girl opened them there at least we knew it was appreciated.

Despite being raised to not open gifts in front of people that rule seemed to be out the window with christmas. We would all get a pile and go for it at the same time.

I should have put a "depends on situation" option in the poll

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 100% for opening gifts at the party, either as guests arrive or as a part of the day.

It's the kid's birthday - they should be made to feel special and spoilt!!! and part of that is opening presents and saying thank you to the person who has given it

i get disappointed when I give a gift to someone and they don't open it

On a side note - i'm surprised we haven't had the reason "that some of the kids in the audience might feel left out / upset because they aren't getting a present" to which my response would be - it's a life lesson kids need to learn - may as well start from the beginning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Little Loves View Post
    I actually find it quite rude when I leave a party and gifts haven't been opened, and then you never hear from the paretns how their child liked the gift (which I usually put a lot of thought into it).
    I agree!

I had this happen recently and nothing has ever been mentioned of the gift we gave

This also happened way back when I was pregnant with dd I gave a
    Little boy a $40 gift voucher for his mums fav clothing shop for him, and she commented that she didn't receive a gift from us, turns out she didn't open the cards... WTF who does that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairysmum View Post
    I agree!

I had this happen recently and nothing has ever been mentioned of the gift we gave

Little boy a $40 gift voucher for his mums fav clothing shop for him, and she commented that she didn't receive a gift from us, turns out she didn't open the cards... WTF who does that!
    First rule of gift opening - read the card first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep cards first always.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree!

Yep very strange indeed, how horrible for you!