View Poll Results: Should children open their gifts at the party?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they Should

47 68.12%
  • No they should wait

9 13.04%
  • Other

13 18.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Other.

I think it depends on the child, and the children.

We didnt open them at the boys party, but if the kids were older and had wanted to see the gifts opened we would have.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I prefer that children open their birthday gifts after the party, particularly young children.

In my experience, the child is too distracted by the opportunity to have fun or too tired for the gift-opening for it to be anything other than organised chaos. Gifts are put to the side, the birthday child is made to say thank you countless times and mum or dad are left to try to make sense of who gave what and tidy a sea of wrapping paper. It also takes up valuable party time!There's also the potential to put guests in an uncomfortable position, particularly guests who feel their budget or gift ideas don't quite measure up. I also feel that the birthday child is entitled to play with or read their gift first and opening presents infront of other children naturally invites curious fingers.

I think opening gifts the day after is appropriate when the birthday child has the time to pour over his gifts, mum and dad have time to record which gift belongs to to which guest.

A short thank you letter (handwritten) or a phonecall placed by the child is a lovely way to acknowledge the time and effort each guest has put into the gift received.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We were always brought up that its rude to not open a gift and show appreciation for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think for a kids birthday party the gifts should be opened at the party. We went to SIL's twins 4yo party and all of the presents were put onto a table to be opened at home. My kids were quite upset that they didn't get to see their cousins open 'their' presents.

I think opening presents is half the fun of a kids birthday party! It just seems rude to me to whisk the presents away, and it is a good opportunity to teach kids how to show appreciation for a gift. Yes, there will be some embarrassing times where your child will say 'I've already got that' or something ruder, but that's kids and I'm sure other parents understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    We've always unwrapped the gifts as soon as they were given to us. ....
    .... I wouldn't want DS to say something like: "Yeah thanks, just add it to the pile on the table".
    I would like him to say: "Oh wow! Just what I wanted aunty S! Thank you so much!"
    Same. This is what I did as a kid, and what my kids now do. I'm interested at the responses so far though - because most parties my eldest DD has been to the presents have been put on a table and not unwrapped until we've left?! I don't really like that - I want my DD to see her friend's reaction to her gift! IMO - for a kid half the joy in giving is getting to share the joy/delight of the recipient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually find it quite rude when I leave a party and gifts haven't been opened, and then you never hear from the paretns how their child liked the gift (which I usually put a lot of thought into it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD1 has a birthday party at a play centre or something we tend to wait and open the gifts when we get home. There is just so much else going on at the party and the kids just want to run off and play anyway and have a good time. But when we have a party at home, particualrly with family, she opens the gift as people arrive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the gifts to be opened at the party too

I think someone else said it too, it comes across rude when the child is like 'just add it to my pile' and then there is just a table with a heap of gifts!

My sister tried to do this for my nieces birthday, open them later, but my two DS were so eager to see my niece open her present from them, that they had picked for her, my eldest DS nagging 'can *niece* open her present from me nowwwwwww' over a few hours must have got to my sister and she finally caved and let her open it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel it's a bit rude to open the gifts in front of people. Some people might not be able to afford much and some might be more extravagant. Some might not bring a gift at all. Because of all these reasons I'd rather the child open them all later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Little Loves View Post
    I actually find it quite rude when I leave a party and gifts haven't been opened, and then you never hear from the paretns how their child liked the gift (which I usually put a lot of thought into it).
    I agree. particularly if you never hear from them.

I much prefer having gifts I've given to be opened there and then I'm too impatient with people opening gifts FROM me though cos I want to see how they liked it.

No point giving gifts without the thrill of seeing their face as they open it.

Though if anyone ever hesitated opening a gift I tell them to open it!

A few times I've been unsure, like when given a gift before the actual birthday, I'll ask if it's okay to open now or should I(he) wait?

But I figure it's a party plus then the other kids get to enjoy the gifts too, jaspers 1st birthday he gave his toys to other kids to play with (this year he was just *okay* with other kids touching his stuff )
    Last edited by Boobycino; 08-12-2010 at 13:15.