View Poll Results: Should children open their gifts at the party?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they Should

47 68.12%
  • No they should wait

9 13.04%
  • Other

13 18.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Opening gifts at a birthday party?

I was wondering how you guys feel about kids opening gifts up at their birthday party? Should they wait till they get home to do that? Or is it nice to show appreciation and do it with all the other kids around?

my thoughts and poll to follow

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I have always felt that when a gift is given it is polite to open it when it is received. I can accept that at at wedding the gifts are often not opened because there is always other things to be done in the formal setting, but kids at a kids birthday, either open all the gifts at one time while all the guests are still there, or open each gift as it is given. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was bought up that it was rude to do so, that way none of the guests would be embarressed if they didn't feel like the gift they had bought wasn't 'as good' or 'as expensive' as some of the others.

However DD went to a party where the little girl opened the pressies and *loved* the gift DD had chosen and DD was so very proud of her self and happy that she had picked it out!

I think I personally would make my kids wait but I havn't been to enough parties to know what the done thing is

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its a nice way to end the party - have the cake, sing, blow out candles and while the kids are eating the cake, the birthday boy/girl opens the presents.

Its great to see what they got and how excited they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've always unwrapped the gifts as soon as they were given to us. I dont have to worry about 1 person having a more expensive gift than the other. All my friends have asked me what DS wants for his birthday and I have given them some tips and made sure its all around the same price.

I wouldn't want DS to say something like: "Yeah thanks, just add it to the pile on the table".
    I would like him to say: "Oh wow! Just what I wanted aunty S! Thank you so much!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never thought of having them do it as people give the gift...

I kind of just get this picture of a kid surrounded by a mountain of pressies and like Misschief said just chucking them on the table and saying "next"!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by danni3 View Post
    just chucking them on the table and saying "next"!!
    Hahahahaha Im getting funny images right now. DS is too young to open them anyway, so with his b'day next week, I will just gather them all on the table and open them at home with him. Im worried that otherwise it would get a bit too much for him.
    However, his next birthday I will get him to open it with everyone there. As a kid I always loved to see kids opening the presents I bought for them. I loved the delighted looks on their faces when they saw what they had been given

I guess its all personal choice really. I doubt there is a wrong and a right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've said "other" because it really does depend.

Normally for DD's birthday party we just have a bit of a play in a park until all the kids are there, we have food out ready for anyone who arrives, then when everyone is there we play games, then we open the presents, have the cake and sing happy birthday, then do free play as the children are starting to leave and I pack up the paper and anything else that needs to be packed up, any empty jars (I normally have olives and things from a jar) and any empty plates are either put away or refilled if people are happy to stay longer.

This year was a bit different, she asked for donations for a cause instead of gifts and they were given either at the front or up at the hospital part later into a tour. Those who did give her something either did so before or at the end and she opened it as it was given.

However, I said "other" because I don't think it's something where we can say this should happen or that should happen because different people do things in such different ways.

I like to see the kids open their presents, but sometimes it's given and taken home to be opened. DD has been a bit disappointed but she's also been told that different families do things in different ways and she's also always been given a thank you card by those who opened it at home and the child has thanked her for whatever it is she's bought, so she can see that it was opened and appreciated. So she's ok with that now.

MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The kids open presents infront of everyone.. Half of the time DD dives straight into them so we don't really have a choice haha!
    I don't mind if we give a present and they decide to open it in their own time

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    we went to a party on the weekend and they didn't open the presents there. DS and one of his mates were a bit upset about it. the friend went up to the parents and asked and they said that they would open them at home.

I understand that they might be worried about them getting messed up or something, but DS really wanted to see the Birthday Boy open his present.

I was really sad, because that is the fun of giving a present, seeing the person open it and appreciate it. When they don't, that is something that is only going to come with time, and they won't learn by opening their presents at home alone.

I say - at the party!!!