+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,011
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,786
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Question homemade christmas decos

    i am after some ideas to make some homemade christmas decos to put around the house. we only have a christmas tree and i dont want to blow my budget this close to christmas on store bought decos. i want to decorate my loungeroom.

    i dont own any tinsel, only 2 decos for the tree which we bought together and thats about it.

    what have you done with your kids to make it more christmassy at your house?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    821
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    82
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Paper chains? Sorry my brain isn't thinking much past that tonight

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,387
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    185
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    kmart is so cheap atm i reckon itd be cheaper going there than making things..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    At my house
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked
    121
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glue some pasta (macaroni, spirals etc) onto some rounds of cardboard and then spray paint silver or gold or any colour really. Add some ribbon to hang on your tree.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    pop corn threaded on a string!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Busselton
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    88
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i saw gingerbread angels/stars made to hang on a tree with a hole through the top threaded with string but i think by the time you bought the ingredients you may as well spent $5 at target or coles for a box of baubles.opshops also sell decorations really cheap.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    824
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    42
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    at playgroup today the lady brought a 6 pack of balls for $1.50 we then put glue on the kids hands and wrapped their hands around the ball and then put glitter on the ball, then we tied some curling ribbon around it and wella beautiful homemade xmas decos

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,011
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,786
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummaof4 View Post
    kmart is so cheap atm i reckon itd be cheaper going there than making things..
    but its not as much as making them yourself. i dont mind spending a little bit of money on a few things to make them but i dont want to spend over the top amounts plus i want to do an activity while we are home during the week that is fun

    Quote Originally Posted by amiee View Post
    at playgroup today the lady brought a 6 pack of balls for $1.50 we then put glue on the kids hands and wrapped their hands around the ball and then put glitter on the ball, then we tied some curling ribbon around it and wella beautiful homemade xmas decos
    that is such a fab idea and an awesome xmas present idea for my parents as well. i am going to most definatly do this next week as we have everything but the balls.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,843
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    432
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to always get creative at christmas time:

    An angle made out of paint, toilet roll, pipe cleaners, gliter.

    christmas snowman thing turned out cute (made it when i was 8 and i still have it) cut a peice on cardboard into a donut, then weave wool through and around the edge. Use different colours as you go if you wish. Once it finally gets really tight and you cant do it anymore. Tie a not and cut down the sides of the wool (along the cardboard edge) then cut the cardboard and remove it and there you have it a fulffy home made colourfull pompom (make several different sizes to make the head, legs etc) you could just leave them seperate and use them as the baw bawls.

    peg raindeer (made it when i was 6 and still hang it ever year) use 3 wooden pegs. line and glue 2 side by side (so it looks like 4 legs) turn the 3rd upside down and glue half way up beside one of the others (then you will have the head, body and 4 legs) use felt and gliter and an eye to decorate. I love mine so much

    some very odd ideas but they are fun hope it helps

    Oh and another one, we used to go and find pine cones and put glue on them and roll them in gliter. very pretty but a little prickly to leave around the house lol
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 03-12-2010 at 00:21.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,011
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,786
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poschgem View Post
    I used to always get creative at christmas time:

    An angle made out of paint, toilet roll, pipe cleaners, gliter.

    christmas snowman thing turned out cute (made it when i was 8 and i still have it) cut a peice on cardboard into a donut, then weave wool through and around the edge. Use different colours as you go if you wish. Once it finally gets really tight and you cant do it anymore. Tie a not and cut down the sides of the wool (along the cardboard edge) then cut the cardboard and remove it and there you have it a fulffy home made colourfull pompom (make several different sizes to make the head, legs etc) you could just leave them seperate and use them as the baw bawls.

    peg raindeer (made it when i was 6 and still hang it ever year) use 3 wooden pegs. line and glue 2 side by side (so it looks like 4 legs) turn the 3rd upside down and glue half way up beside one of the others (then you will have the head, body and 4 legs) use felt and gliter and an eye to decorate. I love mine so much

    some very odd ideas but they are fun hope it helps

    Oh and another one, we used to go and find pine cones and put glue on them and roll them in gliter. very pretty but a little prickly to leave around the house lol
    those are some really great ideas. thank you


 

Similar Threads

  1. Homemade Bonbon/ Christmas cracker ideas?
    By Lucy in the Sky in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-12-2011, 10:40
  2. Ideas for Christmas homemade treats to gift
    By Gothel in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 18-12-2011, 12:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!