+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya all, I'm so glad I found this thread, it's great to be among my people!
    We are diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I had a lap/hysteroscopy and all is clear, egg count came back good for my age (41), DH has a high percentage of abnormal sperm which inceased by 7% after coming off caffiene and going on Menevit. The FS said if I were younger he would tell us to go away and try for another year, but I'm not so here we are.
    We are in week 3 of our first 6 week cycle, I've been sniffing Syranel for the past 5 days and it's making me a bit 'switched on' (I'm being kind to myself, it's making me down right aggressive but am managing to contain it!), and have sat here reading all this posts crying at the unsuccesses and thinking how incredibley strong you all are. Perhaps that's just a bridge I have to get over before I can get the hell on with it and still function normally because at the moment, even in these early days I'm finding it quite exhausting.
    Anyway, I'm positive (as my friend said, if you don't believe it would work why would you bother to try?) and realise that it's not going to be a skip in the park unless we manage to be two of the few who are lucky first time. I read that acupunture can increase your chances so DH and I are off for our first appointment this morning.
    Nice to see I'm not the only newbie who's a bit niave on the subject, there's just so much information but it's nice to have some people to hold hands through the process. DH is wonderful but not a big talker and I'm away from my closest friends so it's great to have this forum for something to turn to.
    Good luck everyone, we can do it! .... oh yes we can.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LizzieG For This Useful Post:

Nrtee  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lizzie,
    i am sort of the same as you, 41, years of unexplained infertility, 9 cycles of ivf, for the since 2009. I have changed drs 3 times, but here are a couple of things I think you should look into.
    You can ask your fs about DHEA, it can improve the quality of your eggs. Also have you had your blood tested for killer anti-bodies? My fs did and found a high level, (over active immune system) and gave me prednisolone tablets for it. Theory is my body was rejecting embryos because of my immune system.
    Now I am in the tww so its just wait and see.
    best of luck,
    Jen xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick question (to those who are willing to answer!) -

how do you manage to pay for round after round of IVF? We are on our 1st cycle which is going to cost around $9K all up, of which we'll get about $5-6K back. That's still a huge dent in our savings just for one cycle. Without re-mortgaging the house or selling our assets, how do you pay for it month after month? I can't see us being able to afford this for much longer!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skitchy1 For This Useful Post:

Hope4Baby  (19-03-2011)

jayemkayare is offline Miracles don't just happen, they take hard work and determination.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    skitchy, It's not easy, harder for some than others. We sold one of our two cars to get across the first cycle, after we got the $4k back from medicare for that cycle we only had to find $4k for the future cycles. just have to make sure we don't spend the medicare rebate in the mean time. I increased my hours at work and DH is working one full time job and also a casual job on the weekends. The first cycle is the hardest because you need to find the full amount.

Sent from my iPod touch using Bub Hub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jayemkayare For This Useful Post:

Hope4Baby  (19-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Skitchy1,

I can recommend looking around for not for profit IVF such as RPAH Fertility Unit and Westmead Hospital both in Sydney. You only need to pay the out of pocket costs, about $4000. Look them up. If it wasn't for the RPAH I wouldn't be able to even contemplate this journey. The price list is on their website.

Goodluck.
    Daisy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, I'm in Perth and I know KEMH have a public clinic but the wait lists are huge and it's hard to get appointments. I guess it's just the initial outlay for the 1st cycle that's the hardest. Anyway, I have heard back from most of the Perth clinics and now have pricing lists in front of me to do a cost comparison. This month's ICSI has been cancelled so after next month's go I might look into changing clinics, will see how I go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jen, I'll keep it all crossed for you, hope you get your dream this time around. It's certainly frustrating being in the 'unexplained' bracket because there seems no way of fixing it, just time and effort I suppose. Thanks for the top tips, I'll certainly raise those points with my FS. Can I ask, what are your thoughts on twins?? My hubby and I are sorting hoping for them so we can get the two kids out in one pop, so to speak!!

Skitchy, we are having to put it all on credit cards, but we're both working fulltime so we'll have to pay it off once we're successful (positive mental attitude!). It's only our first go so if we're lucky this time it shouldn't be too difficult to manage but we'll have to reassess if things don't work out. I don't know if it's the norm, but we're doing what they call a gap payment, we don't pay the entire $8K, we pay $4.6K and the clinic claims the Medicare rebate directly, then our additional $1.2K out of pocket expenses are recoverable once the clinic receives their payment, approx a month later, so really we're just $3K in debt, which isn't too bad, we've just pulled our belts in and cut out a few luxuries. We took out private medical insurance last July and there's a 12 month wait period before you can claim for 'reproductive help' so once the wait is over we'll be able to get a bit more back. It's not cheap that's for sure but it's just one of those things that money is the lesser value I suppose.

Has everyone else given up alcohol completely? If ever I fancied a few glasses of wine it's now! A friend said her FS said she should have a glass or two on transfer day to help her relax but I can't see how it's a good thing, I don't even want to put panadol in my body at this point in time, what with it being a temple an' all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lizzie,
    I was praying for twins, but looks like not to be as I have started spotting today. ggrrrr..
    I have given up on all alcohol, cut out a lot of gluten, suger, a naturopath told me to avoid chicken as it ovulates every day, ans to avoid salads and ice cream as they have a cooling effect on the body and we are trying to keep our uterus warm..I don't know how much stock to invest in this information, interesting stuff though.
    It can be information overload sometimes.
    wishing you the best of luck.
    Jen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All

Only about a minute old here on the forum.

Great thread - myself and OH have made our first appt at Fertility Solutions Sunshine Coast next Friday. I am 37 and he is 41 we have been trying since late 2009, I had an ovarian cyst removed in Feb 2010, then did 8 mths of Clomophene tabs with no joy. Have been told to try IUI for a couple of goes (just to see if it works) then IVF.

I am finding it all quite daunting, however am willing to try anything at this stage. I don't really care who knows the path we have chosen to try, I think this will help with people being understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome Simjul! Everyone on here is really nice. The monthly threads for ladies doing IVF cycles are really good.