+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkitek View Post
    Hi Everyone!
    Thanks for all the really good tips, it really helps as a first timer hopefully this week! I don't feel quite so odd anymore! I'm starting an antagonist cycle at my next period (? Friday) and even if I sound like I know what I'm talking about (and had a really lovely nurse at Flinders explaining it all yesterday!) I'm panicking I'll get it all wrong!
    Good luck to you all!
    Hi Malkitec
    Can you explain what an antagonist cycle is? I have no idea which type of cycle I am doing. How do you know what type of cycle you are doing in advance? I have my starting drug (Elonva) and they tell you what to do from there depending on what is required. Is that not the way it works? My nurses haven't explained any of these things.

Regards

Angie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Milly888.... Normally clinics do a bloodtest before planning the first internal ultrasound, but it differs greatly from clinic to clinic, as well as what protocol you are on and how your body responds to the meds you are on, for example, my cycles:
    #1 BT day 6, US day 7, trigger day 8, EPU day 10
    #2 BT day 7, BT/US day 11, trigger day 12, EPU day 14
    #3 BT day 9, BT/US day 11, BT/US/trigger day 14, EPU day 16
    #4 BT day 6, BT/US day 8, BT/US day 10, US/trigger day 11, EPU day 14
    However, those days I've quoted above are based on day 1 being the first day of injections, as some protocols aren't based on when AF starts. So your ultrasound on day 10 from AF starting, is actually day 8 of injections. Hope that helps?

AFM.... I had my EPU this morning. We got 4 eggs, so I was pleased about that, since there were only 5 follicles in total (2x24mm and 3x10mm). We found out this afternoon that 2 were mature, so not surprised that the little ones didn't do much. Unfortunately the scientist who rang said there was no sperm from DH that was "of the quality we wanted", so they've injected both eggs with the anon donor sperm. So I had a nice cry, to finally get over not having any sperm from DH and not going to have his baby, but now feeling emotionally better having that finally out of the way and hopeful that the anon donor sperm is now going to work. It's good to be moving on.
    MCB - So sorry you had to use Donor sperm. Were you prepared for it?

I also have a couple of questions as you seem to have been doing IVF for a while. Have you ever used Elonva? My clinic are doing the following
    Injection of Elonva day 2, US and BT and see nurse on day 6 - they haven't gone into any further detail with me yet. I had to sign a barage of forms. I have to have a few tests so expect to start my first round of IVF mid May. Would you have any idea which type of cycle they are doing for me? I see so much written on BH about short protocol, long protocol and antagonist but don't really understand it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the Antagonist cycle is a short cycle - but I could be wrong. I was originally meant to be on that but my hormone levels werent quite right so they put me on a different one. Im not all up on the names though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (27-04-2013),T1gger  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All I could be going down this route soon. Just want to know if anyone has had reflexology done to help with the process as everyone has mentioned acupuncture (hubby will never do that as he is petrified of needles).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to salma77 For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (27-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just saw this and thought I would pop in.

An antagonist cycle is where AF arrives and you start meds about day 2 / 3. This is a follicle growth stimulant. A few days later you start injecting a second drug which stops your body from releasing eggs from the follicles so they can be collected. They usually do bloods and then ultrasounds every couple of days to check how you are responding to the drugs and they sometimes will change your dosage. Then they will advise an exact time to do another injection called the "trigger" somewhere about mid cycle. This gets the eggs ready for collection which typically happens 36 hours after the trigger. The eggs are then collected, and put with the sperm and on it goes from there.

A long cycle or down reg cycle is a different approach that addresses a specific issue or for people who don't respond well to the short cycle. Typically this involves an extended period of sniffing or injecting a drug in the cycle prior to starting treatment (so pre AF) that normalizes hormone levels and is a much slower process of stimulating the follicles. I am not as clear on this as I never did this personally.

I hope this helps somewhat?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Fingerscrossed79  (19-11-2013),Malkitek  (27-04-2013),Moose Caboose  (05-06-2013),mumof3boyz  (20-06-2014),T1gger  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    T1gger....yes, we found out about DH's lack of sperm 14 months ago. There's always been just 1 or 2 sperm in each sample, so they tried each time to see if we could get the magical one to do something. In October last year we changed clinics, in order to be with one that does anonymous donor sperm (as not many clinics do this). We kept hoping but really knew that even if we got DH's one sperm to fertilise, that there was likely to be something inherently wrong with it. DH had come to accept it well before me - he blames it on having major surgery in his teenage years, when it was normal to pump people full of steroids and other nasty things. It was usual practise 20-25 years ago, but I guess doctors know better now-adays.

When you start you cycle (mid-May you say?) your FS will tell you the name of the cycle as well as give you a written diagram or plan of the days. If they don't, they should, so ask. Some clinics call the cycles by different names. Here's the basic ones as I understand:
    * the long down regulation protocol (agonist) = sniffing Synarel or injecting Lucrin from Day 21 for about 12 days (to get levels down to a baseline), then continue sniffing Synarel or injecting Lucron, as well daily FSH injections for about 10 days (irrespective of when AF turns up), then trigger and EPU
    * the flare protocol = daily injections of Lucrin from Day 2 and injections of FSH from Day 3 - both for 11-12 days, until trigger and EPU
    * the short protocol (antagonist) = FSH injections from Day 2 for about 11 days, then extra Orgalutran or Centride from Day 6 for about 7 days, then trigger and EPU

No, I have never used Elonva, but there are quite a few different medications that do similar things - it seems to be mostly up to the choice of the clinic and FS, as to what they prefer or use mostly. I used Gonal F and Lucrin in my first two cycles, Gonal F and Synarel in my third cycle and Menopur and Synarel in my fourth cycle. After transfers, I used Crinone (cream) in my 1st, Pessaries in my 3rd and Pregnyl (injections) in this 4th cycle (apparently holds AF for a long time, to prevent it coming early and mucking up any potential implantation). There's no magic formula, and what works for one women, doesn't necessarily work for the next. Good luck :-))

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

angelmama74  (27-04-2013),Malkitek  (27-04-2013),Moose Caboose  (05-06-2013),T1gger  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    I had my appointment to check out what was going on with my Hormones and follicles this morning, I was pretty nervous but excited. I got a call from my nurse this afternoon to say that I will be taking my 'Trigger' injection on Saturday night and that I'm booked in for Monday morning for Egg Collection. WOW... I said to my sister today that it doesn't feel like this is happening to me, almost like this only happens to other people. Luckily she knew what I was trying to say (feel like my brain has been out there on it's own lately), I feel like I haven't made much sense!
    So I do have a question, just wondering if anyone has any tips about what is the best thing for the body after Egg Collection, besides the relaxation and taking it easy? Maybe its a silly question?
    Hope everyone out there has had a good day

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen1978 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (27-04-2013),Milly888  (28-04-2013),T1gger  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jen1978.... relaxation and taking it easy is the best thing, as well as drinking a lot of water.

AFM.... unfortunately, our little embryo stopped growing, and this morning (day 5) it was still only 4 cells, so it's all over for us. It's very sad, because even with donor sperm we didn't get lucky, and now the possibility of it never happening seems rather real. Waiting for the FS's phonecall, then will probably take a couple of months break and try again in June or July.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MGCBertie... Thank you and I'm so sorry to read about your embryo. I'll speak for myself but I'm all our thoughts are with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by T1gger View Post
    Hi Malkitec
    Can you explain what an antagonist cycle is? I have no idea which type of cycle I am doing. How do you know what type of cycle you are doing in advance? I have my starting drug (Elonva) and they tell you what to do from there depending on what is required. Is that not the way it works? My nurses haven't explained any of these things.

Regards

Angie
    Hi Angie,
    I see some lovely people who know much more than me have explained the antagonist cycle. It is very short which surprised me, I start with gonal f injections for six days, then orgalutran as well for three days then probably a scan looking for follicles then. The nurses gave me a printed sheet of the whole thing but as such a newbie I still am struggling! I am so worried I'll forget something or get it wrong! How long do you take your first drug for?

Hi Jen 1978, how exciting! I think I would be a nervous wreck! Good luck!

Hi MGC Bertie, I'm so sorry to hear your news

Gill x
    Last edited by Malkitek; 27-04-2013 at 18:40.