+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Paid Maternity Leave and going overseas?

Does anybody knows if the 18 week paid maternity leave applies if I plan to go overseas?

I know for some centerlink benefits, they stop it if they find that you are overseas for more than a certain period of time

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I have read as long as you check the relevent list of things before you take leave, such as working the minimum hours/days, then doesn't matter what you do while you are on leave, they should still pay it. I don't think I read anywhere that you had to be in Australia during the maternity leave.
    I'm also pretty sure (don't quote me) but sure that the government actually give the payment to your employer and they pay it to you. So I think once your application has been approved there's not much they can do anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you're eligible if you leave the country.

According to the Centrelink Website:

"Paid Parental Leave Scheme - To be eligible the claimant must meet the residency requirements. This means that the claimant must be residing in Australia."

Do you plan on leaving the country straight away? It can be claimed anytime in the first year, so you could claim it before you go or after you return?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well as long as she's an Australian citizen she would be eligible. If she's only going overseas for an extended holiday they'd still have to pay it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh..
    I thought the paid maternity leave is paid to me through the employer...
    so, it isn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope it's going to be paid by the government. Go have a look at centrelink website it's easy to understand!!

Also you can still get pp from cl if your overseas you just need to advise and you can't go for more then 18 weeks ( I think that is the time can't remember) so I don't see why this would be different

Thanks
    Reviews
    del79- you are correct, just not yet, just too far ahead of yourself.

My understanding is that from Jan 11 it will be paid through Centrelink, but the plan is to have it paid through your employer come Jul 11 (whether it happens or not will be interesting!). Employers will have to get reimbursed from Centrelink. I have looked into this as it will be about then that I will start using it (after my employer funded mat leave).

I would think that as long as it is not a permanent move you would be fine getting the payments OP.
    Last edited by oconky; 27-11-2010 at 19:12. Reason: add a sentence

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tbh I am not sure how it exactly works with employers they may get it beforehand, but I do know that is how they hope to administer it long term.
    I agree it would need to be punctual payments otherwise small or even big business would be struggling and certainly not an incentive for employers.

I think it will end up in the too hard basket, but the govt may prove me wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by del79 View Post
    Does anybody knows if the 18 week paid maternity leave applies if I plan to go overseas?

I know for some centerlink benefits, they stop it if they find that you are overseas for more than a certain period of time

Did you get any information on this? I just wanted to know that if you are getting paid parental leave and if you go overseas for sometime in between during that period, will I continue to get payments or will it stop?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got paid mine by my employer very recently as part of my normal wage.