+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought of another one - Getting out of the car, grabbing my handbag and just walking straight into a shop. Now it involves unstrapping DS from the car seat, getting out the ergo or pram, strapping him in, sometimes popping his shoes on, idling into the shop and usually forgetting my handbag in the process I ducked out to the shops the other day without him to get some lunch and was surprised at how quick and easy the trip was lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nietzsche View Post

My life before children seems *unbelievably luxurious*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Things I thought I was prepared for but still take me by surprise:
    • No 'me' time, at all. I shower, sleep, eat, shop and clean with a baby attached to me.
    • A quiet breakfast or dinner with my partner, we used to do breakfast every Saturday morning, now we take turns eating cereal.
    • Having clean clothes, everything I wear has a stain on it.
    • Drinking a hot cup of coffee, either it goes cold or it's not convenient near a young child.
    • Trying to run errands quickly, nothing happens quickly when you have a child attached to the situation
    • Sleeping in or just sleeping in general for more than a few hours.

I think if I had a bucket list for before kids the number one thing would be spontaneity, like someone said having ice-cream at 2am, going for breakfast, coffee and cake or just for a walk and enjoying time with my partner as a couple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, what an overwhelming response! Thanks so much for sharing, it has been a real eye opener and exactly what I needed .

I had NO idea that showering and using the loo in private were no longer an option after kids! My DH locks himself in there for ages with his reading material- I'll tell him to enjoy it while it lasts .

I'm off to have a nice long shower, get dressed, leave the house with only my handbag, keys and phone, and have lunch with a friend!

You ladies are the best! Thank you for coming to my rescue and putting a smile back on my face.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't forget to enjoy not having to pull over because bub is crying in the back and being able to wear what you want without worrying about how your going to get a boob out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Enjoy Lindy, I'm jealous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading a book and finishing a whole chapter

Going out to dinner / breakfast

Eating without interuption

Popping into the shop / Post Office without having to make it a mamoth effort

Going to the movies - I havent been since DD was born

Having a loooong shower

Time to apply make up without rushing

Being able to wear my hair down without it being pulled on

Feeling like a packhorse when I walk out the door

Warm coffee... alas mine always seems to be cold when I go to drink it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a bucket list is a GREAT idea.
    The year before we got pregnant, we had a VERY indulgent year - went out for dinner once a week, met up constantly with our non-baby friends for drinks and parties, slept in, breakfast in bed with the paper, spent a couple of weekends away at a B&B. Now, when life is so boring and exhausting and un-indulgent, I look back VERY fondly on that year, and I'm glad we did it!

Here is what I miss:

Only having to look after one person - me!

Ringing up DH spontaneously on the way home from work and saying "hey, lets meet in town and we'll go out for dinner" and not getting home til 1am.

Doing anything spontaneously, actually.

Being able to catch up on sleep whenever you need it, not feeling tired all the time.

Sex at anytime other than between 8pm, when DS goes to sleep, and 10pm, when I'm ready to pass out from my long day (DS gets up at 6am, so morning sex is not an option).

Sleeping in, lazy weekends, having brunch out at 11am.

Toned body, non-saggy boobs, non-flabby tummy, not having permanent bags under my eyes.

Being able to go on holidays! Being able to travel.

Going shopping for long enough to actually find something that looks good on you (remember the flabby tummy and saggy boobs?!) without having a toddler chuck a tantrum in the middle of Myer.

Adult company on a daily basis and having a greater sense of purpose than making play dough and reading Spot books (I'm a SAHM).

Having the time to look after yourself - actually blowdry your hair and put on makeup, let alone look after your nails, apply a face mask, or use a hair treatment!

Going to the movies (even with a babysitter, it was ages before I felt comfortable doing this, because for a few hours your phone is off!! That's scary for a mum!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    BC -

I worked for myself, and could work nights when/if I chose - I worked 4 long days a week and had three day w/e when I chose too

I had money for incidental stuff when ever I chose

I had a two door Suziki Vitara - it had always been a car I'd always wanted

I had a motorbike

My house stayed tidy

The bathroom was usuable

The toilet was clean

DTD happen where ever and when ever and .... TMI

I could get up and leave the house within 10 minutes if I needed too

I always got to work early

Sleep in all day Sunday if I wanted too

Going to my mums at a drop of a hat and staying the w/e
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 20-11-2010 at 12:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sleep, sleep and sleep!

oh and sex and spontaneity!!
    There are sooooo many things!!