User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting a rental application approved

Just wondering how some of the single parents out there managed to get a rental in their city when rents are so high and always higher than the 1/3 of income that agents will approve for.
    Eg, in Bris standard rent is around $200/week for a flat. Single parent, 1 child, income support from Centrelink maxes out at around $850 fortnight, including rent assistance (which you can't get UNTIL you have a lease).
    It just seems like an impossible conundrum, yet there must be a way around it.
    Me: 31
    Abbeycakes almost 3yo: All grown up and off to do something amazing
    Baby girl Rowen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Believe me. I struggled. It took 10 weeks of fulltime house hunting with a newborn before someone would take a chance on me. And even then it was only because my previous property manager gave me an extremely glowing reference. Now im just hoping to find her again before I move in 9 months as she has changed agencies and I dont want to have to go through my previous struggle. Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other option is community housing, organisations who rent to specific groups eg when I was a single mum I was with Womens Housing Inc, who only rent houses to women escaping DV. Your rent is calculated as a percentage of your income. Waiting lists can be long, but if you've got a real need (and a social worker who can advocate for you) then you might be moved up the list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you go the department of housing they will once you have chosen a property to rent privately provide you with the money for the bond (by way of a cheque).

When i first left my ex i had trouble getting a house.

I ended up telling the realestate man that i would have the money paid via centerlink centrepay.

Anyhow i got the property and i guess he changed his views about single parents as i not only was a good tenant but i was in advance with my rent and when i left not only got the bond back but around three hundred dollars extra rent that i had paid in advance.

Community housing is a good organisation and although i havent heard about the other domestic violence housing i suppose it would be long term???

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was looking (for months), I had one agent tell me how much I can afford in rent... I went ballistic at her asking her if I look stupid enough to not be able to budget before searching for a home in rental prices I KNOW I can afford!?

Anyway, she wasn't pleased and I don't care.

I actually printed out my pay from centrelink, Added that it didn't include the rental assistance payment and that was just a base payment.
    The agent I'm with now took one look at my pay and considered quitting his job lol I had to explain to him that I had budgetted, I had a great record even being slow on past payments when I lost my job but that I paid in full weeks before I left there, that I was incredibly anal about cleaning etc etc I basically blurbed it all out LOL
    They didn't check my references after that?? lol But I think just being honest and open, and probably carrying around a small child helped.

Agents do take "chances" on people on centrelink payments... It's just a matter of finding one that's smart enough to realise you don't want a black mark next to your name and will always pay on time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    for a property at $200 a week - you shouldnt have any issues renting it based on income.
    I pay over $200 now.. and only get FA for one child.. so id be on approximately the same as you.
    Id put it down to the fact that there are just too many tenants and not enough housing available- so someone has to miss out.

i dont recall ever being told that my rent couldnt be over 1/3 of my income. If you apply for a bond loan I know that it can't be more than 60%.
    You may want to double check your figures with the appropriate agencies to make sure.
    Ive rentedover 15 homes in QLD.. and never had the 1/3 rule in play.
    (moved to Vic three years ago - to clarify why Im saying I was renting in qld)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually Illusional ive heard the 1/3 rule too and its a rule across the country. Its just some places are more tight then others about it and some dont want to give a young or solo parent a shot at it, so they use the 1/3 rule as a way of saying no.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember when Dad left my Mum and we needed to find a new rental property my Mum just had to end up being honest.

We couldn't get any assistance with bond as they would only give it to us if we found a property within the price range they established which was near impossible. Their were NO properties for that price range so we had to borrow it off my GP's and pay it back in installments.

We were less than a week away from being homeless and yet we were not eligible for assistance as our situation wasn't dire!!!! Housing Department was a 7-10 year wait and our local community housing was 3-4 years. So not much help when you have nowhere to go right now. We ended up getting a complete dump that was on a huge block of land and was being demolished for townhouses so we knew we were going to have to move again but hoped we could get some glowing references which we did as Mum made the house beautiful as she has done with every rental property.

Problem was the real estate wanted us to put Dad's name on the lease even though they knew my parents were not together and then they changed it to my Mum's name later on. They said it looked better to the landlord. We are very lucky Dad agreed and it didn't all go pear shaped.

Make a budget and show them youcan afford it.

The frustrating things is that single parents can be so much more industrious and can do budgeting wonders than regular couples as they have to make a small budget go a long way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only way I have survived in the rental game is that my dad and just recently my best friends brother live with us. If I didn't have them or at least dad my son and I would be living out of my car (exaggeration there) but YKWIM.

I'm looking at moving back to Vic next year (nearer to family) and my dad and housemate are not coming with me so I will be searching for a place on my own so I will be facing these things then.

I may need all your help when it's my turn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    aaaawwwwww - i'm dreading the day we have to move out here after hearing all these stories The house i'm renting with my mum has been sold, we will find out next Friday whether we have to move and when, but we already decided that we wont move in together again - unless it has a granny flat for my mum or a seperate aera for her iykwim

So it's just me and Bub (17 months) ~ oh, and 2 cats

hmmm....i certainly didn't take into account that Single Mum's a preceived as non- working and non-paying tennants
    Belinda 32
    Riley - 6 my little ray of sunshine