Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think both parties making a false declaration is better than one party making a false declaration.

Also, doesn't there have to be screening before-hand to classify as a donor? This would mean you couldn't do this if you fell pregnant to a 'casual' partner anyway, because they wouldn't be able to be considered a donor.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MickQLD4110 View Post
    I don't think both parties making a false declaration is better than one party making a false declaration.

Also, doesn't there have to be screening before-hand to classify as a donor? This would mean you couldn't do this if you fell pregnant to a 'casual' partner anyway, because they wouldn't be able to be considered a donor.
    The choice is a child having a donor registered as their father or nothing registered. If the mother were to die, for example, a child may never know the identity of their father. This way, there is a legal record. So, in my mind, it is the lesser of two evils.

For the mother it is also a safer route, as both parents are equally culpable, as she cannot be accused of having falsified the record by the father at a later date.

I'm TTC with a known donor at the moment - no there is no requirement for screening at home - only in a clinic with a registered donor. The point here is that it is a self-declaration of intention to conceive.

Fro a child's point of view, it might be better to think of oneself as intentionally created rather than abandoned, even if it may not be entirely truthful.

This isn't something I'm condoning; I went through a lot of legal nonsense to have FOB on Esme's birth certificate because she has two parents, but the consequences of that are complex and on-going. I know that he would have preferred this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Mick - the donor thing is mainly clear where there is no involvement, but where there is a 'known' donor there have been some rulings. For example, one woman had a known donor who was a gay man, and when the child was 2 he decided that he wanted access, and he got it, but as a 'person with an interest in the child', ie like an uncle or a grandparent, not as a father, so just some time, not 50/50. Donors cannot be asked to pay child support, the law is clear on that, as they are not parents, but they can get access.

LV - I think more choice is always a good thing. As men don't have the choice to abort or have adopted an unwanted pregnancy, for some couples this may be a solution. It has to be consensual though, as both parents have to agree that this was donation not intentional procreation. For women who very much don't want to share their baby, and men who don't want to be a father, this may be a better way than completely denying the father's existence.
    I wish we could back date this lol I think it is a good idea actually. I dont suppose a mom could go back and edit the BC to say the father is just a donor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I wish we could back date this lol I think it is a good idea actually. I dont suppose a mom could go back and edit the BC to say the father is just a donor?
    I wouldn't think so. Obviously if that were the case then no father would be listed. Besides, don't you have 4 kids to your ex? They would know there was a relationship happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Obviously if that were the case then no father would be listed. Besides, don't you have 4 kids to your ex? They would know there was a relationship happening.
    No not for me lol that would be a tad obvious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    No not for me lol that would be a tad obvious.
    That would be deceitful still. I think this would work for people who want a baby, no relationship, no interference. They can use donor sperm and have it recognised.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Closed as this thread is nearly 18months old and the original poster (and original responders to the thread) have go the information that they need.