Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Wink Registering Births - New Rules in Victoria

I'm writing this for single, pregnant women, who are wondering what to put on the birth registration forms when the father wants no involvement. Pay attention, as it's a bit complex.

I have been going through the new laws here in Victoria concerning registering births as a single parent.

Births, Deaths and Marriages has now taken over the registration of donor conceptions. What this means is that home donor conceived babies, [ie turkey basting with a known donor to intentionally make a baby], can be registered as having a donor, not a father. In this case the certificate is issued without a father's name, but his name is held on the donor registry, and can be accessed when the child is 18.

In practice, what this means is that if you write a letter to BDM and state that your baby was donor conceived at home, and the donor also writes a letter stating that your baby was donor conceived at home. He then won't have parental responsibility, but his name will be recorded on the donor registry.

The law differentiates between 'intended parents' and donors. So in this case there would be no need to lie about the identity of the father to obtain a blank certificate, and his name would be available to the child, but he would have no parental responsibility and not be liable for child support.

There is some lack of clarity in what happens if a donor decides to change his mind, [there are cases where donors have been awarded some access to the child]. But stating that a donor never intended to be a parent at birth is legally safer for the mother, than if she were to lie about the father's identity and he changes his mind later on.

So if it's possible to negotiate with an absent father before registering the birth, when neither of you want involvement and you don't want child support, then this may be something worth considering. It's a creative retrospective interpretation of the law, but means that children have their two biological parents registered and both adults have clear roles as parent and donor.

Clear as mud? See Rainbow Families for more details.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2012),sweetseven  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm wondering, how does state law override Commonwealth law in regards to child support for example for single mothers?

This is something that needs a national and consistent approach. Because at the moment if it's a single parent, then the donor may still be considered the father for purposes of child support. They may also be able to go to court to gain parental responsibility and visitation as well.

I don't think it's fair on potential parents to create such a minefield.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetperfectchild View Post
    I'm writing this for single, pregnant women, who are wondering what to put on the birth registration forms when the father wants no involvement. Pay attention, as it's a bit complex.

I have been going through the new laws here in Victoria concerning registering births as a single parent.

Births, Deaths and Marriages has now taken over the registration of donor conceptions. What this means is that home donor conceived babies, [ie turkey basting with a known donor to intentionally make a baby], can be registered as having a donor, not a father. In this case the certificate is issued without a father's name, but his name is held on the donor registry, and can be accessed when the child is 18.

In practice, what this means is that if you write a letter to BDM and state that your baby was donor conceived at home, and the donor also writes a letter stating that your baby was donor conceived at home. He then won't have parental responsibility, but his name will be recorded on the donor registry.

The law differentiates between 'intended parents' and donors. So in this case there would be no need to lie about the identity of the father to obtain a blank certificate, and his name would be available to the child, but he would have no parental responsibility and not be liable for child support.

There is some lack of clarity in what happens if a donor decides to change his mind, [there are cases where donors have been awarded some access to the child]. But stating that a donor never intended to be a parent at birth is legally safer for the mother, than if she were to lie about the father's identity and he changes his mind later on.

So if it's possible to negotiate with an absent father before registering the birth, when neither of you want involvement and you don't want child support, then this may be something worth considering. It's a creative retrospective interpretation of the law, but means that children have their two biological parents registered and both adults have clear roles as parent and donor.

Clear as mud? See Rainbow Families for more details.
    So, like an "opt out" option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loquaciousvibes View Post
    So, like an "opt out" option?
    no - it would be an opt-in option.

although i do see men abusing it and saying 'i don't want the baby - just put me down as the donor'

but i would assume the intended purpose is for lesbian couples (or single mums wanting more kids) to create the kids without having to lie about it 'ohh...well see, i got drunk and had s3x with max a backpacker from england...i don't know his last name though - sorry?'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by I am not Esther View Post
    no - it would be an opt-in option.

although i do see men abusing it and saying 'i don't want the baby - just put me down as the donor'
    I think its a cleverly disguised opt in to opt out for some people.

And for others a really great idea and solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mick - the donor thing is mainly clear where there is no involvement, but where there is a 'known' donor there have been some rulings. For example, one woman had a known donor who was a gay man, and when the child was 2 he decided that he wanted access, and he got it, but as a 'person with an interest in the child', ie like an uncle or a grandparent, not as a father, so just some time, not 50/50. Donors cannot be asked to pay child support, the law is clear on that, as they are not parents, but they can get access.

LV - I think more choice is always a good thing. As men don't have the choice to abort or have adopted an unwanted pregnancy, for some couples this may be a solution. It has to be consensual though, as both parents have to agree that this was donation not intentional procreation. For women who very much don't want to share their baby, and men who don't want to be a father, this may be a better way than completely denying the father's existence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree SPC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hey that's really cool! I like that idea. It should be the same in all states. I had a friend in Victoria who conceived using a known donor, she's in a same-sex relationship and is down as the mother but at that time she pretty much had to lie about not knowing the identity of the father so that he wouldn't have to have any more involvement than squirting his stuff into a cup for her to use. She is not a single parent and they are not on benefits but didn't want him to be tied to the baby at this stage. All his details are kept for the baby so that when he's older he will know who his father is, but it was horrible that she had to blatantly lie to keep the father from having to have involvement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetperfectchild View Post
    As men don't have the choice to abort or have adopted an unwanted pregnancy, for some couples this may be a solution. It has to be consensual though, as both parents have to agree that this was donation not intentional procreation.
    Sadly this isn't correct. If the child was conceived by sexual intercourse between the woman and a man, the resulting child is his, regardless. This only covers artificial insemination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MickQLD4110 View Post
    Sadly this isn't correct. If the child was conceived by sexual intercourse between the woman and a man, the resulting child is his, regardless. This only covers artificial insemination.
    Yes, you've spotted the tricky bit. But as BDM require a stat dec from both parties, it evens out the question of who is telling the lies. You have to specify that the child was conceived by donor insemination, however, I would argue that it's better to creatively reinterpret the act of conception than completely erase a biological parent from the record, which is what a lot of women choose to do at the moment.