+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter&jelly View Post
    Sigh.

DF just put his resume in, his Dad is friends with the union rep who is good friends with the pit manager, they all sit around getting sh*tfaced.
    Not really what I want to hear :/ For us, it means DF leaving, living hours and hours away through the week and seeing him on weekends it looks like at the moment. And him studying in every spare moment to better himself and have some education applicable to mining and have some security there too. Sigh.
    If its a stepping stone to get you where you need to be, try every avenue possible. DH knows that many people in mines its not funny. Just keep applying till you win.

FWIW - there is a new one opening near us soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Dad worked in the mines in central Queensland and the money is good but like others said you have to know someone. My Dad was also saying they like people who play football so they can have them on the company team (this is in central qld not sure if it's different now or in other places) Most of the people I went to school with went straight into mine jobs after finishing school. Where I used to live is ridiculously expensive though your looking at renting 3 bedroom houses for around $1000. And the cost of living in terms of petrol and fuel is also extreme too. When we lived there 15 years ago Dad was renting our 4 bedroom from BHP for $14 a week so things have definitely changed a lot.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    There are a couple of other companies that supply people to do general labouring, cooking, cleaning etc ... with no real experience required.

the hourly rate for this kind of work is roughly the same as anywhere else ... but its long hours so loads of money, and they provide food etc. Usually is 2 weeks on 1 week off ... but the 2 weeks on are 12 hr days (with overtime rates it adds up pretty quickly)

So it does end up being heaps of extra money

If you are interested, pm me and I can put you in touch with one of the companies that I know that does this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    If its a stepping stone to get you where you need to be, try every avenue possible. DH knows that many people in mines its not funny. Just keep applying till you win.

FWIW - there is a new one opening near us soon.
    Which just sounds more positive for the whole thing, DF's parents are in Edgeworth... sigh. Damnit. I don't like it, but its his life too :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    you dont need experince to get into the mines, and although it does help knowing someone, you can get in without knowing someone.

your dp needs to go through somewhere like skilled or monos, check to see if they have any ta jobs going up north. he would be required to undertake a medical and if successful they would organise and pay for all his courses such as working at heights and confined space, white card etc

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey Tt where's that mine? Just wondering cause dh is in a mine up the valley but he works for a contracting company. So he works side by side, hour by hour, job by job with people earning $45k a year more than him for EXACTLY the same work. So demoralizing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by She-ra View Post
    Hey Tt where's that mine? Just wondering cause dh is in a mine up the valley but he works for a contracting company. So he works side by side, hour by hour, job by job with people earning $45k a year more than him for EXACTLY the same work. So demoralizing!!
    Either singleton or mussalbrook (spl). I can't remember who owns it though. DH is going to try & find out today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My DH works in the mining industry in QLD. He applied for jobs for ages before he got anything and it was only after he did a 'Generic Induction' course (not sure if it's called the same thing in WA). He also got his truck license and senior first aid cert.

Once this was on his resume he seemed to have a flood of offers. No one seemed to care that he was a qualified mechanic. Infact a lot of the guys DH works with have no qualifications what so ever and their previous jobs were completely unrelated.

He did not know anyone in the industry so did not get a job this way. Now he has been working in the industry he has made plenty of contacts which has been helpful to move jobs/find positions making more money.

The money is good. Just make sure the company pays for flights, food and accommodation otherwise it may not be worth it.

DH started out as an offsider for a drilling company...good way to get in without experience. The company will send you for a medical/physical of they want you for a position.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It can be hard to get into and I agree they really love people with experience, BHP are the hardest to get in with. Hubby got his foot in the door via doing lots of courses and his background also helped (army, firefighting and training) but they were all relevant to what he was applying for, yeah he got his foot in the door by working for a temp agency (choice one) he got a lot of good references along the way so that helped too. Knowing someone is also an added bonus, especially if they are higher up the food chain. I'll agree the conditions can be pretty crap the food worse when FIFO but we are very lucky to be living residential at the moment in a closed town, so no random people, no rent, utilities and free facilities (pool, gym) and a free family flight to Perth what works out to be once every fortnight, hubby still does 8 days on 6 days off followed by 7 nights on 7 nights off, and he is home for eating/sleeping while getting half the year off as well.

And yes, the pay is awesome, bonuses and cheap gold prices for employees help

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in the mines in Roxby Downs, SA. They are going to be the biggest open cut mine eventually.

My DP is a fitter & machinist by trade but has other certificates. He just put his resume in at skilled, and then he got the job. He doubled his salary from what we were earning in Adelaide. He works 9 on 5 off. I would be applying for shut down work such as sentry work then you will have some sort of experience then you will be able to hear about jobs etc.

Your partner if he has no experience in those kind of trades could get sentry work for shut downs, T.A, even cleaners get great money.

Goodluck hun xx