+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you get a job in the mines?

I've heard a lot of people talk about work in the W.A mines but how do you get a job there? Don't you need to have some sort of experience/degree to work there?

ppl talk about how good the money is but is it really?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH has a degree in Metallurgy. And yes the money is great!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of ours is applying as he drives loaders, forklifts, hr trucks etc
    Another friend worked out there as a diesel mechanic
    you need to pass medical, drug tests and psych tests

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    my dad drove to all the ones in north qld and approached them. he finally got an interview and it was done in brissy by the owner as they were in brissy and he was working 2wks later. mum got a job up there by doing the same thing but she waited until she moved up there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The money is more than enough.

Either need to look really good on paper or know someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Knowing somebody helps. A lot.

A degree isn't necessary. There are lots of varied jobs, some requiring degrees, others working in the camp, cooking, cleaning, gym instructors etc.

The money is very good I believe.

I think the lowest paying mine job that I personally have heard of is $80,000 per year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, my husband works in the mines for a few years, basically the company he works for (steelfixing) applied for a job up there and they all went up there to work,
    its a good start to life for young peopel, if we didnt have DD id be there driving a truck or something, and yes money is worth it.
    average 2k a week, on a good week with pub holidays, overtime etc, it can be much more, DH also gets money put into a fund each week to take out on completion of the job, abdout 6 k a year, and then there is tax time where lots is claimable so yeh.

but its also much harder work, in worse climates, with more rules and lots of regualtions, DH has to do breath tests everyday, eat crap food, swelter in 45+ heat
    live in a crappy shipping container and only see his family once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and his family has worked in the mines etc for ever. You really need to know someone from experience. They are generally REALLY hard to get into. Lots of applications, interviews, traveling, medicals etc. Most I know that dont know anyone dont get in

The money is AMAZING!!!!! The shift work is not so great (depending on location and roster, but generally they suck)

I dont think you need to have a skill (everyone i know in the mines does though) I know FIL became a fitter and turner in the mines (did his apprenticeship in the mines when he was young)

Good Luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mines what people with experience, only way to get experience is to get into a mine, only way to do that is to know someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Mines what people with experience, only way to get experience is to get into a mine, only way to do that is to know someone.
    Sigh.

DF just put his resume in, his Dad is friends with the union rep who is good friends with the pit manager, they all sit around getting sh*tfaced.
    Not really what I want to hear :/ For us, it means DF leaving, living hours and hours away through the week and seeing him on weekends it looks like at the moment. And him studying in every spare moment to better himself and have some education applicable to mining and have some security there too. Sigh.