+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rbwh birth centre vs wesley hospital brisbane

Help! I originally had my heart set on going to the rbwh birth centre in brisbane and put my name down for the ballot. However, since i heard it's hard to get into i also booked into my local private hospital (which is conveniently 5 mins from home) and started seeing an obs who delivers there. This was meant to be the back-up plan but after having our first appt with her both my husband and i really like her style and the hospital is so much easier to get to for us. Today i got accepted to the birth centre as well so now i don't know what to do - i've been trawling through the forums all night and can't find much to fault the birth centre, which is why i picked it in the first place. Has anyone been through both and can comment? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenappletree View Post
    Help! I originally had my heart set on going to the rbwh birth centre in brisbane and put my name down for the ballot. However, since i heard it's hard to get into i also booked into my local private hospital (which is conveniently 5 mins from home) and started seeing an obs who delivers there. This was meant to be the back-up plan but after having our first appt with her both my husband and i really like her style and the hospital is so much easier to get to for us. Today i got accepted to the birth centre as well so now i don't know what to do - i've been trawling through the forums all night and can't find much to fault the birth centre, which is why i picked it in the first place. Has anyone been through both and can comment? Sorry for the long post.
    Hi I recently delivered my son at the Birth Centre. I was accidentally referred to them and soooo glad i was!

Have never been private but talking to friends the difference really seems to be that private obs take a more medical approach eg they had more regular scans, were weighed each visit, more talk of risk and induction, caesarians etc. The birth centre midwives seemed to screen for any problems but more took the approach that my body was doing what it needed to. I guess it depends on what you're after. As for the actual care during birth, the birth centre midwives were truly fantastic! A few friends who went private at Mater & Wesley also had positive experiences but some had midwives they weren't keen on and the midwives were there the whole time with the obs popping in so that did impact on their experience. However if you have complications (I did) at the Birth Centre you get taken down the hall to the birth suite where you'll see whichever obstetrician is available. Generally if you're private you will have your obstetrician.
    Ive had friends go for and low intervention births at Wesley & Mater, they've had to be a bit pushy though and have had good advocates during their labors.
    I guess it depends what experience you're after and what's most important for you- there really are pros and cons of both.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with your decision.

Bon4 is offline These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want a less medicalised, low intervention, normal birth I would go for the birth centre. I have a friend who gave birth there and she said it was fantastic. Of course you have to really want a natural, no drugs birth though.

You are basically looking a two different approaches/philosophies when it comes to the birth centre vs the Wesley. Midwives approach birth from the perspective that it is a completely normal and natural process and do have a more "hands off" approach - letting the body do what it is designed to do. Whereas an obstetrician looks at birth more from a perspective of risk, and how to manage that risk. Which usually (not always though) means more intervention, more monitoring and higher likelihood of induction and c/s.

I don't know much about the Wesley, but I do know (from a friend who worked there in admin) that they have a high c/s rate. As in, higher than the national average. And they don't really "do" natural birth - as in, low intervention, no drugs.

If it were me I would choose the birth centre, but you have to go where you feel most comfortable and depending on how you feel you want your birth to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon4 View Post
    I don't know much about the Wesley, but I do know (from a friend who worked there in admin) that they have a high c/s rate. As in, higher than the national average. And they don't really "do" natural birth - as in, low intervention, no drugs.
    I've had 2 births at the Wesley now (my 2nd just last week) and both were low intervention and no drugs. I'd actually planned for an elective C/S for DS but ended up with a VB. I'd planned for a drug-free VB with DD and everything panned out just the way I'd planned. The MW's at the Wesley were great both times - encouraging and letting me do what I needed to do. I didn't get my own Ob to deliver DS (as it was her weekend off) and the Ob I did get refused to give me my C/S even though I asked for it (DS was nearly out). I got my own Ob last week and she was fantastic.

IMO the Ob you choose will determine how your birth goes. Take your time to choose your Ob and choose carefully. My sis had a couple of terrible births and that was due to the attitude of her Ob not because she birthed at the Wesley.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello, I recently had my baby at the Wesley and I was so incredibly happy with the facility, staff - everything!

My birth was AMAZING - I was very lucky to have it go so smoothly, and bubs knew exactly what to do, but I have to say the midwives were wonderful. I had no intervention, completely natural except for a few sucks on the gas

I had the best of care for 4 days following the birth. Some people don't like the idea of being in hospital after a good birth, but I really enjoyed it. It is the one time in your life that you have people to check your health, help you with breastfeeding, physiotherapist to check you and give great tips, YUMMY food (I had gelati for my dessert at every meal and bacon, eggs, baked beans and toast for brekky every day!), constantly bring you drinks, bring you snacks in the middle of the night when you are breastfeeding and offer to take your baby to nursery just for a few hours sleep if they are difficult to settle.

The maternity ward doesn't feel like a hospital and then you have all your friend and family come visit and you don't have to worry about "entertaining" - putting on food and cleaning up for them! If you go with the public hospital you will probably be in there for a night, following a good birth.

I loved being there so much that when I was home, and had difficult nights with my baby, I would secretly wish we were back there. I know that sounds crazy right!

Oh, and if it's your first bub you get a free 1hr breastfeeding clinic within the 3 weeks after birth so if breastfeeding isn't going aswell as you hope, check into the clinic and they give you some great tips. I almost wasn't going to go, but BF was difficult for us and I am happy I went.

Good luck with your decision! Also private hospitals may have higher C/S rates, but that is because they will give the mother the option sooner than public hospitals will because the PHI covers it anyway. Public Hospitals will only do it as a last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As PP stated, there are two very different birth philosophies at play here.

The Wesley has a 80% caesarian rate. I am guessing by the fact that you are also wanting the birth centre that you want a natural birth? If that is the case I would definitely go the birth centre and then choose public care over private every time. What catchment are you in, RBH or Mater?

My Doula (who obviously attends births at all the hospitals) says that the Mater is the 'best' hands off hospital.

My other big criticism of the Wesley is that they don't have baths. If you are hoping to do it drug free a bath or pool is essential for pain relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all so much for your advice It's been tough but have decided to give the birth centre a go as a natural water birth is what i am aiming for. Have told the obs (actually got dh to do it as i was not brave enough) and she said that if there are any complications during the rest of pg that i can return to her. So i feel that that's a good outcome.

Btw, BC does not take into account catchments - anyone can go there.

HTH to all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenappletree View Post
    Thanks all so much for your advice It's been tough but have decided to give the birth centre a go as a natural water birth is what i am aiming for. Have told the obs (actually got dh to do it as i was not brave enough) and she said that if there are any complications during the rest of pg that i can return to her. So i feel that that's a good outcome.

Btw, BC does not take into account catchments - anyone can go there.

HTH to all!
    Glad you've made your decision and yeah, good to know you can still see your obs if need be. Hope it's all smooth sailing for your pregnancy, birth and beyond!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much leebies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBleech View Post
    As PP stated, there are two very different birth philosophies at play here.

The Wesley has a 80% caesarian rate. I am guessing by the fact that you are also wanting the birth centre that you want a natural birth? If that is the case I would definitely go the birth centre and then choose public care over private every time. What catchment are you in, RBH or Mater?

My Doula (who obviously attends births at all the hospitals) says that the Mater is the 'best' hands off hospital.

My other big criticism of the Wesley is that they don't have baths. If you are hoping to do it drug free a bath or pool is essential for pain relief.
    I don't know where you get 80% from its around 51% according to a quick goggle search, still not great, but clearly not 80%. I am giving birth there and will be having a c-section...but i had 3 previous c-sections all publically.