+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had just popped into this section to ask the exact same question. I am also having trouble (in a way) justifying the cost - although after a traumatic 1st labour and birth, I spend a lot more on counselling sessions to help repair some of the damage that had been done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To those that used books and CD's can you tell me what they are??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I had just popped into this section to ask the exact same question. I am also having trouble (in a way) justifying the cost - although after a traumatic 1st labour and birth, I spend a lot more on counselling sessions to help repair some of the damage that had been done.
    I'm the same! My labour was terrifying and I really don't want this one to be the same!!

So I'm doing everything I can to arm myself with coping techniques... I ummed and arred for ages about the cost and finally decided to book in! I start in a couple of weeks

Am really hoping it's worth the money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrainbowfamily86 View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in the answers to this too, I had a 40 hour labour with my DS from when contractions were 10mins apart, I did it completely drug free and I'm so proud of myself for that. I am interested in Calmbirthing this time round, but the classes are expensive and my usually-supportive DH is being obstinant and is refusing to partake in any classes as he says if I did it so well and drug free the first time for such a long labour WITHOUT classes, then why couldn't I do it again - which I do admit is a fair point! I am also aiming for a waterbirth this time at my hospital.

So whats the best book to read? I read Juju Sundins' Birth Skills with DS and although I really GOT the theories, only a few of the practical skills helped, like scratching my fingernails on a textured surface and drumming my heels on the ground etc.
    40 hours! You must be super woman!

I went drug free for a 4 hour labour. Any longer than that and I would have spontaniously combusted.

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I did just the book with DD. I wanted to do classes but it's just not possible with a pre-schooler and working full time. I found the hypnobirthing book very useful and the biggest thing I got from it was to not be afraid of labour as you will start a fear-pain-more fear-more pain vicious cycle. By the time labour came I was so ready and excited about it. I also did other things to help me prepare for an intervention free, calm birth which is what I got

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got my 4th (of 5) classes this morning!! I'm LOVING them and can really see the value in the cost now. We have an 18mo and the instructor comes to our home, during DS' nap time, which is super convenient.

I'm reading the Mongan book at the same time (supplied by instructor) and it's awesome- DH and I practice the 'Readings' every second night.

I think the classes are great because DH is being programmed too, rather than me just reading the book and telling him what to do, because the partner is really a massive part of the process and keeping you grounded during labour.

And he's completely morphed in to a walking hypnobirthing advertisment, haha. He'll tell anyone who'll listen about it all

It's taken all of our fear that was created after DS' birth away and I'm totally ready and excited about this birth. Bring on February!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RourkesMumma View Post
    I've got my 4th (of 5) classes this morning!! I'm LOVING them and can really see the value in the cost now. We have an 18mo and the instructor comes to our home, during DS' nap time, which is super convenient.

I'm reading the Mongan book at the same time (supplied by instructor) and it's awesome- DH and I practice the 'Readings' every second night.

I think the classes are great because DH is being programmed too, rather than me just reading the book and telling him what to do, because the partner is really a massive part of the process and keeping you grounded during labour.

And he's completely morphed in to a walking hypnobirthing advertisment, haha. He'll tell anyone who'll listen about it all

It's taken all of our fear that was created after DS' birth away and I'm totally ready and excited about this birth. Bring on February!!
    I agree completely. We have our final class on Sunday, and the benefit of the classes was definitely Mr Polly'a involvement, especially since his attitude before the course was very pro-intervention (just lie back with an epidural and dont question anything the doctor says). Going to classes has really helped us to talk about what we want from birth, and I really don't think it would have been the same just reading the books. But yes it is expensive (but hope we see it as an investment after birth!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just in regards to the cost of it- I worked out that without even considering the value of the folder with affirmations and readings, the hypnobirthing book, DVD's and the instructors travel- that she is walking away with about $20-$25/hr for the time she spends with us..... BARGAIN!

You don't get much for that these days

And I also organised being able to pay in a couple of installments, which made it a little less painful, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about home study? I found hypnobabies home study course online and it’s much cheaper than going to the actual course. Just trying to understand that I don’t HAVE to go to a course. I can’t afford one and worry I won’t use the techniques from the books as effectively without going to one… (are they really THAT different-the course and the book?) I have Mongan method book and CDs and hypnobabies audio course…

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbehaving For This Useful Post:

sezworm  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your thoughts ladies . We went ahead and booked in for a course: our first session is in less than a week! Yay! I did go and get the Mongan book, one that came with cd's, to give it a go first, before I decided to go for the class. I just found that with myself, especially with pregnant brain, that I couldn't get my head around the book enough, it's like I needed something to supplement it if I were to put it into practice. I'm normally good with devouring books, but in this case I just couldn't manage it . And, as has been mentioned, it will be good for hubby to be involved. He was all for the classes, more than I was lol . I did find the book helpful, (as was Ina May Gaskin's book, just generally). Just because of some stuff that happened previously, I'm rather nervous about this pregnancy/labour, so I also think I need all the help I can get .