+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hypnobirthing classes vs books/cds alone?

I'm considering hypnobirthing classes but am trying to justify the cost! I'm wondering what people's experiences are of maybe just using the book & cd & not the classes? I've also looked at calmbirth, but the closest practitioner isn't very close at all & is even more expensive Any opinions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used just the book and CD alone as there were no classes near me and i had a wonderful hypnobirth :-)

I did find it a real struggle through transition to stay focussed, but i think thats every woman

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

I would recommend going to a class. It really helps to start the 'programming' that is so important for the actual birth. And it encourages you to really focus on the practice and techniques. I learned HB with Melissa from http://clarityfearlesschildbirth.com.au/ and would highly recommend her.

I used hypnobirthing for my first birth and successfully got through a 19 hour labour with no drugs at all!

I hope it goes well!

Brigit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also recommend going to a class if you can afford it. We learnt so much more about birth than just the birthing techniques.

I had a wonderful labour, I don't associate any pain with my labour - just hard work!

Also, after attending the courses my DH went from have a c-section with all the drugs to okay natural it is.

I have my birth story in the birth story section (don't know how to put a link).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm interested in the answers to this too, I had a 40 hour labour with my DS from when contractions were 10mins apart, I did it completely drug free and I'm so proud of myself for that. I am interested in Calmbirthing this time round, but the classes are expensive and my usually-supportive DH is being obstinant and is refusing to partake in any classes as he says if I did it so well and drug free the first time for such a long labour WITHOUT classes, then why couldn't I do it again - which I do admit is a fair point! I am also aiming for a waterbirth this time at my hospital.

So whats the best book to read? I read Juju Sundins' Birth Skills with DS and although I really GOT the theories, only a few of the practical skills helped, like scratching my fingernails on a textured surface and drumming my heels on the ground etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to myrainbowfamily86 For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the Mary Mongan book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the Hypnobirthing book too - it goes hand-in-hand with the classes.

I also read Juju's book but the trouble I had with that book was that the method was very different to HB. Juju promotes active birthing - so, getting up and doing things to distract yourself from the sensations. HB, on the other hand, is more about staying relaxed and in a state of self-hypnosis. So, to me, it felt like they were two very different methods that I couldn't necessarily use together at the same time.

I think one of the key success factors for me was having a supportive birth partner (my husband) who knew a lot about my chosen 'philosophy' or approach to the birth. He came along to the classes and participated in the visualisations and also learnt techniques to help me get into a deep state of relaxation. This was really important because on the day of the birth, it was essential that he was my advocate. He spoke to all of the midwives so that I could just concentrate on what I needed to do. I felt comfortable that he knew everything about HB and I could trust him. He also helped me relax when I needed to.

Of course, I am sure that your partner is also very supportive. It might also help for him to be on exactly the same page as you so that he can be your advocate on the day and speak on your behalf.

At the end of the day, though, you really just need to choose what approach suits you the best. What might work well for one person might not work for another. I can say from a personal perspective I and my husband benefited from HB classes, but you might be able to find a different way to have a calm and natural birth!

Brigit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brigit For This Useful Post:

sezworm  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only used a CD by Maggie Howell. And it worked wonders. 12 hours of labour and no pain medication required. Not even gas. Even the midwife kept saying that she rarely sees women who are so focused!

I started listening to the cd after 30 weeks and bub arrived at 40+1. So just 10 weeks of practice was enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe that you don't need classes to birth your baby or manage the contractions. You can prepare yourself, it just takes confidence and determination. I mentioned in another post that I recently had a completely natural water birth, I had read books, didn't have the money for classes so decided to take control myself. I realised that if I had a small smile either through or after contractions then my body was calm, my body could do what it needed to do, hormones etc if I was relaxed. So I used smiling and also said to myself that each contraction was individual, I approached them all that way, not worrying about how many I had to go, just doing what was needed for each one. My labour was beautiful, and calm. The midwives mistook how far through the labour I was as I was smiling a lot lol. I felt completely connected to my baby and my body and it didn't cost a thing. I have gained a lot of confidence in trusting my instinct, I would love to do it all again and hope too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4intheBed For This Useful Post:

sezworm  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did Calmbirth and thought the classes were the most important bit because they put my partner and I on the same page and we worked as an amazing team during labour. He really loved the birth and raves to his friends about how awesome it was. We also have a wonderful Calmbirth mother's group which has come out of it