+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She is already on medication bt doent work....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    She is already on medication bt doent work....
    What medication is she on?

Is she on formula or breastfed?

Have you seen the Dr who prescribed the medication about increasing the doses? Or have you tried any other medications?

I'm not a Dr, but I have lots of experience with reflux babies and am happy to share my knowledge. But you need to tell me what you've already tried...

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has silent reflux according to some doctors bt others say that she doesnt hv any reflux...I m nt sure wt to say coz my bub may hv reflux bt very minor one according to me...because she never cries or screams in pain, no vomitings....only wakeful sleeps in day time doesnt sleep more than 30 mins...she was exclusively breastfeed until week 11...now she dosnt want to feed both on breast n bottle....she does not cry but just refuses to feed...
    and then cries when she is hungry bt does not feed...

My GP started her on zantac 1mlX2times...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney

If she doesn't cry, scream or vomit, and the medication hasn't made any difference, maybe it's not reflux after all?

How long has she been refusing to feed? On average, how much is she drinking per day? Does she have wet nappies and poo regularly? Is she losing weight? I would start keeping track of her feeds and sleeps and how many wet and pooey nappies she has each day and take written notes to a Dr if I was you. If she is losing weight you need to take some action.

As for the sleeping during the day, both my girls were catnappers and only slept for half an hour at a time in the day time. You could call Tresillian on 02 9787 0855 or 1800 637 357 (if you're outside of Sydney) and talk to them about different settling techniques to help your daughter.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is refusing breast since she was week 6 bt still struggled and fed, may be she had reflux then,but she fully started to refuse from week 11 where she did nt gain any weight, then i went to emergency hospital and they tried to put her on bottle and she happily took it, bt next day she started refusing bottle also bt she finished it, now she is week 16 and since last week she does not want bottle also tried breast again bt no luck. doctors does nt want to help coz medically they cannot find any problem in her. now i can only feed her when she is sleeping which i dont want to continue. even i called each n every helpline bt whatever they suggest i hv done that...doesnt work...she is just stubborn, i dont know wt to do....tired to expressing and her winging.. she cries coz she is hungry and sleepy....Also she cannot sleep properly coz she is tooooo windy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Se has good amount of wet nappies coz i feed her i sleep. and also good poos. i give her 100ml every 3 hours bt now its hard its half of it coz hv to wait for her to sleep..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw a notification in my email about your post here.

I'm sorry you are having so many issues with feeding. My DS is 2 and a half now and it seems like so long ago that we were living that nightmare of reflux and feeding issue.

Some tips I used to get DS to eat was, feeding him while he was asleep, we used a sleep routine so I knew pretty much when he was due to wake up and would get him before he would wake and was able to feed him fairly well.

If he was awake, I would put him in a bouncy chair, or swing or even reclined in the highchair and feed him that way, he seemed to not like to be held while eating. I also used noisy toys that light up to distract him while he ate and we just took our time with the feed. If he started getting upset we would go to another room in the house, or change his nappy etc, give it 5-10 mins then come back to the feed. He rarely finished a bottle, but was getting enough to keep him growing and happy. Things turned around for us at about 6 months and we had great help through Dr Benjamin Er (pronounced like 'air'). He's in hurstville. I live in the Illawarra so we were travelling an hour to see him, but he was fantastic. I highly recommend going to see him.

Your little one may need a different medication. DS was on Losec and he also had a cow and soy milk protein intolerance. What formula is your DD on, has the Dr looking into wether your DD as an intolerance to cows milk protein?

Have you kept a record of how much she eats over a 24 hour period? Some babies just don't have the recommended amount of formula each day. Sometimes it's reassuring to see how much baby is eating over the course of a day and week. I would start keeping some sort of log of her feeds and her behaviour. What is she like when she's awake? Is she fussy or content. Does she sleep well at night? Have you tired different bottles? Sometimes it can be the bottle that baby doesn't like.

We also say a speech pathologist to look at DS's suck, to make sure there were no structural issues. That might be something worth looking into. I went to one through the local hospital. It was a free service and I just needed a referral from my GP.

As the PP mentioned you may need to look into getting some help with her sleep as well. Although some babies like to cat nap during the day. If she's sleeping well at night though it might just be her personality.

I'm not sure if that helps but I again would suggest calling and getting an appointment with Dr Er and seeking medical help on this.

GL I hope things start getting better for you and your DD soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie thanks for reply back. how is your baby going now.
    I just wanted to know that because your did not feed at that time did he have any other probs other than reflux.
    As i said my baby had reflux bt never bothered her, she never cried, screamed or vomited due to reflux but she is already grown out of it.
    my only issue was was is she not wanted to feed....but recently i noticed that she is trying to eat.
    So does feeding in sleep has affected any eating habits of ur bub.
    my bub would happily feed when drowsy or asleep, but just i m concerned, still i m trying hard to get her back to normal.

Her sleeping is good she never wakes up at night but moves a lot, and i noticed that she farts a lot...so i think so she is windy but she never cries in pain.
    Also i dont think so that she need any medication for reflux coz that does not bother her at all.
    I only give her formula once in a night time, otherwise its expressed breast milk.
    Also when she is awake she is happy n playing..
    Last edited by Look; 02-12-2012 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    Hi Pixie thanks for reply back. how is your baby going now.
    I just wanted to know that because your did not feed at that time did he have any other probs other than reflux.
    As i said my baby had reflux bt never bothered her, she never cried, screamed or vomited due to reflux but she is already grown out of it.
    my only issue was was is she not wanted to feed....but recently i noticed that she is trying to eat.
    So does feeding in sleep has affected any eating habits of ur bub.
    my bub would happily feed when drowsy or asleep, but just i m concerned, still i m trying hard to get her back to normal.

Her sleeping is good she never wakes up at night but moves a lot, and i noticed that she farts a lot...so i think so she is windy but she never cries in pain.
    Also i dont think so that she need any medication for reflux coz that does not bother her at all.
    I only give her formula once in a night time, otherwise its expressed breast milk.
    Also when she is awake she is happy n playing..
    Yes along with his reflux he had a cow and soy milk protein intolerance, so was on a prescription formula called elecare. He also had colic till he was 4 months old.

Does your DD sleep flat on her back or do you have her bed on an incline. While she may not seem to be irritated by the reflux at other times, lying flat can be uncomfortable. Do you swaddle her? My DS's startle reflex took a lot longer to go away so we had to swaddle him for a long time other wise he moved around heaps and grunted like he had gas.

As for feeding while DS was asleep or sleepy, no this didn't have any impact on him at all. He's a very active and healthy 2 and 1/2 year old now, he eats well and you would never know he had all those issues when he was a baby. As per my post above, around about 6 months things did get a bit better, but he never took a bottle well until he was about 12 months old and was holding it himself. He seemed to associate eating with pain, even though his symptoms were treated, so it was just a matter of time and he finally realised eating didn't hurt. The colic was gone after 4 months and he outgrew his reflux by 14 months old and his cow and soy milk protein intolerance by 18 months old.

Your DD may just be exhibiting a learned behaviour where she doesn't want to eat while awake. I would keep trying to feed her during the day, don't push it though, if she gets upset or fussy, leave it and come back to the feed. Also try some distraction. Feed her sitting in you lap facing out so she can see what's going on and is not thinking about eating. If there's no medical issue for her not wanting to eat while awake, a Dr probably won't be able to help you. I would however look at seeing a speech pathologist about her feeding if things continue as they are now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh man, I dont know wt to do, I cannot get an appointment none of the docs even dr Benjamin.....wt wl i do .....