Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies,

I'll be getting the referral tomorrow for Dr Jackson. I just hope that I can get in soon, I'm losing the plot here and just as I knew it DS is SCREAMING in pain during feeds now and his sleep is getting worse and worse (My saving grace has been that he's been sleeping really well in the day and at night.) There's no way he can go off the meds and I seriously think the meds need an increase, or a change or a combination of things.

Triple Time, I haven't tried Mylanta, I'm already giving him his meds a min of 30mins before a feed, I'm not sure how I would time in Mylanta cause it would be cutting into his nap time if it's 1 hr before meds.

Argh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my DS but man I so didn't sign up for this!!! Reflux SUCKS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I just called Dr Jackson's rooms to see if I could try to get an appointment and then just pick up the referral from my GP tomorrow, but he's not taking anymore patients and I seriously can't wait 6 months to see Dr Lemberg either.

The receptionist recommended I see a Dr Benjamin Er in Hurstville (which is closer for me than Randwick anyway) who is a Paed with a interest in Gastro. Apparently his waiting list is much much shorter. Has anyone heard of him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie0380 View Post

The receptionist recommended I see a Dr Benjamin Er in Hurstville (which is closer for me than Randwick anyway) who is a Paed with a interest in Gastro. Apparently his waiting list is much much shorter. Has anyone heard of him?
    Havent hear of him, but give it a go. He may be able to pull some strings & get you into someone. Please, please, please make it known to who ever you see that his reflux is way out of hand & you needed help weeks ago.

On the mylanta thing, if he has meds 30min before a feed & takes 30min to feed, give him mylanta after a feed. It may be enough to stop the feed repeating on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Havent hear of him, but give it a go. He may be able to pull some strings & get you into someone. Please, please, please make it known to who ever you see that his reflux is way out of hand & you needed help weeks ago.

On the mylanta thing, if he has meds 30min before a feed & takes 30min to feed, give him mylanta after a feed. It may be enough to stop the feed repeating on him.
    I called and booked an appointment with him already next available is 25th Nov, so not too far away thank goodness. I'll get the referral letter from my GP tomorrow and don't worry I'm not letting any more Dr's treat this like it's not that big of a deal because he's gaining weight and that's all that matters.... Oh how I'm sick of hearing that. They don't seem to understand the lengths I have gone to, to make sure he's eating and gaining.

I'll give the Mylanta a go for sure, do I just use the regular over the counter Mylanta then?

I feel like such an idiot too, I burst into tears on the phone when Dr Jackson's receptionist said they were taking no more patients .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    His waiting lists are shocking but he will NEVER turn away a stressed crying mother & neither will his receptionist ... I know

If this Paed is of no help please please call back & call back daily, cry etc let them know how desperate you are because if you really are they will listen & they will help ... I promise

Paeds are hopeless with meds some aren't as bad as g.p's but unless they have an interest or work with or have worked with GI's they usually have very little clue ... Found that out the hard way seeing quite a few who all promptly told me that it was either rubbish or lies I was telling them or that I was making my baby sick.

Oh how that really helped me.

Funny how we ended up hospitalised for 10 days on an NG tube with feeding pump, changing formula again, having daily tests, on 30mg Losec, 6mls Zantac, 240mls of Movicol .... But hey there was nothing wrong with him

We ended up having to see a Speechie to help with the oral aversion which became a rather big issue as my little guy associated feeding with pain to such a degree he preferred hunger to that feeling. Even now at 3yrs he struggles with feeling hungry & does not eat to live or survive. He will honestly live on a few biscuits a day if I let him.

So I really suggest getting on top of it all because honestly you do not want an NG tube ... It's great when it's truly needed but bluddy awful all the same.

I know you see that you have put all the work into his weight gains, I get that BUT do see the positives that he has been gaining because that means that there probably aren't more serious issues underlying the reflux which is a huge positive to take out of it.

I so understand the struggles the best I could do was syringe stuff down his throat at times hoping something would stay down. Instead he would vomit across the room for the thirtieth time that day, was bluddy awful.

Hang in there & make some noise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Any of the shelf mylanta liquid will work.

Don't feel like an idiot for crying over the phone, I've done the same thing many times. DH included when we've hit a brick wall with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie0380 View Post
    Well I just called Dr Jackson's rooms to see if I could try to get an appointment and then just pick up the referral from my GP tomorrow, but he's not taking anymore patients and I seriously can't wait 6 months to see Dr Lemberg either.
    Depending on which receptionist you get at Lemberg's clinic, if you call in tears and tell them it's desperate you may get a cancellation appointment quickly. One of the receptionists is very hard to get past but there are two others that are much softer and more inclined to get you through. I've done this before and got an appointment the following week from a cancellation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi every1,
    My bub is 4 months old and is doing the same as above wt Pixies bub was doing...I dont know wt to do because none of the doctors are helping me.
    I also dont know how to get in touch with Pixie so that she can help me...Can any one suggest me wt can I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie can you please help me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    Hi every1,
    My bub is 4 months old and is doing the same as above wt Pixies bub was doing...I dont know wt to do because none of the doctors are helping me.
    I also dont know how to get in touch with Pixie so that she can help me...Can any one suggest me wt can I do.
    Pixie last posted on the forum over a year ago.

As far as treating your bub's reflux, you have to find a doctor who you trust will help you. If your baby needs medicating, you'll need prescriptions.

It's hard to make suggestions on what you could try without knowing what you have already tried and what you're doing now.