Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need recommendations for paediatric gastroenterologist in Sydney

Hi Ladies,

I'm at my wits end here, I need recommendations for a paed GI in Sydney. My DS (5 months) has silent reflux, he's on Losec (15mg per day) and elecare for CMPI

I've seen two different paeds now, one was a jerk and the other one was nice enough, but they both want me to wean DS off the Losec My GP is pretty awesome though, I haven't been back to see her since seeing the second Paed but I know if I ask for a referral to someone else she'll give me one no questions and do whatever she can to help.

I don't know wether it's me thinking more into it or if it's instinct telling me this but I just feel like there's something more to this feeding issue than just reflux. I didn't want to reduce his Losec dose but just to prove a point to the Dr's I reduced it to 10mg yesterday and things arn't much fun here today, he's feeding is worse and his sleep isn't so great and he's just not happy. Normally he's pretty happy and sleeps well.

He's had blood tests, urine tests and a stool sample taken and all of those look 'normal' apparently. I just don't know what else to do.

We've taken him to the CHN for her to look at his feeding and of course he behaved and drank all his bottle only fussing once for a burp. We've also seen a speech therapist to look at his tounge and jaw etc and see if this was an issue. She said there was no problem there. She did witness what he was like when trying to feed and told me she's seen this problem many times with reflux and/or a CMPI. Unfortunately there wasn't much more she can do cause all the things she was going to suggest I do to help with the feed I am already doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dont know of any Pead GI's in sydney other the at Childrens hospital but i do of a really good Pead GI in Newcastle & John Hunter Childrens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie - Dr Lemberg in Randwick is good. He has a very long waiting list though! You could see if they can put you down on their cancellation list.

What is your son's issue with feeding? Does he refuse the bottle all the time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh I didn't think Lemberg was still at Randwick

My only suggestion is because he is the best in Sydney is Dr Ruben Jackson ...

He used to be at Sydney Kids but now only runs out of the private rooms at Prince Of Wales Private ....

He is pricey but is the most amazing doctor ... I would marry him if I could

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by reAllytee View Post
    Yeah, he consults on Tuesday's and Friday's

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faith72 View Post
    Hi Pixie - Dr Lemberg in Randwick is good. He has a very long waiting list though! You could see if they can put you down on their cancellation list.

What is your son's issue with feeding? Does he refuse the bottle all the time?
    Thanks for the name

His issue has been the same for 5 months, first it was refusing to BF, so I was pumping and feeding that in a bottle then after 6 weeks and me losing my mind being chained to a pump all day and getting barely anything anyway, I switched him to all formula and then he slowly started to fight his feeds. Now nearly every feed is the same. Sometimes I put the bottle in his mouth and he pushes it out, shakes his head back and forth and arches his back and starts getting upset. Sometimes I can give it to him he'll drink 30 mls and he'll start back arching, shaking his head etc. He won't let me hold him to feed him unless he's really sleepy or asleep. Every feed at home is sitting in his highchair and me using a bunch of different toys to distract him, the distraction seems to help take his mind off the fact that he's eating. Most of the time though we have to stop and start, go to a different room, put dummy in for awhile then switch to the bottle, change nappy etc then come back and try again and this goes on for about 40 mins. I can generally get about 150mls in now, before it was anywhere from 30-120 at each feed.

We generally only go out during feed times, but the few times I've had to feed him out he acts much the same.

He eats roughly every 4 hours too, so I know he's hungry at each feed. Most of the time I just roll with it but there are days where I just want to scream cause I just can't understand what the issue is.

I'm seeing my GP on Friday so will ask for a referral and maybe an upper GI as well. I just feel that there has to be something more to the feeding problems than it just being the reflux, cause now that I have reduced his Losec dose he actually isn't much different today than he normally is on the 15mg of Losec

Thanks
    Reviews

He used to be at Sydney Kids but now only runs out of the private rooms at Prince Of Wales Private ....

He is pricey but is the most amazing doctor ... I would marry him if I could
    You know I've looked up his name before and heard some really great things about him, but also that his waiting list is LONG.

How much is his initial consult fee and do you get anything back on medicare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie - this is much the same as my little guy who is 7.5 months.

We found that increasing meds to 20mg per day helped. He was initially on losec and kept responding well to dose increases but they were always short lived. DS is now on Nexium and things don't seem so up and down as they used to be on losec. Having said that, we still do get bad days which always result in food refusal for quite some time afterwards.

When DS was on 15mg of losec we changed formula to Elecare and he was much better with this and would drink without squirming around in discomfort. I was convinced that his reflux was caused by CMPI and decreased the meds to 10mg. Within a week I had a miserable baby on my hands. The change doesn't happen overnight and can take a week to see.

Our GI has put my sons reflux down to an immature gut. He said that 90% of babies outgrow it by time they are 1 year old. Some take longer but most babies by time they are 2 years old have outgrown it. I really am hoping that DS falls in the 90% category and outgrows it by time he is one.

Good luck with it all and hope you get into see a GI soon. I would say that you could perhaps talk to your GP in the meantime about increasing the meds to see if it makes a difference. Not sure how keen the GP would be to do this though. Our GI doesn't want DS on any more than 20mg per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Pixi - I really sound like his refluxing during feeds & his associated feeds with pain.
    DS was very much the same. I used to feed him in his bouncer, while sleeping what ever I had to do to get a feed down.

Not sure if you've tried or not but you can give him 1-2ml of mylanta before a feed to coat & cool his throat. Just make sure it's atleast an hour before or after medication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally agree - we see Dr Ruben Jackson for our DD too - he is amazing.

We were desperate around Easter this year as my DD was pooing alien green slimey poo with blood through it. Our GP called to try and get us an appointment. The receptionist called me and said the wait was 6 months, but since things were so bad, we got bumped up the emergency cancellation list and saw him the following week.

DD was 4 months old at the time and screamed on average 6hrs straight a day. We had a different baby within a few weeks. She was put on a combination of both Losec and Zantac, with Mylanta as required and I went on a elimination diet while breastfeeding her - no dairy, soy, wheat or eggs. After a month I was able to reintroduce wheat and eggs, recently I have reintroduced soy, and I'm still off dairy.

His initial consult was $440 and follow up $220. We had reached the Medicare Safety Net so was only out of pocket about $40 for the first appointment and $20 ish for the follow up.

He needs to be cloned!