+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Exclamation Pterygium - anyone else have it in their family?

Hi all

Went to the GP earlier this week to get the kids checked over (just chesty) and while we were there I asked the GP about a spot that I had noticed in Jack's eye ... apparently its a Pterygium (pronounced more like ter-issy-ium I think? )

I'm really surprised we are BIG on suncream and hats in this house - and the kids just dont play outside when its the hottest time of day ...

I'm a little shattered that Jack has this- and would love to know if anyone else out there has children with it??? apparently while it is benign .. there isn't anything they can do - and there is no cure other than surgery (which is only done if it starts to obscure his vision).

I know I shouldn't google (but I did ) .. the GP was kinda meh about it .. but I am still worried ..

ta all

xx
    jen

the spot in his eye is this small (if the link works?) link

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not a kiddie, but I have a friend with it. His had only just started to obscure his vision to the point where he's had surgery just a few months ago. It seems to have settled down now, he had some double vision for a while, but it's much better now than before.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have it in both eyes, I got it after 5 years of working outdoors though.
    Theres nothing i can do about it unless it grows over my pupils then they laser them off.
    They get irritated by perfume and strong sprays like flyscreen.

Do you use one of those ambibur thingos that spray out perfume? I found if i use one it really irritates my eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies guys ..

nope .. no perfumes or anything used in this house - we avoid them if possible .. the strongest thing used in this house is deodorant.

I am concerned as to how he got this at the age of four website after website say that its sun exposure .. but he really doesn't spend that much time outside (just the normal amount a child would - and most of THAT is spent in our undercover area).

The only difference in his, is that its on the OUTER side of his eye - sites say that its most common on the inside (nose) side ... but the photos I found are pretty damn close to how his eye looks.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about glare? Is that classed as exposure? Even when undercover there is still the glare from the sun - probably why the slip slop slap now includes sunglasses as part of the sun protection routine.

I don't know any children with them, but my father had his removed (cut out) in his late 20's and the same with exBIL, except his was lasered (technology has improved since my father had his removed). No issues for either of them since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    true nic .. there isn't that much it can all reflect off though ... (we have a colourbond fence, but its not reflective as such - at least I dont notice the glare).

I was just talking to DH about it - and he grew up outside - played soccor and cricket OUTDOOR all his life - he is a red head .. and he still never had this issue. I grew up at the beach and with a pool - we LIVED outside (with creams on) .. and no issues..

Thanks for the info regarding successful surgery... I'm still hoping that he will be a freak and break all the rules and that he will just wake up one day and it will be gone ... no harm in hoping huh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone else out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think i have one, my dad did and I think had it cut out, we're from up north so always sunny and often outside. Sorry Im too lazy to get up and check but from memory I have a very small one not really noticeable but inner eye like you said. It obviously doesn't bother me much but I agree 4 seems young and the fact it's outer eye, not that you need to really worry bout it bug I'd probably get another opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pterygium in kids.

Hi Jen,

I hope all is well with Jack, my son Gray has just turned two and we have found a lump with red veins on his eye a couple of days ago and after research plus visiting the not so helpful doctor we believe it is Pterygium.

It is also on the out side (opposite side of nasal). Just wondering and of piece of mind if Jack's got better, what kind of treatment etc..

Kind Regards

Paul Allen

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one. It's been there for as long as I can remember. I asked the gp about it once and she said if i start to feel it with my eye lid then they can do surgery on it. Although they would do is scrape a couple of layers off it. My optometrist said though if I didn't want it to get worst, I have to wear sunglasses every time I go outside. Even if it's only for 5 mins I still have to where them.