+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    travelmum...I just want to give you a few of these . This thread will help so many struggling families and I just think you are an amazing, kind-hearted person for posting such a helpful thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My kids love two minute noodles, they'd live off them if they could. So what I do sometimes is add grated cheese and mixed (frozen/cooked) vegies or corn kernals in them.

Also we also have plenty of pasta here as well, pantry full of it which lasts months, we serve it with some tomato pasta sauce or mince meat or I sometimes make tuna bake. I buy most thinkgs for cheap (store brand stuff).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pumpkin soup:

Jap pumpkin
    2-3 brown onions
    salt & pepper
    thyme
    Massel Vegetable stock powder
    Olive oil (spray)

Cut and peel the pumkin into large roasting wedges.
    Quarter the onions and peel.
    Chuck in an oiled roasting pan and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper and between 2-4 teaspoons of stock powder.
    Roast in an oven until tender and caramelised.
    Transfer to saucepan and add water, bring to simmer and puree with whiz stick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use to scrimp and save as a child.Here are some of our foods we use to eat.

Mum would use 2 eggs(beaten)1 packet noodles,and any vegies and throw into frypan.
    It didnt always look good but it was edible and filling

Another was baked beans and tuna on toast or breville.

Weetbix with butter and vegemite/peanut butter/sugar

Packet biscuits (milk arrowroot,milk coffee,scotch finger,nice) with butter eat them like a sandwich

Soups and stews would be made in huge batches with noodles, pasta, tomatos, onion, potato anything she could find went into the pot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vege Stir Fry

Brown Onion
    3 cloves of garlic (approx)
    Carrots
    Bag of Mushrooms
    Corn kernels (you can use a tin, or fresh cobs)
    Head of brocolli (or green beans...or both )
    Capsicum (1 or 2 depending on cost)
    Soy sauce (about 1/4 cup)
    Massel Chicken Stock powder
    Rice Syrup or Honey
    Water
    2 packets Thai Rice Noodles
    Olive oil

Finely dice onion and garlic and fry until tender.
    Julienne carrot and capsicum, roughly chop brocolli, slice mushrooms and kernel the corn cobs, or use tins.
    Add mushroom, then carrot, capsicum, broccolli, beans and corn.
    Stir fry until aromatic. Add 2 teaspoons of stock powder, soy sauce and about 2 tablespoons of honey/rice syrup. Add water if you want more sauce.
    Cover rice noodles in boiling water and by the time they are soft, the stirfry will be ready and you can drain and add noodles.

*note* Use seasonal veges as they are the cheapest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Homemade pasta sauce:

Tins of chopped tomatoes
    Tomato Paste
    Onions
    Garlic
    Oregano
    Salt & Pepper
    Olive Oil
    Grated or very finely chopped leftover veges, such as zucchini, carrot, capsicums.

Dice and fry onion and garlic. Add tomato paste and fry off until aromatic. Add chopped vegetables if you have them at this point.
    Add tins of tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano.
    Simmer until tender, mushy and fragrant. You can leave "lumpy" or puree (which the kids often prefer )
    Serve with any kind of pasta or even use to bake your chicken in and serve on mash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Potato and Leek Soup:

Approx 6 large potatoes finely sliced
    1-2 Leeks
    Olive Oil
    Massel Vegetable stock powder (or 1L liquid stock)
    Salt & Pepper
    Garlic
    Thyme

Slice leeks and fry in olive oil until softening and caramelising, add garlic and fry some more.
    Add sliced potatoes and fry until they are caramelising. Add thyme, salt, pepper and stock (or stock powder and water).
    I then transfer to slow cooker on low for the whole day.
    Yummo!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yum, yum, yum!!!! Especially the vegie ones!!

I have a great date slice that works really well for snacks- it's good because it's pretty cheap, easy and it lasts for absolutley yonkers in the fridge so one batch can last easily the week (if eaten every day) and then some!!

125g butter (no-name salt reduced block)
    125g sugar (you can get away with less)
    125g dates (coles or aldi brand)
    11/2 cup of rice bubbles (I use cheapo aldi ones)

Chop up dates and melt together with butter and sugar on low heat in a saucepan. When melted and cooled a bit mix in rice bubbles. Spread in a slice tin and refridgerate til firm then cut into pieces / bars. YUM!!!

Thankyou to my friend J or "Threeofthem" for that awesome recipe!!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Those Massel stock cubes are awesome- they are pretty cheap and if you crumble one up in some rice before cooking or 2 min noodles it gives great flavour- they are free of nasty additives, flavours etc that you normally get in those noodle sachets and as others have suggested if you grate in some cheese and frozen veg or a scrambled egg you have a cheap and easy meal

ETA: I know others have said this but again THE MODS SHOULD MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again TravelMum for starting it!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the tins of stock powder, not the cubes they are better value

Oh and all of my recipes are GF and vegan (but you have to option to change that of course, )