+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageFest View Post
    True.
    Though DP is such a carnivore I think he would go kill some sort of animal so we didn't go without meat lol. I wish I was joking haha.

I would do the same if I had too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldyMum View Post
    Id love to hear some recipes to feed the family around $5-10. Especially ones that make alot so you can freeze plenty for later. Ideas?

My recipe could be doubled or even tripled i think for around that much (because some of the veges could be used throughout the week with other meals) and stored...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~CupCakes~ View Post
    i think you are amazing

what a wonderful beautiful person you are to want to reach out and spend your own time doing soo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Good job travelmum - very nice of you to go to the effort to help others.

Another tip i have for those struggling is to use lentils - dry lentils are pretty cheap and are great at bulking up meals and filling up tummies.
    I ate a lot of lentils when i younger and had a tiny grocery budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a delish pumpkin and lentil curry if anyone is interested.

If your kids are a bit older, curries are excellent. They freeze well, you can make them in bulk and vegetable curries are great. You can also use older meats - like mutton - and cook thyem very slowly and they curry really well. The spices ext also last for ages and you don't use much at a time

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a wonderful idea you had, and fantastic that you went to such an effort to help others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jender: Yeah, can you post the curry recipe? Do love a good cheap curry!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldyMum View Post
    Id love to hear some recipes to feed the family around $5-10.
    When things have been tight and especially for the month that DH lost his job I went to a lot of effort to find cost affective ways to feed the family. I can't lay my hands on the recipes right at this minute due to it being dinner time, but as soon as I can i will come back on here and list some.

One that comes to mind though was fresh chicken drumsticks (as it's often the cheapest cut of chicken but you can buy a different portion if you prefer or have the money etc) marinaded in soy sauce mixed with approx 1/4 cup of honey served on a bed of rice. Cheap, easy & filling (providing you don't have allergies or a special needs diet) This is even cheaper if you already have back up supply of rice in your pantry (we buy a 10kg bag about twice a year when they are on special - usually $10-$15 - to guarantee no one will ever starve - I have been known to sit down to a bowl of rice with a light sprinkling of soy sauce when things have been tough and have actually enjoyed it as something different!)

Another was a packet of hokkien noodles from the supermarket fridge, a bag of frozen stir fry vegies (the ones that usually comes with a sauce satchet in them) and a couple of chicken breasts or a few thighs cut up (or a rump steak if you prefer beef or it's on special etc.) Stir fry the vegies and the meat, heat the noodles in a bowl of boiling water (eg. boil the kettle and pour over the noodles. Stir them around with a for to separate after a few minutes & they will be hot and ready to eat in approx 5 minutes) Serve however your prefer (either meat and veg on noodles or all 3 things mixed together)

quick, easy, basic quiche = 3 or 4 eggs, 150g diced bacon, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 3/4 cup pastry mix, 1 & 1/2 cups milk, diced onion, salt and pepper to taste. Mix altogether in no particular order in a mixing bowl. Pour into a greased quiche dish and bake for about 45 minutes at 180 degrees. Serve alone or with salad or vegies. Don't know the cost on this one - but we do this often so it musn't be expensive.

Will be back soon when I actually find my lists and recipes
    Last edited by mummynow; 22-10-2010 at 16:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roast pumpkin soup - roast a medum pumpkin, 2 onions and 4 large potatos for 45 mins at 180°C then puree with a stick blender add some milk and stock for the right consistency, we like it thick, and salt and pepper for seasoning. serves a family of 5 for 2 meals. i serve with bread. variation: use coconut milk and curry powder for a spicy pumpkin soup or add bacon and some herbs. This soup is easy to make in large quantities and freezes really well. the kids love it!
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 22-10-2010 at 17:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysnpregnant View Post
    Here is my Recipe. It may cost more to make the first time as you need some spices if you dont already have them in the cupboard but even the first time I made it having to buy everything I think it came to $7 max...

Ingredients
    1 Medium Carrot Cut finely
    2 Sticks of celery.. Cut finely (they sell these as individual sticks if you cant find for a whole bunch to be used else where in the week)
    1 onion Cut finely
    1/2 cup (handful) beans Cut into one centimetre pieces
    1 Zuchinni diced finely (sp?)
    1 tin crushed tomato (I used homebrand)
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic (again I got coles brand.. but this will last me months now)
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil (had to buy both of these but again this will last me for months and may already have in the cupboard.
    Water fill your tomato can once and add that water.. Add a little more if you would like more liquid.

In a frying pan.. Lightly spray with cooking oil or put a little bit of marg or oil..

Put in carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Soften for about five minutes.

Add beans, crushed tomatos, oregano, basil and water.

Bring to the boil. stirring occasionally. Simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally... 5 minutes before the end add zuchinni.

Enjoy!

If you wanted too there are many things you could add to the recipe.. any other veges you have at home.. 1 tablespoon tomato paste, pasta or even some meat.. I have it as just veges.. Because it makes it a "free" food (all good stuff) I know its not like a normaly recipe and there are probably a million spelling mistakes but thats how we make it here!

I am the pickest eater EVER and Even I eat it! But Im pretty sure it is suitable for vegans AND vegetarians..?

But after initially getting the garlic and the two spices it is the cheapest resipe i have ever made! And can be stored in the fridge and eaten over the next few days.. Either hot or cold!
    Thanks for that
    I have a similar recipe, and I add some pasta to the soup- usually par cook it, then add it in while it is still a little hard so it soaks up some soupy juices. It makes things go a little further