+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    You can feed a family cheap with healthy food. We can spend less than $30 on fruit and veg from the markets and come away with more than enough to cover a growing family for the week.
    Protein doesn't have to be meat, eggs and legumes are perfect substitutes. The supermarket often has lentils and chickpeas for $1 a can . Mix with some veggies , eggs and breadcrumbs to make patties that are yummy, cheap and good for you ( and enough to feed a whole family)
    You could have just posted this ^. There was no need to be so rude and negative. When I saw this thread, I read suggestions in the OP as something to help people that were having a tough week, not as a regular shopping list. You could have commented in a constructive and helpful manner, instead of degrading those that may be turning to this thread for help.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (28-05-2015),DizzyDaisy  (08-02-2015),lilypily  (08-02-2015),LoveLivesHere  (08-02-2015),octonaut  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Did you read that I was agreeing on someone else's post saying basically yes have a budget but make sure you eat healthy?
    Did you know eating cr@p doesn't fill your tummy for as long as decent food? And that there is strong documented evidence that eating bad contributes to poor health , therefore you may save a few $$ in groceries but then spend a lot more on medications to "manage" an illness that otherwise would have been avoided had you eaten properly in the first place.
    Not to mention potential loss of wages or employment due to poor health and weight issues. ( I personally know of atleast half a dozen so I personally know it does happen)

You can feed a family cheap with healthy food. We can spend less than $30 on fruit and veg from the markets and come away with more than enough to cover a growing family for the week.
    Protein doesn't have to be meat, eggs and legumes are perfect substitutes. The supermarket often has lentils and chickpeas for $1 a can . Mix with some veggies , eggs and breadcrumbs to make patties that are yummy, cheap and good for you ( and enough to feed a whole family)
    You are extremely blessed to be able to buy fruit and vegetables for a week for 30 at a market. Not every town has a market and in some places in Australia you just can't get cheap fruit and vegetables.

This thread has been wonderful in helping people who need to get through one bad week.

IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED AS A CONSTANT DIET.

One week or eat to survive is not going to cause long term health problems. Not eating on the other hand will.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (09-02-2015),Clementine Grace  (28-05-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (08-02-2015),HeavenBlue  (08-02-2015),tory1970  (28-05-2015),wilding  (11-02-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just read the OP for the first time and wanted to say thank you for taking the time to do this. What a wonderful thought.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Life is tough for most of us.
    It is only going to get harder, with very little, lesss money, less spending, and just basics.

This is going to soon have an impact on our economy, people with no money - not spending, businesses closing down so on.

Government is targetting families, and doing it wrongly.

Some foods may not be the best of look it, but believe me, until you know hungry... your not even going to have a thought on looks or taste, other then east something.

I have now got into gardening, well, not true, I have always loved to garden, but am not hardcore fruit and vegie grower from my own backyard to help cut the costs of fresh foods and have them at hand or freezer (freeze my own) and reduce my grocery bills to survive.

4 kids, single now well 2 yrs or so single, and in private rental... there is not much of anything for us money wise at all.

I can grow, tomatoes, lettuce.... there is lettuce/cheese/tomato sandwiches, near weekly other then buying bread, cheese butter, ham on occasions.

Or grilled tomato and cheese snacks.

Cucumbers in the warmer months add to above = salad.

Parlsey, mint, oregano, basil etc all at hand from my yard.

Leeks as well.

Spring summer... tomatoes, beans, lots of beans, corn.. beans grown under the corn and climb up the corn...

watermelons, rockmelons as well... cauliflower is growing beautifully at the moment too.

I have a hot house, it looks like a glass house, but isnt and I grow in there, as well as many vegie garden patches.

I know not everyone has the room to grow, but alot of people can, and can try, even in pots. It is not hard to do, its easier then one thinks... tastes better and helps you save money... just a thought for some people it may help, has helped me some what each week with things I can grow from seed at home, in my own yard, with really not much effort involved.

With money I save, I put aside a little each week, this i was able to use to buy fruit trees, 2 apple and 2 nectarine, dwarf sized trees that will grow in ground or in a pot quiite fine.

And honestly I cannot be more grateful to the war between woolies and coles on specials... and woolies select brands on alot of things I have found to be really nice, tasting, and way cheaper then other brands.

It is making more of an impact each week on my grocery bills buying more woolies select products and growing my own vegies/fruit.

With whatever money I end up with come July for the family tax thing, I plan to buy one of those preserving food kits, and jars, and make my own jams, will last about a year, sealed, so almost from growing/harvesting season until the next...

As well as chutneys, relishes, bottles tomatoes, puree and diced etc.

It all adds up over time and saves more money if you can grow alot from home and preserve and freeze as well. Hope my ramble helps someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome job! I might try this at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping cause this is an awesome thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing/pinning for later use

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got so many good ideas from this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the posts so I apologise if this has already been mentioned.

For school aged children investing in some quality containers makes a huge difference.
    On the more basic side sistema goes half price often at Coles and for $5 you get a container with a sandwich spot and 3 sections that comes with a yoghurt tub. This opens the opportunity to buy the big yoghurt tubs or big fruit tubs/cans (or make a mousse or pudding for a treat); as well as big packs of snacks like chips/pretzels/popcorn/crackers and being able to send them without needing additional packaging (plastic/paper bags). Individual serve packs are usually more than double the price and of course have ridiculous amounts of rubbish/packaging.
    For older or fussy kids (or a weekly treat) a thermos for about $30 from big w means you can pack them last nights leftovers.

Also, small juice containers like pop tops can be reused to house juice, flavoured milk or cordial. My kids rarely drink juice and find it too sweet but will have it occasionally about 3:1 with water. Anyway, this allows for a cheaper treat lunchbox drink than constantly buying individual primas or similar.

Lastly, oats/porridge for breakfast! Very cheap, exceptionally healthy and versatile. Mix in some sultanas, some dried dates, milo, berries, banana- whatever the budget allows. They are easily flavoured, a little goes a long way and 1/3-1/2 a cup makes a generous serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can seriously only feed my family because my mum buys my meet discounted so I only have buy fruit and veg as I'm trying to get over debts. So greatful.