Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks op and other contributors. ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by auren View Post
    Jez, make your own almond milk, it's so much cheaper and IMO tastes so much better. Soak almonds overnight, drain, rinse and then blend one cup with three cups of water. Strain if you prefer (I don't bother, I just shake it before use). Cashew milk is also yum too. I don't soak the cashews but use the same ratio of cashews to water. Give it a try you won't go back to store bought
    Wow I had no idea it was that easy. I will definately try this. The thing that makes it so costly is that as DD is the only one drinking it it usually goes off before she finishes most carton. How much almonds do you use roughly?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made this last night and it was yummy. I added grated carrot and some tinned corn. I don't have a saucepan that can go under the griller so I just did the steps in the frypan, put that mixture into a small baking dish and pored the egg mixture (with a small handful of grated parmesan in it) over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vegetarian meals usually work out cheaper. We love cottage pie made with tinned lentils, any veges you have in fridge and cooked in some sautéed onion and a tin if tomatoes. Add in some water using can from tomatoes, some seasoning and worstershire sauce if you have it. Summer until veges are cooked. Pour into baking dish top with mash potato or sweet potato and some grated cheese and bake until top is golden. Super yummy, healthy and cheap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    You can do healthier than sausages 3 times a week on a budget that tight. You can buy a kilo of mince for the same amount sausages cost and make a whole lot more.

Does anyone here only have $50 a week to spend on food? And how many family members? What do u make?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    DP and I only have about $75 per week for the whole grocery shop - this has to include feeding my cat and cleaning products.
    We have a chest freezer which i feel has been a life saver when we have had short money weeks.

We shop fortnightly at a foodland.(SA)
    We shop on a Wednesday night - i find the bakery items get marked down at around 8pm and time this for the end of the shop.
    My cat is a fussy eater and only eats dry food - as she is indoor only she has what is on special from the middle range food and this gets mixed into a big bag as she hates having only one flavour. Each fortnight the big bag is topped up.

Lunches for me at home are ,toast, ham and cheese sandwich or salad.
    I buy 350g of whatever ham is on special and freeze half.
    I buy cheese slices that are on special - cheeper if you buy home brand but my tummy doesnt do well with the homebrand ones.
    Salad i have lasts me about a month. i buy what lettuce is on special - so sometimes iceberg some times its cheaper in a mixed salad bag. I cut up the leaves and separate into bags and store in the crisper.
    1 pack of feta cheese for the month.
    1 pack of carrots
    1pack spinach leaves
    and mushrooms if they are special, or cucumber, etc.
    a splash of balsamic vinegar.
    and i normally have a bit of bread and butter or a roll if i have them.
    sometimes i also get a pack of pre cut/ cooked chicken bits.
    I also eat this salad with steak for an easy meal.

i try to eat alot of fruit, but it depends on the price. i like to buy sliceable things like watermelon, pineapple, honeydew melon etc and they will last if you store them correctly in the fridge - give this a google for the best ways.
    if you wash your fruit and veg in a little bit of vinegar they will last alot longer.

Once a fortnight we go to my mums for dinner.

2 nights a week we will have something like pies and chips or chicken nuggets and chips. - i buy pies in a pack of 6 and freeze them.

chicken breast packs are split into 2 breast portions and then cooked with rice and a jar of sweet n sour or what ever.

i guess my system works ok, its more about buying the specials and then working with what you have, being pregnant makes it hard as sometimes i just dont feel like what we have.
    I believe building up a good stock of frozen items and dry item is the key and shopping in bulk where possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have found that we just dont eat decently spending anywhere near this on groceries. I guess if u have to you make do bit i dont thik its overly realistic with the price of food. Just my experience of course and i try and cut costs as much as possible, meal plan etc.

I guess it depends what and where u have available to shop in your area too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFourCubs View Post
    Well done!!

Sadly us being vegetarian and my son having multiple allergies (gluten free especially = $$$$$!!! blows out that budget somewhat but I do get where you are coming from.

very helpful!
    Try using a menu planning site like the scramble, or taste, you can choose gluten free recipes on the scramble one, not sure about taste.

It's definitely worth it if you want to keep your stress levels down with menu planning. You can print out a shopping list and its pretty much nearly done.