Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to say, awesome thread!!

Nice work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~CupCakes~ View Post
    i think you are amazing

what a wonderful beautiful person you are to want to reach out and spend your own time doing soo
    What a wonderful thing to do for poeple

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think its great you figured something like this out but there is no way on Earth that would feed us for a week...3 days MAYBE but we eat 10 drumsticks in one sitting.

Very useful though for those who are struggling to buy enough for meals for the week .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is my Recipe. It may cost more to make the first time as you need some spices if you dont already have them in the cupboard but even the first time I made it having to buy everything I think it came to $7 max...

Ingredients
    1 Medium Carrot Cut finely
    2 Sticks of celery.. Cut finely (they sell these as individual sticks if you cant find for a whole bunch to be used else where in the week)
    1 onion Cut finely
    1/2 cup (handful) beans Cut into one centimetre pieces
    1 Zuchinni diced finely (sp?)
    1 tin crushed tomato (I used homebrand)
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic (again I got coles brand.. but this will last me months now)
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil (had to buy both of these but again this will last me for months and may already have in the cupboard.
    Water fill your tomato can once and add that water.. Add a little more if you would like more liquid.

In a frying pan.. Lightly spray with cooking oil or put a little bit of marg or oil..

Put in carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Soften for about five minutes.

Add beans, crushed tomatos, oregano, basil and water.

Bring to the boil. stirring occasionally. Simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally... 5 minutes before the end add zuchinni.

Enjoy!

If you wanted too there are many things you could add to the recipe.. any other veges you have at home.. 1 tablespoon tomato paste, pasta or even some meat.. I have it as just veges.. Because it makes it a "free" food (all good stuff) I know its not like a normaly recipe and there are probably a million spelling mistakes but thats how we make it here!

I am the pickest eater EVER and Even I eat it! But Im pretty sure it is suitable for vegans AND vegetarians..?

But after initially getting the garlic and the two spices it is the cheapest resipe i have ever made! And can be stored in the fridge and eaten over the next few days.. Either hot or cold!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think sausage fest though if you where desperate and struggling to feed yourselves for the week that not being as full from dinner probably wouldnt bother you too much.. It would be enough food to sustain you/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysnpregnant View Post
    I think sausage fest though if you where desperate and struggling to feed yourselves for the week that not being as full from dinner probably wouldnt bother you too much.. It would be enough food to sustain you/
    True.
    Though DP is such a carnivore I think he would go kill some sort of animal so we didn't go without meat lol. I wish I was joking haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageFest View Post
    I think its great you figured something like this out but there is no way on Earth that would feed us for a week...3 days MAYBE but we eat 10 drumsticks in one sitting.

Very useful though for those who are struggling to buy enough for meals for the week .
    But thats the thing when your in such a situation like struggling to feed your family. You make do with what you can get and dont be greedy and over eat. You eat enough to not starve. Hell, I have stopped eating dinner all up so I can keep food in my KIDS tummys.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleigh For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-09-2013),sunnyflower  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    But thats the thing when your in such a situation like struggling to feed your family. You make do with what you can get and dont be greedy and over eat. You eat enough to not starve. Hell, I have stopped eating dinner all up so I can keep food in my KIDS tummys.
    We've been desperate before, but always managed to eat...so not that desperate but it was food or the rent and I let the rent go. Luckily, it was short lived and DP found a job soon enough.

It makes me angry and sad that people are having to make choices like that though it shouldn't be happening.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Wow thanks so much travelmum! Although I don't need it so much now, 2 years ago when I was a single mum my food budget was very small and I was a very tiny lady this would have really helped me a lot!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id love to hear some recipes to feed the family around $5-10. Especially ones that make alot so you can freeze plenty for later. Ideas?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlazeBlue For This Useful Post:

emena  (20-05-2012)