+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes lentils are fantastic for thickening soup!

Dahl is another good cheap meal. Mil makes it just with yellow split peas, onion carrot and garlic. Cheap and easy!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup

1 head cauliflower diced
    2 tins Lentils drained and rinsed
    1-2 onions
    3 cups veg stock (approx)
    Good quality curry powder to your liking

Any other veg you need to use up diced (celery, carrots zucchini etc)

Caramelise onions in some olive oil in a big pot. Add cauliflower and other veg, coat with curry powder and cook for a few mins. Add stock, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover until veg starts to soften. Add lentils, simmer another 10 mins. Take off heat, blend into a puree (I stick blend it in the pot). Serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt.

The green grocer I go to often has cauliflowers at $1.99 for a whole head, and lentils at 70c a can. This recipe feeds a family of four, with at least 3 extra extra serves for me to freeze and take for work lunch. Delicious!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of you missed the whole point of what I was trying to say. All I said was that I thought that mince was a better and healthier option than sausages multiple times a week that's it!! . It can be broken up into 250 gm portions and used for many things...budget doesn't have to mean unhealthy.

Not everyone eats veggies/salads at everymeal so that's not an issue.

I don't understand what the problem was with me mentioning what I did. I never said premium quality either. If your on a tight budget why would u get fruit/veg from a supermarket??? They are soo overpriced most of the time.

Does meat need to be eaten at every meal?

And yes I have had times when I've only had $50 to spend on food. Sometimes I've had only $100 and I've had to make it stretch but sorry if I don't agree with $7 sausages.

It would be nice to have a post seen in the way it was intended and not completely midunderstood instead of being attacked cause it was understood in the wrong.

No one bothered to answer whether or not they only ate what they bought and didn't have access to pantry staples.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I think a lot of you missed the whole point of what I was trying to say. All I said was that I thought that mince was a better and healthier option than sausages multiple times a week that's it!! . It can be broken up into 250 gm portions and used for many things...budget doesn't have to mean unhealthy.

Not everyone eats veggies/salads at everymeal so that's not an issue.

I don't understand what the problem was with me mentioning what I did. I never said premium quality either. If your on a tight budget why would u get fruit/veg from a supermarket??? They are soo overpriced most of the time.

Does meat need to be eaten at every meal?

And yes I have had times when I've only had $50 to spend on food. Sometimes I've had only $100 and I've had to make it stretch but sorry if I don't agree with $7 sausages.

It would be nice to have a post seen in the way it was intended and not completely midunderstood instead of being attacked cause it was understood in the wrong.

No one bothered to answer whether or not they only ate what they bought and didn't have access to pantry staples.

And you've missed the point of the whole thread.

The op says in her first few sentences that she doesn't claim these meals are the most nutritious, but their aim is to feed hungry children whose parents can't afford much. She said she's read threads about people struggling and she took the time to go to Coles and write a menu plan for a struggling family.

It was a bit rude to say that sausages aren't very healthy. And since you've fed your family for $50, why don't you do up a menu plan.

Unless you shop at aldi, prices are different from one suburb to the next.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (08-10-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-08-2013),Meld85  (01-08-2013),risfaerie  (01-08-2013),sunnyflower  (20-06-2016),~BEXTER~  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a natural part of the evolution of conversation that the health of the cheap meals would be discussed at some point. I think the OP is great for starting this thread but i don't see a problem with Proud mumma saying eating sausages 3 times per week isn't healthy and there are other comparibly prices alternatives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again I never said I could do it for $50. Never once did I say that. Call me rude bigredv but at least read my posts properly and show me where I said it could be done. I said I thought it could be done for $100...and that I've said sometimes I've had only $50 for food for the week. I Never claimed otherwise...that I could do a meal plan for it...and said some items could be done cheaper due to them being bought at veg shops. And that I thought mince was better than sausages. I've repeated this several times. So hopefully you'll see this unless you choose to overlook this.

I'm seriously not repetaing myself again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Again I never said I could do it for $50. Never once did I say that. Call me rude bigredv but at least read my posts properly and show me where I said it could be done. I said I thought it could be done for $100...and that I've said sometimes I've had only $50 for food for the week. I Never claimed otherwise...that I could do a meal plan for it...and said some items could be done cheaper due to them being bought at veg shops. And that I thought mince was better than sausages. I've repeated this several times. So hopefully you'll see this unless you choose to overlook this.

I'm seriously not repetaing myself again.

You said here you've only had $50 for food.

And so if you think it can't be done, why bother commenting?

I didn't say you were rude, I said what you said was rude!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 01-08-2013 at 06:56.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

~BEXTER~  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some good ideas on this thread, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do actually agree that healthy eating doesnt have to be expensive if you rotate things like carb heavy meals with veg heavy meals or skip out on meat altogether.
    My DH lost his job when our new baby was just two weeks ( he is nine weeks now amd still no job) so we eat to a strict budget. If you have the time to make things from scratch or use cheap cuts of meat in casseroles etc then you can still make healthy cheap food BUT having a 4yr old and a newborn I know thats not always easy either.

We eat a lot of eggs as they are great protein source and heaps cheaper than meat. And soups can be packed full of nutrients and be cheap.we make sauces from scratch using veg and we shop at a fruit market and bulk butcher. I have no idea how people like my mum who live in small towns with only the supermarket as an option manage actually.

I think asking people if they are including pantry staples is hard as what each person regards as a pantry staple might differ a little.i guess it also depends how long you have been on a tight budget as I know in our case our pantry staples are depleting quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Does anyone here only have $50 a week to spend on food? And how many family members? What do u make?

I'll put my hand up here. I had weeks where I have only $50 to spend on food for my family of 7 (sometimes 8 and that includes 3 adults and a teenager boy who eats more than anyone else)

I am blessed that I keep my pantry full of basic so when a week like that comes up I can do it easily. In all honest I could probably live off my pantry for a 3 weeks if I had too. It would be weird and unusual meals and we wouldn't have any fresh milk, fruit, which would drive my fruit bat kids crazy but we would survive.

This thread is about survival rather than living life to full.

the type of hings I make on those weeks are
    veg fritters.
    risotto - poor mans, pumpkin, mushroom and bacon etc... there are so many super cheap ones.
    quiches- big one for a main and mini ones for lunches
    eggs - done a million ways (I am blessed with a mum with chickens but even when she got none and I buy them it is super cheap)
    stews - one chicken breast/steak cut up goes a very long way
    stir frys - see above
    pasta -
    salads in summer if i have my veg patch going.
    soups
    savory mince
    snags etc..

School lunches- I make a whole loaf of bread sandwiches and freeze them. Home made Muffins made in big batch and than frozen. Especially vegs ones. Pikelets
    Snacks - you can't go past popcorn

vegs - we don't have a market place and no fruit and veg store that s cheaper than the supermarkets here
    I buy a lot of the homebrand diced veg as a filler. Than as much that is in season.
    Oh tinned tomato bulk up everything in this house.