+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to know you came up with that idea. That is necessary and very practical these days. Although some people have restrictions to their diet so this might be applicable to some but not to everyone. Anyways, you are a true smart! Keep it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone seen those mini tuna cans that they just recently have at Aldi? They have been at Woolworths. My fiance buys those with a mate at his work, to save money on lunches. They buy some very nice molenburg bread thins, condiments and tinned veggies like sliced beetroot, to go with the sandwhiches. They each also buy a big container to put in the frigde at their work and can just make lunches at work (they have everything that they need there). Obviously this idea wouldn't work if your workplace didn't have a "full" kitchen. You could still probably take something else (like one of the posters above have mentioned). I have been making chickpeas with (small flavoured) cans of tuna for lunches. Woolworths had a tomatoes one that we very nice.
    I found an 8 pack of miso soup from Harris farm and they were very nice. We are obsessed with Japanese miso soup. I added some milk (you could probably add cream) to make the soups more heartier.
    I also now use Tahini "peanut sauce" for the kids sandwhiches . They have this with jam. This sauce tastes almost exactly like peanut butter, except that its healthier and cheaper to use, you use less because the sauce is thinner. I paid $5 for it at Harris Farm markets.
    Another tip, whenever I am low on bread, I just make some lemonade or soda water scones, to make some snacks for everyone. You basically only need flour, lemonade, or soda water, salt and baking powder. One thing that I have realised is that the more cooking you do in the kitchen the nicer the food tastes and the happier everyone is because it now only takes you 20 instead of an hour because its all very familiar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The original post of a meal plan wasn't very healthy! It had sausages 3 times a week as a meal!

I think more healthier and low gi meals can be made for $100 a week. Sooo much is low gi that we don't realise. You can do salad items/veg for about 30-40 that lasts more than a week!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    The original post of a meal plan wasn't very healthy! It had sausages 3 times a week as a meal!

I think more healthier and low gi meals can be made for $100 a week. Sooo much is low gi that we don't realise. You can do salad items/veg for about 30-40 that lasts more than a week!

Unfortunately the OP did it because for a lot of people on here, 100 dollars a week is a luxury. 50 a week is closer to what some people have to spend and even thats pushing it.

So how about do what everyone else did, thank the nice lady for taking time out of her busy day to do people who are struggling a favour?
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (31-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-08-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (31-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (31-07-2013),sunnyflower  (20-06-2016),wilding  (05-08-2013),~BEXTER~  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can do healthier than sausages 3 times a week on a budget that tight. You can buy a kilo of mince for the same amount sausages cost and make a whole lot more.

Does anyone here only have $50 a week to spend on food? And how many family members? What do u make?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never claimed to be so 'clever'. There really isnt a need to put a tone like that to ur post. If you read my post properly then you would see that I'm asking for recipes/experiences as I didn't have any myself and I was interested in hearing from other ppl.

How is sausage meat healthier than mince??? There's a lot more additives/preservatives/off cuts of scrap meat in sausages.

How much does a pack if sausages cost? How much does s kilo if mince cost? I can buy each for $6 a kilo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The six dollar a kilo mince from coles and woolworths is filled with just as many preservativea and just as much artificial crap and offcuts as sausage mince.

Mince you get from the butcher(10+ per kilo) has less in it. But when youre really struggling even four dollars is a lot of money.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

&BabyMakes4xxx  (31-07-2013),~BEXTER~  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The original op definitely gave some great ideas and yes shows that if u had to u could. I went back and looked at list and she mentioned stuff like sausages and potatoes bought from supermarket which can be cheaper from butcher and veg shop

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is also soooo many variables to this besides location.. Are we talking about only using ingredients bought to make meals? or are other pantry items being used like herbs/spices? Cause if so then a pasta sauce can be made from scratch for cheaper than a jar one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never bought meat/poultry from supermarkets but I wouldn't be surprised jenaisme. I can get diet mince which has fat taken out for about $12 from some butchers