+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
    So glad I saw this thread! Due to a whole lot of bills and issues we have $30 to do our groceries this week lucky I have some bacon in the freezer and we already had cereal and milk! Lots of these ideas will come in handy, thanks for making this week seem easier!
    Just goes to show how awesome it is when threads like this are created. Heaps of money saving meals have been posted, and since we're such a creative bunch hopefully many more will be too.

Glamazon, just an idea - when we went through a very hard time financially I went and saw my local st vinnies. They provided me with a food hamper and I spent about $30 on top of that and it lasted us a fortnight. Like I said, just an idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I couldn't help but post a delicious idea for parents who are 1. Short on time, (who isn't these days) 2. Possibly inexperienced in the kitchen, 3. Taste very nice and the can possibly be changed to allow for allergy interferences such as gluten free.

They are called "pigs in blankets". You have to use a slow cooker, but this does save a lot of time in the kitchen and makes delicious meals that a surprisingly good and cheap too.

The "stuffing" is the "meat" inside the cabbage. You could probably use tuna and rice instead of minced beef or chicken with rice. That's another option.

You use cabbage leaves to wrap around "stuffing". You then place those inside the slow cooker and add a can of diced tomato, and use the same can to add water aswell.

As long as you check that all the ingredients are gluten free I assume that the meal is gluten free in the end.

Here is a website that shows step by step instructions:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...n-a-crock-pot/

So far I have only made these with minced beef and chicken. I suppose you use sausage mince even.

Using cooked rice in the stuffing will produced softer pigs in blankets.

You can serve these with vegetable.
    They are so yum. My kids were hooked on them, and even asked for seconds which is usual to us these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only spent $50 a week, we eat lots of pasta, chicken drumsticks, mince etc. Dh takes cup a soup with rolls or mi goreng for lunch when there is no leftovers. Chicken kebabs turned into wraps are great & cheap too. We drink cordial and only buy $1 cool drink bottles if we are having a bbq etc, and buy meat (chops, etc) when on special. Chuck steak is very cheap also but good if cooked in the slow cooker - even if just with potato, onion, carrots and gravy. I bake all the treats we have

We occasionly treat ourself to something yummy - i love getting a small scoop of feta and olives at the deli for a yummy salad and dh likes the butchers marinated pork ribs ($8 kg)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbaby For This Useful Post:

marianaluky  (02-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have posted a similar reply on a different thread. It shows you ways to save on buying meat. Thankyou to the person who started this thread we can all learn something useful here.

Some nights I cook a batch of mince, and save a portion of it for a different dinner like spag bol for the kids ( a mini version lol.)

For the chicken, the chicken thighs can be bashed out really thinly, and then crumbed. These can be stored flat in the freezer. My Nan taught me how to do this, you freeze only the portions that you need for 1 dinner, in seperate trays, they defrost quicker. 1 Chicken thigh an make 2 chicken shnitzels.

For rissoles. Buy 500gms of minced meat, any type I don't really take the quality of meat into consideration, I suppose leaner is better for you :P.
    Add 1/2 a cup of oats, soaked in some milk, and 4 bread slices, add 1 or 2 eggs, 1 table spoon of self raising flour, another of plain flour, and mix.
    You end up with literally double the quantity of rissoles. Oh, sorry forgot to mention 1 grated vegetable, such as carrot, or leftover zuchinni anything really.

I use up left over spinach (I freeze it sometimes), in soups, again here you can save money on chicken you only need a little of chicken in the soup.
    I have seen free range chooks that are cheaper whole (from ALDI in Sydney), you can cut off pieces of the chicken to suit your meal...
    Legs for a main dish, Breasts for another,..,. Then you are left with the carcus of the chicken, you can use this to make chicken stock, I am not Martha Stewart but boy does this save alot of money on free range chicken.

Hams, can be roasted and then sliced for sandwhiches..

Apple sauce, you can steam apples in a steamer and then just blend it all up, and voila! Apple sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Come to mind there is another recipe idea for making a bulk meal.

You can make a meat loaf. I made a salmon loaf years ago. I can't remember how it turned out.
    For a meatloaf you basically use the same recipe stated about for the rissoles and add a caramelised onion sauce (1 diced onion, half a butter block, and about 1 cup of brown sugar) on top of the meatloaf about 15 minutes before its ready to take out of the oven.

Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes, and veggies. The sauce is the best part of this recipe I always run out. Though I always have leftovers of the meatloaf, dh likes to have it for lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I have a headache, but I'm trying to think of more ideas. Lol Bad timing I guess.

You can buy a muffin tin, which makes mini cupcakes for the kids. You come out with more than you could ever think you would need of cupcakes.

I always use icing on top aswell.
    I baked some last week on Thursday, it is now Sunday and we still have some left in the fridge. They have made this weekend so much nicer being sick with sick kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My go to cheap meal - tuna/salmon casserole..
    1/2 bag spiral pasta (cooked)
    1 large tin tuna or salmon
    1 cup frozen peas/corn
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 packet spring vege soup mix
    1 packet chicken noodle soup mix
    1 tablespoon tomato sauce
    2 tablespoon plain flour
    1/2 cup grated cheese

Mix milk, soup, flour and sauce in a large pot over medium heat til thickens a little then add fish, pasta and veges. Put mix into a lasagne dish and top with grated cheese. Bake on low heat until golden

Makes enough for 6 huge servings or 8 normal servings and freezes well. I use all home brand ingredients where possible and it costs about $8 to make with tuna, a bit more with salmon.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Waggers70; 02-06-2013 at 17:00.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

marianaluky  (02-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheap and fast- tuna pasta. Great tasty flavor for something so simple.

Large can tuna
    Can tomato soup (420ml)
    Onion x 1 cut up fine
    Grated cheese- 1 cup

Cook onion in pan. Add tuna, soup, 1/2 soup can of water- stir. Add in cheese and leave to simmer for 5-10min.

Serve with pasta.

Tip: the more cheese the blander it is. Can also toss in frozen peas and corn. Homebrand tuna and soup is fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BrissieGal2013 For This Useful Post:

marianaluky  (02-06-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not a meal but a snack or lunch box treat

Choc chip cookies

125g butter
    100g brown sugar
    70g caster sugar
    225g self raising flour
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    200g choc chip ( I have swapped this for m&ms, smarties & nuts

I normally get around 30 cookies & always have the ingredients in my cupboard

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (02-06-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meatballs & fettuccine

Mince
    Breadcrumbs
    Egg
    Herbs ( whatever you have available)

Tin of large tomatoes
    Onion
    Herbs
    Fettuccine
    Cheese

Make meat balls, then in a pan simmer tin tomatoes, onion & herbs place meatballs in the cover till cooked

Cooks some fettuccine ( or any pasta) drain place on plate top with meatballs & sauce add cheese and Parmesan