+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Mummabear is offline Gone.....and no doubt already forgotten
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulsPrincess View Post
    Great thread!!

While we are very blessed to be quite comfortable financially - I've found our grocery bill is creeping up above $300.00 per week for our family of 4!!!!! And even then, we still end up resorting to take-away way too often as when I go to cook dinner I often find that although I have thrown over $300 worth of random groceries into my trolly, I havent got the 'right' things to make a complete meal.

Yesterday I went through the thread and picked out some idea's that would work for us. I wrote out a weekly menu plan and a shopping list and ended up spending $160!!!!

Yes that's right from over $300 to just $160!!!!

That's all we need for breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks for a whole week (plus a couple of treats) As well as all our extra's such as cleaning products etc - And I still chose our 'favourite' brands of foods.

Just proves how much money I have been wasting.
    WOW!! Now that's inspiring!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to add, to anyone who makes my tuna mornay i now have some variations. 1. cook as normal, stir through some diced veges and serve in a bowl. 2. cook as normal and spread mashed potato over the top, put on some grated cheese and bake in the oven until golden. 3. for leftovers, this recipe doubles, triples etc... really well and its great heated the next day on toast. 4. make leftovers into little pies, the kids love them, and adults too and you can serve with veges, salad or by themselves
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 19-12-2010 at 07:35.

Mummabear is offline Gone.....and no doubt already forgotten
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to bump this thread again because it's so awesome.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mummabear For This Useful Post:

2girls&1angelboy  (27-12-2010),mum2bubba  (27-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a fantastic thread! Thank you everyone for your tips and experiences. I too am very fortunate and don't have to worry about being on a tight budget, but it has actually been budgeting that has gotten me to this position. I can not recommend budgeting enough!

Recently, we had been away for a week and returned home to an almost empty fridge and pantry. Both hubby and I couldn't be bothered doing a grocery shop nor did we feel like takeaway or going out either. We did manage to gather the following, from what we thought was an empty kitchen:

potatoes
    frozen peas
    frozen spinach
    onion
    vegetable stock

So we made soup, and it was surprisingly nice and quite healthy too! The ingredients are all very cheap. We were just amazed how we managed to make a meal out of 'nothing'!

Keep the replies coming, I look forward to the next update!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtobeamummy View Post
    Apricot chicken -

Drum sticks and a can of apricot nectar and sprinkle some french onion soup mix over the top (home brand, cheap as chips!!) Bake in the oven til the chicken is cooked and serve on rice. Delicious, easy and not that expensive!
    This has become one of our favourites. My girls prefer chicken breast/thigh to drumsticks though.

It really pays to keep your eyes open. I was at the shops the other day and was passing a fruit/veg shop I don't normally go to and stopped. I grabbed a 5kg bag of new potatoes for only $3!

ALso, Woolworths have Raguletto Pasta Sauce jars on special for only $1 this week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use any left over chicken dishes - currys / roast / mexican whatever it might be, the next night by putting it in some pastry and baking. Makes a yummy chicken pie

BeccyXD is offline happiness never decreases when spread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sadly us being vegetarian and my son having multiple allergies (gluten free especially = $$$$$!!! blows out that budget somewhat but I do get where you are coming from.
    i have a veg family too, it is always so frustrating when meat foods go on special but it rare to find vegie "meats" on special, unless they are not going to sell them in the store anymore & need to offload them quickly.

i do suggest going to indian/asian supermarkets as they often have a higher level of veg stuff at cheaper prices
    Last edited by BeccyXD; 05-08-2011 at 16:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am going to attempt this next pay. Going to work out what i will need exactly but might up the budget to $60 so i have that breathing space and can still buy my normal free range organic eggs as i cant physically force myself to buy home brand ones.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

BeccyXD is offline happiness never decreases when spread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    Does anyone know if Aldi stocks....

1- 'rennet free' cheese
    2-Free range eggs
    3- Gelatine free yogurt
    4- Any vegetarian burgers or vegie mince??

Also how much is Aldi bread and milk ?
    I am not sure if aldi stocks rennet free cheese but woolworths/Safeway brand cheese slices, tasty cheese I think it was, have non animal rennet and Coles brand light grated mozzarella is also non animal rennet.

We can never get cheap gelatin free yoghurt, although I have noticed sanitarium have some yoghurts out now & they are on special because they are new, don't know how long it will stay cheap though!.

I think Aldi do a loaf of bread for .99c but am not sure about milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's an old favourite which I'm sure kids will love (mine is too young yet

Frankfurt Bake

3 cups spiral pasta (or penne)
    1 onion, diced
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1 scoop diced bacon (from the deli)
    1 green capsicum, diced
    6-8 frankfurts, sliced
    1 x 800 g tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    Pepper, to taste
    Grated cheese

Cook pasta in boiling water til tender. Heat oil in frypan. Add onion, garlic, bacon and capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add frankfurts, cook for a further 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, garlic and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Toss pasta through sauce. Pour into oven proof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 180 degs until cheese has browned.

I have also added frozen/tinned corn for colour, and if you have carrots or zuchinni on hand you could probably get away with grating them and adding them too (kids probably won't notice