+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A couple of nights ago we hadn't been shopping yet and had little left in the cupboard and freezer.

I found in the freezer 500g of mince that had cost $4.50. I found 4 large potatoes left in the pantry & about 1.5 to 2 cups of frozen mixed vegies in the freezer & a really small bit of block cheese in the fridge.

I browned the mince & added a dessert spoon of gravy powder, a few splooshes of barbecue sauce & some water & then added the frozen vegies and let them simmer altogether for a while on the stove top.

Meanwhile I was boiling the potatoes and then mashed them. Eventually I put the mince / veg mix in a baking dish and spread the mash on top and then sprinkled the cheese (grated) on top.

Baked it in the oven for about 15 minutes and served up to a family of 4 who were very appreciative of a filling meal made from very little.

Basically a cottage pie in the end but so simple and you could add whatever you wanted. But it was really cheap all up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yum I love cottage/shepards pie. So easy too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is brilliant! I have good intentions but get stuck for ideas and as I don't eat seafood or much dairy, and DP is fussy with cuts of meat, it is hard to go past old favourites!

I love Aldi for groceries- so much cheaper. I have finally tried some of their cleaning products and haven't really noticed too much of a difference so loving the savings. The meat isn't too bad either as I use the slowcooker alot so even poor quality meat melts in your mouth.

Another tip is to try and get fresh fruit and vege from markets etc, much cheaper (for us anyway) and local. I understand it could be a pain though with littlies.

Fettucine Carbonara

375 g fettucine
    500g bacon sliced thinly
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    shallots, sliced
    1 cup cream
    4 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Cook fettucine as per instructions.

Fry bacon strips for 3 mins and add garlic and shallots. Combine cream and egg yolks, drop heat to low and add egg mixture to the pan.

Lift cooked pasta from the water and drop straight into the pan without draining. Keep stirring as you do this. If the sauce is looking too thick add pasta water a little at a time to thin.

Grind lots of black pepper onto the pasta and serve with parmesan cheese (if you like).

Mexican Chicken

Chicken Drumsticks
    Onion
    Jar of mexican salsa or taco sauce
    Tin chopped tomatoes
    Chilli to taste (if desired)
    Coriander
    Tin of 4 bean mix
    Tin corn kernels

I just put it all into the slow cooker but my stepmum browns hers first and then bakes it. I find the slow cooker is easier! And serve with rice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if this has been floated around but tinned tomatoes are incredibly versatile so great to buy heaps when they are cheap. You can buy spring onions in group groups and actually plant them - they will stay alive in your garden so buy a cheap bunch when you need them and plant the rest.

Chicken wings are also incredibly cheap. Chicken wings, tinned tomatoes, some onion, some dried oregano and maybe some mushrooms (alwasy going cheap when they start to wilt), slow cooked on stove and some rice and its yummy. Add frozen peas as well.

THis is a great thread

not sure who listed it but I have already made the peanut paste biscuits. Yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can feed us for a week on $50. It's all the other crap you have to buy.

With DD not being able to eat dairy, soy, gluten, egg or nuts our shop is $$$ for her bread it's $8 and I usually go through 2 a week. Her pasta is $6 I can't buy a single thing for her for under $5

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is similar- no gluten, dairy, soy or any kind of preservative. His bread is about $6 a loaf and he goes through 3 a week. I DO make some of his bread myself- the orgran mix is about $3.60 and I do it in the breadmaker- but he will only eat it for toast in the morning, (he has autism so is fussy.) It is as hard as a rock though so I don't really blame him!!

I buy the rice pasta which is by far the cheapest- a lot cheaper than the gluten free san remo stuff etc (which has soy in it anyway) or the orgran gluten free. I well and truly hear you though!

I did find at ALDI yesterday that they have a whole range of new lollies (this was for my dd's birthday party, not a regular purchase!!!) are now preservative, artificial colour and flavour free I was stoked!! Normally I have to buy the Naturals Confectionary ones which are $$$$

I also bought a pack of ice blocks for $2 at ALDI yesterday that were free of all the above too!!! That used to me my main issue with ALDI were most of the food was full of additives but they are definately improving!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It can get sooo hard!! I'm forever trying to find her snacks and all I xan get it rice crackers and fruit, everything always seems to have something she can't have or palm sugar. We don't have an aldis here but Coles range is getting fantastic!! I used to have to go to a health food store for everything now I only need to go there for bread usually.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she eat the Orgran crackers? The animal biscuits etc? My DS loves on those unfortunately.......... (as snacks, lol.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I can feed us for a week on $50. It's all the other crap you have to buy.
    This.

I can easily feed us for around $50 a week, just for dinner anyway, but other stuff we buy all adds up, hence why I did the other thread about saving money on my grocery bill.

Some great ideas though, and well done OP for this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to buy bread with no preservitives but they are so expensive. Might have to try and make my own I think.