+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG you guys are going to save me a fortune!

I'm doing the fortnightly shop tomorrow and I have got at least 10 meal ideas I'm going to make this fortnight from this thread!

THANKYOU!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Let us know how much your groceries come to this fortnight as opposed to other fortnights.

Take a list. And really stick to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Homebrand wafer biscuts are 63 cents a pack

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a bunch of super cheap low gi meals. The majority including my own sauces made from scratch which any one working with allergies knows is best.
    1. Sweet Baked Chicken and Rice Onion and Garlic flavoured basmati rice, sweet marinated chicken legs (own marinade:garlic, golden syrup, sherry,and sweet chilli sauce) and steamed garlic bok choy.
    2. Tuna Bean Salad can of tuna either (brine, springwater or olive oil) drained if using olive oil keep some for your dressing. Can of cannelini beans drained, one onion (prefer red) diced and any type of lettuce mix all ingrediates. Dressing is vinegar 2 parts to 1 part olive oil salt and pepper to taste. Great in summer with fresh bread.
    3. Sheppards Pie substitute to usual receipe -500g mince to one cup cooked lentils (high fibre low gi)swap potato topping with either potato/sweet potato, pumpkin or cannelli bean combined mixture.
    4. Pasta Carbonara any type of wholemeal pasta 250g cooked diced bacon, one onion diced and cooked. In a seperate bowl 250 tub pouring cream and 2 raw eggs combined. Add bacon and onion to cream mixture ensure bacon has cooled or you will have scrambled eggs. Add all to drained cooked pasta on very low heat stir and add salt pepper and parmasen cheese to taste.
    These are just a few recipes I can think of off the top of my head. Learning to make your own gravys and marinades will save money, be healthier with less preservatives, and taste better.

Lentils and beans are a great way to fill tummys they are cheap, full of fibre and low fat.

Introduce them slowly to your family such as kidney beans with mince in a taco or burrito. Butter beans blended with mashed potato or a handful of chickpeas in an indian curry.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    Where???

Vitawheat crackers are on clearence at Coles atm for $1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ooooh cool, thanks. They're probably all gone now though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travelmum - I just wanted to say what a lovely, selfless thing you've done creating this thread!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for starting the thread OP. Some good ideas here. We are a family of 5 and really need to try to do things cheaper especially at the moment.

I finally tried Aldi the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Even DH was surprised.

Pasta was 99c each and the tin of spaghetti (420g) was 69c. The noodle cups were only 79c each but the packets were cheaper again. Biscuits similar to Jatz in the same size box were $1.35. Soy milk was only $1.49 (we will see if she drinks it though) and light milk is $2.49.

I bought a taco kit with 15 shells in it for only $3.99. It was yummy too. The cheapest I have seen at coles is about $5.45 for the cheaper brand for only 12 shells in the kit or the Old El Paso ones are about $6.40 again for only 12 shells.

I also got 500g of lean mince for $5.99, light sour cream for $1.49 and 2 continental cucumbers for 69c each and a punnet of cherry tomatoes for $1.99. (already had lettuce and cheese) But could have bought normal mince cheap if I was desperate. They had 2kgs for $12 and normal sour cream was cheaper than light. And diced tomatoes were only 75c.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 26-10-2010 at 12:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for this thread, lots of good ideas. I was very happy this week only spent about $150 shopping instead of $250 plus. Please keep cheap meal ideas coming.
    I have question about yoghurt, you say to buy a big tub and portion out, so once tub is open how long does it last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We get big tubs too, the best before date is around a month after opening though the yogurt here doesn't last any more than a week or two.