+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: anxiety and postnatal depression. Has anyone ever been admitted freaking out

I took my son for his 4 month check up at the child health centre and the nurse asked me to do the edinburogh test and was like please be honest and I got the highest score. She was talking to me about my anxiety over never leaving my sons side even when I shower I take him in the bathroom with me. I was telling her it was because I could see him blue and purple and dyeing from the night he stopped breathing and started crying. So now she wants me to stay at the mother and baby unit at king edward memorial. I'm freaking out I never realized how bad it was till she showed me the anxiety check list and I had all but one on there. Please tell me I'm not alone and it will be ok. What do they do there and is it full on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no answers for you hun but some

from reading some other threads the mum and bub units sound like they do a fantastic job in supporting women, I hope things get a bit better for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    HUge hugs sweetie!!

Sounds like you are having a rough time.

I have antenatal depression and posted a thread the other day about mother baby units because it has been suggested to me.

Everyone seemed to be really positive and i think it provides a great opportunity to get some support/help in a good environment.

HUGS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't freak out they are there to help you.

You should be very proud of yourself, you told someone how you feel and it takes courage to do that.

You will be fine hun, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

You are doing the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would srace the sh!t outta me too, if ds went blue and purple!!! Your not alone, but please dont allow pride or a fear of failure stop you from going to the clinic. It could be really good for you and if you dont nip it in the bud now who knows where you could end up in the future.

My SIL has pnd but her pride refuses to let her see it, she has ripped our family apart because she refuses to get any help, we dont think she is a danger physically to her children but emotionally she is doing a lot of damage. Its really sad and I would hate for anyone else to have to go thru it from either side.

Hope it works out for you and just take it as it comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Is there any support groups you can access? Or any councillors you can see?

I went through a similar thing (though different as I do remember your posts that your little boy was unwell where as I'm sure Jasper stopped breathing for no reason it was a SIDS near-miss rather than illness) and had talk-therapy, seeing a psychotherapist one on one and attending group therapy for about 9 months till I felt somewhat normal.

But for months every time I closed my eyes I relived it. And me like you he just never left my sight.

You'll be okay. You'll get through this. I won't say you'll never 'get over it' because i got caught up on just wanting it to never upset me again but Therapy can't undo what's happened, but you can get to a place where it doesn't control you.

Also I was startled and surprised when I went in to see a mchn because I was sure there was something wrong with perfectly healthy 8 week old Jasper and she took one look at Jasper and gave me a number for a therapist. I was shocked and confused like 'nooooo I'm FINE he's sick' .... Yeah... Best thing ever could have happened.

I hope you can start to get some help with this so you can start to feel normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanx guys it was just a shock caught me off guard. Wow sleepless yeah that's what I've been experiencing just not able to let the picture go. She just rang me than and said she will try and get and appointment first with a phycologist and if that fails a psychiatrist but I'm not keen to go meds. I guess talking about it would be good though. What happens at the mother baby units that one freaks me out. Ooooh my anxious brain wish it would just give me peace lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope this doesn't come acoss the wrong way, but if you can get into the mother and baby unit - then do it. They won't accept you unless they think you need help and the state of our menthal health system is terrible! I have heard of mothers being seperated from their bubs because there are not enough places at KEMH. I wouldn't be scared to go, I'd be scared not to go.

A bit of topic but I have a friend who has great concerns for her young son who has suicidal thoughts, she is at her wits end trying to get help for him

Thanks
    Reviews

it is hard when you realise how bad things are....

Try the psychologist, they cant actually do anything about meds, but can really help with talking through issues, etc. If you are able to get into the MBU, I would go for it, maybe do a search for Come Back Kids thread, there were some good responses in there....

Help is available, if you can, reach out and grab it and try and start to get back on track!!!!

It may be a long process, but if you start now, you can only go up!!!

Good luck hun....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Please add me on Facebook I would love to talk to you more...

It is good you are getting help I would be sh!t scared of letting my bub leave my side if I saw him blue too