+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Anyone with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? - Treatment advice

Ive just come back from a second opinion appointment this morning with two possible diagnosis'

1. Early menopause

OR

2. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I have had a full set of bloods done this morning, results early next week. It included Thyroid and Hormone levels.

The Dr is pointing towards CFS. I know there is no actual cure for this, but I did ask my GP what can be done to help it etc.

She's told me that they treat is with Prozac or Cymbalta - an antidepressant

Im so so hesitant to go on AD's, Ive been on them before (5 years agon) for 6 months (lexapro) but I also gained 25kgs

She's assured me that Prozac or Cymbalta has no weight gain issues, but Ive been doing some research and seen that these two drugs are incredibly hard to come off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This isnt to treat any form of depression, it's just the CFS if the blood test rules out Early Menopause. I passed the depression test fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No ideas. But I love ya :-x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll send you a PM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our Little Blessing THANK YOU It's the information I needed to read

DH and I have been discussing this tonight, he's been reading a bit on Prozac and AD's for CFS and he's not convinced either

Ive been doing research all day on CFS and treatments, there seems to be a fair few out there to try, mainly diet, exercise etc. I do this already, but I can improve in a few areas, the Low GI diet is a very good one to try!! Thank you SO much for replying, it really does mean a lot to me

BadgersMum: You know I love you too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to give you some of these ...

I had glandular fever about 5 years ago and it persisted so long that they then classified it as CFS when the GF failed to continue to show in my bloods......

I dont think I was diagnosed right, but I fit all the criteria....

I couldnt work, sport, nothing... my life just stopped and it took me a while to realise then what my new capabilities were... and they have never been the same since.....

I was never offered ad's...... just diet, lifestyle and loads of natural remedies........

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone... my life has not been the same since.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you It's hard to get a diagnosis. The GP was quick to push the Prozac onto me if the blood work comes back negative for early menopause.

Can I refuse the Prozac and go another route with treatment? Ive also been referred to a General Physician (next month) to see what they have to say also. I feel like Im going around in circles Being pushed into test after test for bloods, taking freaking Depression tests over and over again to prove I DONT have depression and then walking out with no answers or a script for AD's

At least this GP DID ask for a full blood work, the other's havent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    Thank you It's hard to get a diagnosis. The GP was quick to push the Prozac onto me if the blood work comes back negative for early menopause.

Can I refuse the Prozac and go another route with treatment? Ive also been referred to a General Physician (next month) to see what they have to say also. I feel like Im going around in circles Being pushed into test after test for bloods, taking freaking Depression tests over and over again to prove I DONT have depression and then walking out with no answers or a script for AD's

At least this GP DID ask for a full blood work, the other's havent
    You can definitely refuse the Prozac! I would try and find a second (or third, forth etc) opinion if I were you. Again, all this is made harder by the extreme exhaustion, but finding a GP that understands the condition is going to be a HUGE asset. Assuming your blood work doesn't show something different of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for this! It really has made me feel Im not alone in the diagnosis and treatment side of it. It really means a lot that you took the time to reply to me about your experiences. Ourblessing, you Dad sounds awesome, and Chicken and Eggs, I hope you get some answers and treatment you need to get back up again, somedays I have a really good run and then fall flat for a week!

Now I just have to sit and play the waiting game till next Wednesday for the results, since it's a full blood work it's going to take a few days for all the results to come in and she only work Mondays (fully booked) and Wednesdays, so Wednesday is result day!

I did ask the nurse to leave me enough blood to get home, 8 vials I hate needles!
    Last edited by Mahjong; 13-10-2010 at 19:14. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are so so welcome

I hope the week flys for you.

Good luck!