+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh. Thanks. Yup, I know it as docs.

I agree with everything already said OP. Talk to her first, put the feelers out there, you Might get some idea of how receptive she would be to help and suggestions.

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Um, Yeah. I was young and single while raising DS and you can bet I never left him alone in the front garden! The OP saying the girl seems young and single is not a jab at young single mums, it's on observation. Now if she'd said something like 'She's probably Aboriginal too..." Then yes, sure thing, extremely offensive.

OP, I know exactly how you feel. I live across the road from some sort of young mums emergency housing and the girl who's just moved in seems young and single, excepting the shirtless guitar player on her lawn every other day

But seriously, I think there's two little kids in the house and there's constantly screaming and fighting coming from there. The other day i saw her grab the toddler and drag him across the front porch and inside, on his face. I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem to be enough to report but I also find myself peeking out the windows several times a day to make sure the kids are ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't get involved myself and would just straight out call docs. So what happens if you do get involved and end up calling them is she going to know it was you? How would she react etc etc. If she isn't doing anything really wrong then she has nothing to worry about if she needs help then that is docs job I think. A friend of mine has a friend who is in a similar situation lets her children youngest being about 3 go to the skate park alone so she can get a break and even though my friend tells her she can't do this it doesn't stop her. She is stressed and burnt out and unfortunately my friend can't make that go away it's something her friend needs help with from professionals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyBreath View Post
    Um, Yeah. I was young and single while raising DS and you can bet I never left him alone in the front garden! The OP saying the girl seems young and single is not a jab at young single mums, it's on observation. Now if she'd said something like 'She's probably Aboriginal too..." Then yes, sure thing, extremely offensive.

OP, I know exactly how you feel. I live across the road from some sort of young mums emergency housing and the girl who's just moved in seems young and single, excepting the shirtless guitar player on her lawn every other day

But seriously, I think there's two little kids in the house and there's constantly screaming and fighting coming from there. The other day i saw her grab the toddler and drag him across the front porch and inside, on his face. I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem to be enough to report but I also find myself peeking out the windows several times a day to make sure the kids are ok
    Call up thу emerency housin place and report it there. they always have a social worker wos usually more in the loop, and more importantly in more of a position of insite and trust with the youn women to do thins about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know that I would try and talk with her and "befriend" her. She might react badly or alternatively feel relieved and want to unload on you. Is that something you can deal with? If I were you I would call DHS and talk with them. They are the experts and might be able to give you some suggestions on what to do. You can be anonymous and I know here that it takes 3 notifications before they act (although I assume they can override these protocols in cases of serious risk. Also, you don't even need to give the address... you can say that you are inquiring as to whether this situation is something that would be reportable (i don't know the law for the whole of Aus but I do know that in the NT everyone is legally required to report any situation where a child may be at risk). Whichever way you decide to go I hope it works out for you, her and the kids.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think saying anything to her would cause more problems if anything. Keep in mind if shes very young and single with 2 toddlers shes probably most days. If you really wnat to help try befriending her. You may find out shes a lovely girl at her wits end. She may end up confinding in you and then that why you can offer helpful advice without offending her. Also gives you a good opportunity to 'keep an eye' on her kids. I believe it takes a community to raise children. Someof the best advice i recieved as a child was from the neighbours & grandparents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if you thinkit is serious enough then report it, ihave done so before. But just because child protection are suppose to help and not tear apart fmailies it doesnt mean they will. they could do nothing, they could help or they could tear apart. and before anyone jumps on me for saying that, i have a long history with child protection and not on the recieving end either. there are some extremely bad mistakes made by people who are not trained very well, or over worked and from at least one person i have dealt with just a nasty cow who hated all young single parents. (no longer has a job with child safety by the way)
    I would try the "befriending" 1st myself. sometimes just having someone to vent to can help. i am happy to see you are actually concerned and not just judging this woman. I was young and single with a child previously (alothough im old now) and i took you post as nothing but a genuine convern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Perhaps go and introduce yourself to her and see if she'd like a friend/hand with the kids especially if she's a single mothe (not saying single mothers are hopeless or anything, just that maybe she doesn't get much of a break).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok i am a single mum.

Not young though.

While i have NEVER left my ds on his own out the front i have have yelled at him plenty.It isn't acceptable and i know that but when you are on your own with little social support and a really challenging child thats what happens sometimes.

I confess that i know the neighbours heard me and sometimes i wished they had of come over and given me a hand.

Not everything is always as it seems.

I agree with the others.Invite her over,she can only say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I did call DCP they spoke to me like I was some crazy woman cause I worried about the kids playing out the front of they're own house. and yeah basically they need 3 complaints to do anything. I personally dont think i can take on another persons problems at the moment, whish is why befriending her is out of the question. I think I will write an anoymous letter and put it in her letter box....only thing i can think of. The other night i went to bed at 9.30pm and the kids were still out the front by themselves

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast