+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    I actually think that Teley has a point. It's like saying "She's young and Aboriginal". It sets the scene for judgement, even though it's clear that the OP didn't intend it that way. It might be easy for those of us who haven't been subject to 3 - 4 years of harsh judgements because of our age to be flippant about it. Perhaps not so easy for somebody has been subject to it day in, day out. There might have been a better way to handle it, but I understand what it's like having a raw spot rubbed the wrong way by somebody's seemingly innocuous words.

Teley.

In any case, OP - I perhaps would try to strike up a conversation, too. Perhaps invite her around for a coffee and a chat while the kids play together, and maybe say something along the lines of "Is everything okay? I know we all have bad days, and lord knows 2 & 3 year olds can be challenging! How are you coping with it?" in a really non-judgemental way. You might be the friend she needs to be able to parent her children better.

It sounds like a really tough situation

Another great post, Tam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teley View Post
    No.

Okay perhaps I overreacted. It sjust somethin that jumped out at me. Youn mothers have it hard as it is. I think tryin to be supportive would be point of call mumber one.

DOCS would be point of call number two.
    It's all good I understand why someone would be sensitive about it but yeah, in this case, I really don't see that OP is suggesting anything negative about young single mums. I for one am totally in awe of most of them, I have no idea how they do what they do!

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    Hmm.. .that does sound worrying. I would call child protection - it is not like they will swoop in and take the kids but hopefully they will chat to her and get some support services happening. It is hard being a single mum with 2 kids so close together (from experience). But i do think intervention is necessary before things escalate and something happens to the kids (god forbid) or something happens that warrants the kids being taken away.
    yep, totally agree with what you have said here comebackkid.

She is obviously not coping the way things are & sounds like your gut feeling is guiding you do to do something before it gets out of control.

Listen to your instinct & make a move, wether its mentioning it to her somehow & give her the opportunity to pick up her game or go to the authorities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teley View Post
    Sorry I am oin to shout, so bare with me. I mean no harm but this has really irritated me.

What has the above underlined sentence ot to do with ANYThIN??!?!!
    Was once Young and single mum myself. and it was DAMN hard, Now not so young and not so single and looking back I know that situation placed tremendous stress on me. Have to say having a partner makes a huge difference, and having life expereince also made a huge difference I wish I knew what i know now back then etc. I put it in to suggest that the mum appeared to be in a situation that may put her under a lot of pressure, and i didnt want to go and call the police or DCP for someone who needed help and support.

I would still be worried about the kids if she was older and married.

And no I never screamed at my children when they were 3 ever. I raised my voice certainly but I didnt scream at them til they were about 5 and I really thought they were deliberately trying to upset me lol.
    Last edited by Steph83; 11-10-2010 at 22:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually think that Teley has a point. It's like saying "She's young and Aboriginal". It sets the scene for judgement, even though it's clear that the OP didn't intend it that way. It might be easy for those of us who haven't been subject to 3 - 4 years of harsh judgements because of our age to be flippant about it. Perhaps not so easy for somebody has been subject to it day in, day out. There might have been a better way to handle it, but I understand what it's like having a raw spot rubbed the wrong way by somebody's seemingly innocuous words.

Teley.

In any case, OP - I perhaps would try to strike up a conversation, too. Perhaps invite her around for a coffee and a chat while the kids play together, and maybe say something along the lines of "Is everything okay? I know we all have bad days, and lord knows 2 & 3 year olds can be challenging! How are you coping with it?" in a really non-judgemental way. You might be the friend she needs to be able to parent her children better.

Thanks Tam. You hit the nail on the head.

I apoloise to the OP, that was probably uncalled for.

Thanks
    Reviews

Teley.

For OP I wouldn't report her I would befriend her. It's hard being a parent even harder doing it on your own. She may just need a helping hand or a listening ear. It sounds like she is very stressed and fustrated maybe taking it out on the children a little but sometimes a friend can brighten up your day

I know I've yelled at my DD who's 3 I dont swear ever so I don't swear at her or call her names thats really worrying.

ETA - If you reported her, what would happen would the kids be taken away or would she get help like maybe a parenting course, skills on how to handle situations better etc?
    Last edited by Jensha; 11-10-2010 at 22:29.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I think it's worth mentioning that DHS aren't the big scary organisation that they're made out to be. Their focus is on keeping families together, not ripping them apart. They have the ability to help parents access parenting classes and counselling and get appropriate medical care for her children, if they're in need of it. It's also worth noting that one stand-alone notification isn't likely to get anything done, especially if they're not in immediate life-threatening danger.

It sounds like she really needs a helping hand out, and DHS might just be the route to that. I'd be inclined to ring and have a chat to them (anonymously if you wish). It might just be the boost she needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering what DHS is???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Department of human Services,

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Department of Human Services. Sorry! (Also known as Child Protective Services [CPS] and Department of Community Services [DoCS] depending on where you are ).