+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do you know op wouldn't have typed old and married? Now who's making judgements? It was just an observation on the situation.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basil For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (25-09-2012),threechooks  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natfeb View Post
    How do you know op wouldn't have typed old and married? Now who's making judgements? It was just an observation on the situation.
    Old and married? Doesnt come up often when describin a cild abuse suspect, sorry.

Also, youve never raised your voice at a 3 year old before? Yes swearin is different, but I ave raised my voice at my child when he was 3 and I was at the end of my tether.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teley View Post
    Sorry I am oin to shout, so bare with me. I mean no harm but this has really irritated me.

What has the above underlined sentence ot to do with ANYThIN??!?!!
    I just read it as background info... someone might have asked if OP could speak to her husband/partner. Why do people feel the need to take offence to EVERYTHING

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moozle For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (25-09-2012),onkybear  (22-10-2012),Rbottom  (25-09-2012),Smurfberrylizard  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suspect you are reacting without cause! (my nice attempt at"geez overreaction much"?!) I think the op was only setting the scene and giving background info purely to save someone from saying "where is the dad when this is happening?" "oh he's not home either" etc etc.....

Op- gosh i don't know what I would do... Prob jump on BH and ask the same Q! can't hurt to make a phone call?

Thanks
    Reviews
    *snap* moozle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teley View Post
    Old and married? Doesnt come up often when describin a cild abuse suspect, sorry.

Also, youve never raised your voice at a 3 year old before? Yes swearin is different, but I ave raised my voice at my child when he was 3 and I was at the end of my tether.
    Your post is very offensive - what are you trying to say, that people who are old and married are less likely to abuse their children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moozle View Post
    Your post is very offensive - what are you trying to say, that people who are old and married are less likely to abuse their children
    No.

Okay perhaps I overreacted. It sjust somethin that jumped out at me. Youn mothers have it hard as it is. I think tryin to be supportive would be point of call mumber one.

DOCS would be point of call number two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes come to BH when you need help with a situation...try to give all the details and be shot down for it by people who look like they a picking a fight !!! (and errr not helping with the OP one little bit )

OP, i would try to befriend her to be honest. find out if she has a support network and go from there. you could pull the old 'oh i just had my mum give me a ton of apples and was wonder if you want some'....something like that that could lead into conversation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SorenLorensen For This Useful Post:

Smurfberrylizard  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good idea - befriend. That way you can get more insight into the situation and come back looking for more advice from there Everyone needs a good neighbour!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I actually think that Teley has a point. It's like saying "She's young and Aboriginal". It sets the scene for judgement, even though it's clear that the OP didn't intend it that way. It might be easy for those of us who haven't been subject to 3 - 4 years of harsh judgements because of our age to be flippant about it. Perhaps not so easy for somebody has been subject to it day in, day out. There might have been a better way to handle it, but I understand what it's like having a raw spot rubbed the wrong way by somebody's seemingly innocuous words.

Teley.

In any case, OP - I perhaps would try to strike up a conversation, too. Perhaps invite her around for a coffee and a chat while the kids play together, and maybe say something along the lines of "Is everything okay? I know we all have bad days, and lord knows 2 & 3 year olds can be challenging! How are you coping with it?" in a really non-judgemental way. You might be the friend she needs to be able to parent her children better.

It sounds like a really tough situation