+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried about the kids next door

Hey
    I have a neighbour who I have to say I've never really taken the time to meet properly just said hi a few times. She appears to be young and single. She has two young children I would say about 2 and 3. I always hear her screaming at her kids, now I scream at my kids too, but not when they were that young, and I would never say the things to them that she does. The bigger problem is that the kids are outside, out the front from dawn to dusk. We dont live in the best neighbourhood and cars are constantly hooning up our street, and more than a few times the kids have been playing on the street.
    I really want to say something to her but I get the feeling it could cause a huge argument. It's not really something I can report to child protection, but I just dont know what to do. I find myself spending half my day watching the kids out the window.
    I'm not trying to be judgemental I know how hard it is to be a single mum and to raise two young children but I'm really worried about the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm... What does she shout at them? And are they out of their yard unsupervised?

Is there anyway you could offer to help out? To watch them or something?? Even just invite her over for a playdate/cuppa?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is definitely reportable if the children arent being supervised properly (they are out on the street) especially with the added dangers of traffic etc.

What action you take is up to you, however I just wanted to let you know that it is a valid reason to report.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And also i just checked out your sig - wow! What awesome birthdates your kids have. ANd congrats on the vbac - i am hoping for a vba2c this time around. Sorry - way off topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    She just yells at them to shut up and swears alot calls them names. No They are always unsupervised. the side gate is always wide open. If I'm out the front I'll have a chat to them and keep an eye on them, keep them off the road etc. but I really cant be taking care of any more children I have 3 of my own plus I care for my brother. I didnt think it was serious enough to report, i will call the police tommorow and see what they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you perhaps strike up a conversation and get to know her a little? She may open up to you.

It just sounds to me like maybe she needs a friendly ear or someone to listen to her?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.. .that does sound worrying. I would call child protection - it is not like they will swoop in and take the kids but hopefully they will chat to her and get some support services happening. It is hard being a single mum with 2 kids so close together (from experience). But i do think intervention is necessary before things escalate and something happens to the kids (god forbid) or something happens that warrants the kids being taken away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd talk to her, just a friendly chat and maybe flippantly mention that one if your kids nearly got hit by a car or something and to watch out, maybe hint her kids might be in danger, make it about the kids safety rather than her neglectfulness (is that even a word?!) I would definitely try this approach first.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph83 View Post
    Hey
    I have a neighbour who I have to say I've never really taken the time to meet properly just said hi a few times. She appears to be young and single. She has two young children I would say about 2 and 3. I always hear her screaming at her kids, now I scream at my kids too, but not when they were that young, and I would never say the things to them that she does. The bigger problem is that the kids are outside, out the front from dawn to dusk. We dont live in the best neighbourhood and cars are constantly hooning up our street, and more than a few times the kids have been playing on the street.
    I really want to say something to her but I get the feeling it could cause a huge argument. It's not really something I can report to child protection, but I just dont know what to do. I find myself spending half my day watching the kids out the window.
    I'm not trying to be judgemental I know how hard it is to be a single mum and to raise two young children but I'm really worried about the kids.

Sorry I am oin to shout, so bare with me. I mean no harm but this has really irritated me.

What has the above underlined sentence ot to do with ANYThIN??!?!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teley For This Useful Post:

HELPihavea2yrold!  (31-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do agree, Teley.

It has no reflection on the level of concern you should have or whether you should report it.