+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

Not true about sending plates each time at America - they send them all at the start. Sometimes dentists or orthodontists are not confident in it - so will suggest traditional braces - but if you find a platinum elite provider - then thy have so much experience. Always ask for a second opinion if a professional suggests no to something.

(my personal views - not professional)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kb90 View Post
    i was set on getting invisalign till the dentist talked me out of it, its not as accurate because its still so new. they have to send the initial shape of your teeth away to america where they guess the way your teeth are going to move and send all the plates back a few at a time, so if the new plate doesnt fit it needs to be sent all the way back to america and they all need to be reassesed so i went with braces. just seemed easier and suprising how many ppl after a year are like wtf when did you get braces. and honestly its gone so fast, i dont even notice ppl who have them on. just go with the clear brraces, its an extra $500 each top or bottom but better than the extra $4000 to be honest...
    I work in orthodontics and sorry but this isn't accurate. Invisalign has been available since 2000, is it no less accurate than having fixed appliances/braces. There is no guessing involved, Invisalign uses 3-D computer imaging technology to show you the complete treatment plan from the initial position to the final desired position before treatment even starts. As soon as you are happy with the computer simulation, a series of custom-made "Aligners" are produced. Each "Aligner" moves teeth incrementally and is usually worn for two weeks, then replaced by the next in the series until the final position is achieved. The computer simulation can also be used to estimate how long your treatment will take. In both clinical research and in dental practices throughout the world, Invisalign has been proven effective at straightening teeth.

FYI; I have had braces twice, once as a teen but didn't wear my retainers, and again at 24. I had ceramic uppers, and had no problems with them. We have loads of adult patients at our practice and it is so wonderful to see people's confidence upon removal, they are so so worth the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's everyone updates? I'm hoping to get mine of before Christmas this year. I'm soo over them. I've had all wisdom teeth removed. Last Thursday had my last one removed still hurts it was impacted. I was awake and needed 4 stitches. Mostly my teeth look perfect just minor fixes.

How is everyone else going?
    Last edited by Jensha; 07-05-2012 at 22:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieKitten View Post
    Bumping this thread - doing market research! Anyone doing invisalign or thinking about it?? It's as good as traditional braces but clear! I'm getting them free (work at the leading clinic in Melbourne) but I wonder why people still opt for traditional? Is it because you didn't hear of invisalign??

Xx
    I chose metal normal braces because I wanted coloured bands lol I could have got clear version of normal braces but didn't want them discolouring and wanted funky colours.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never been told that I needed braces. Then again I haven't had a regular dentist since I was 12ish. However I am very self conscious about my small gaps and the fact that one of my top incisors is at a right angle to the one next to it.

I have thought about requesting them but thought my husband/ dentist might think i am crazy. I have PHI and go to a fairly cheap clinic ($30 per tooth for extraction of wisdoms) So when money is better and I have had bubs I might look into it.

However I am put off it cause I have had 2 friends describe in detail the pain of getting braces tightened. One of them including the Pain of her ear drum popping Due to them being over tightened. I couldn't talk about braces or look at someone with them for 5 years after that without needing a panadol for the tooth pain (hence why I never looked into it when I was younger)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't have severe overcrowding pain will be less then someone who has really bad teeth. It does hurt but it's worth it. And panadol does take the pain away. I've had tighyenings where I've been able to eat straight after no problems hasn't hurt and tightening where I've been on soft food for a few days. You should look into it if it's something that has been on your mind for a while now. I'm saying all this with pain from getting an impacted wisdom tooth removed and I still think its worth it lol I had really bad teeth too so the pain I've had is up there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine are coming aling nicely , in fact after only having had them on for 6 months, the Orthodontist and his assistants couldn't get over how much my teeth have shifted already and a lot of it is do with the relaxin in this pregnancy, a nice little added bonus!

As for adjustments, mine hurt (afterwards) a lot, but I am pregnant, so everything is over-sensitised anyway. I can't take anything bar Panadol for pain, so if it gets really bad I just take Panadol. I've only had 3 adjustments to far and each one has been achey and made my teeth all sensitive for about a week and then I am fine again. It's certainly not something that would put me off getting braces, the pain doesn't last and I can still eat, just more gingerly than if it wasn't adjustment week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I get mine on on Friday. I'm dreading it. I just want the end result but I'm sick of my mouth hurting! I had a wire put on the bottom of my teeth at the back to move them. The first attempt it dug in to my gum so bad my gum grew this massive ulcer and then tried to grow over the wire. Gastro went through the family so I couldn't get to the dentist to get it off. Then I had two teeth pulled, which essentially was fine, but it was the most nerve wracking part of my journey so far. Then they put the wire back on the bottom and 2 and a half week slater my tongue has almost stopped hurting from needing to get used to it. It hurt so much I could barely even talk and when I had to talk/eat/drink the pain would bring tears to my eyes. Now braces go on on Fri...I'm over it but I don't have a choice, I have to have it done so I'm just looking forward to the end!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You honestly might find your braces aren't that bad. They certainly don't hurt to first get put on. Initially once they're on they may cause some discomfort, as your mouth has to get used to them there, so your cheeks, gums etc need a little time. You may find comfort wax helps (out over the wires) and parts that are irritating you and before you leave the Orthodontist, make sure you have a lick around your mouth to make sure they haven't left any sharp wires at the end, or that the wires are uncomfortably long. All the best for Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks uniquey. I've had braces as a teen, I spent 7 years having dental work done on my teeth as a kid and the dentist stuffed up and so this is round two. I'm over it because I've already done this before!!
    Got my braces on yesterday, my teeth are sensitive but my gums are all in tact still so that's something!
    It was such a nightmare getting to the dentist...I missed my bus (it came early or it simply didn't turn up..one of the two), the next bus didn't come, the next bus had already been to the stop closeish to my dentist so I walked from uni to the dentist as fast as I could with a bag on my back containing my lap top, text book etc. and my bag came undone a couple of times and my Esprit jumper fell out I was 25 minutes late to my appt but my dentist was very understanding!
    Now back on Wed to have my two false teeth taken out, an impression done, toothless for the day and then back to the dentist for my 'moveable' false teeth on a plate so I have a complete smile at least (I am missing 6 teeth, 4 of them are noticeable). I am hiding out at home on Wed.