+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bumpety, bump!

I am only new to the 'brace face' I got mine on last week, so still feeling very awkward, self conscious and a little sore. I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it when they're off, but it seems so far away at the moment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have them on atm had them for 8 months now and they are so straight already waiting for them to tell me how much longer I'll need them on for
    I have also been told by a friend who worked in orthodontics that so many pregnant women came in to get braces because of the hormones, it causes the teeth to move twice as fast so fingers crossed I won't have them on for as long as I thought when baby is born
    Always been told I look 16 rather than 21, so to hav braces and a baby on top... Ppl will give me stares hah
    Oh well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's funny you should mention 'pregnancy' and braces, kb90 as I have unexpectantly fallen pregnant and now have the braces on. At first I was worried about the effect it would have, but my DH said he thought the relaxin hormones would actually help shift the teeth faster and low and behold my Orthodontist said the same thing! So a nice little added bonus. That said, it's very difficult delaling with M/S and first trimester symptoms whilst adjusting to braces on top of that. Not only am I restricted in what I can eat because of pregnancy no, no's but aslo braces no no's!

Great news that you can already see a difference in your teeth after only 8 months though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this thread - doing market research! Anyone doing invisalign or thinking about it?? It's as good as traditional braces but clear! I'm getting them free (work at the leading clinic in Melbourne) but I wonder why people still opt for traditional? Is it because you didn't hear of invisalign??

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am getting braces put on on the 1st May and won't be going clear. It will either be ceramic or metal for me. My sister had clear braces after her metal braces and they dug in to her gums, cutting them all up, she had a lot of trouble talking with them, it's awkward pulling something out of your mouth every time you need to eat etc. I had to do it with a plate I had as a kid and was embarassed then. I would still be embarassed now.

My dentist has been really good. He gave me a metal wire at the back of my top teeth and got the expansion happening with that. Now my top teeth have expanded enough he's put a wire on the back of the bottom (less pain to do it seperately). I also had to re-train myself with the way I breathe. Apparently if you are a mouth breather your teeth will go back to where they were before braces, it's extremely important you learn to breath through your nose. I have been a mouth breather my whole life but now I breathe for my nose. I also wear a trainer of a night, which I hate, but it's all part of the treatment.

I have two false teeth and two baby teeth still that need to be pulled. They get pulled out next week and then I get the brackets removed from the wries on my top teeth in april and the braces on in May. I will probably only need them for 6 months, maybe less, because of the speed my teeth move at and the work that has been done by the wires.
    another reason people opt for metal over clear or ceramic is because it is cheaper. My dental work is going to cost me $16 000 by the end of it ($4 000 per false tooth x 4) and my dentist has been very kind about the way he charges me but when you're looking at figures like that metal braces for 6 months to save some money is not that bad a thing to go through. My dentist thinks he can do ceramic for the same price as metal but if he can't I'll go the cheapest option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear your sister had trouble - we had 300 patients last year use invisalign and heard some great feedback on the comfort. Speech sometimes is impacted for the first week - but I guess it does depend on an individual case :-) xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wow i am fascinated to hear more about this... we are looking at braces for dd. i am a bit worried now about the pain side of it, which we honestly hadn't considered at all. i am also keen for her to get her mouth breathing issues sorted before her braces get fitted. it is pretty daunting actually!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh braces. I was thinking about those today(yesterday).

I had them when I was about 14-15. Now 21 and the bottom teeth are shifting, one of which is starting to over lap another. Going to think about getting them just on the bottom, or a plate. Hopefully that will fix the problem. The top luckily are still perfect.

What are the costs these days? Mine when I was younger ended up costing my parents $11000 :| and at the same time they paid around $9000 for my older sisters braces. Yikes.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm brace free now but I had them put on at 25 and wore them for just under 2 years, the pain wasn't as bad as I expected. My orthodontist let me pay as we went along around 5k.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was set on getting invisalign till the dentist talked me out of it, its not as accurate because its still so new. they have to send the initial shape of your teeth away to america where they guess the way your teeth are going to move and send all the plates back a few at a time, so if the new plate doesnt fit it needs to be sent all the way back to america and they all need to be reassesed so i went with braces. just seemed easier and suprising how many ppl after a year are like wtf when did you get braces. and honestly its gone so fast, i dont even notice ppl who have them on. just go with the clear brraces, its an extra $500 each top or bottom but better than the extra $4000 to be honest...