+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Emilsmum

The Diabetes Educator recommended that I go onto Metaformin. I live in a small town so to see the Endo is a bit of a trek (I also have to make the same trek to go to my antenatal appointments, but fought to have some in my town just so that I don't have to make the 400km round trip every two weeks). No one has really given me any information on what I should be doing, everything that I am doing and do know has come from internet browsing and talking to a close friend who has Type 1. The main thing that I don't understand is how can I go from having fairly good levels before the Metaformin to having awful levels afterwards - even though my eating hasn't changed?!

I'm going to try to start dropping down my carbs, but I really don't know how much I should be eating. I read somewhere that it should only be 125g a day?! I always feel hungry if I don't eat carbs and I don't really know how to approach meals and cooking without a carb staple.

Chubear - I'm doing more exercise since going onto the Metaformin last Wednesday - trying to get out and about more and going to the pool when the weather is decent (which has been twice). I also find that on mornings when I have awful M/S my levels are much higher...

Do either of you know if having lowered liver function can affect how Metaformin or just insulin production works? I have pretty bad liver function because of a stupid mistake a few years ago, and it was getting better, but it started getting worse again recently and at the same time my blood sugar started rising.
    Last edited by jazzycat89; 24-11-2014 at 08:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That must be so difficult for you!!

Firstly I'll start by telling you type 1 diabetes and GD are pretty different. I know they're both a form of the same thing but they are also very different in many ways.

The amount of carbs you should be eating is really very personalised so it's difficult to give you advice about that but the way I do it is that 1 carb unit = 15 grams of carbs which you can find out from looking at the info on a pack or looking something up before you eat. The diet I was given by the diabetes team would see me eating

Breakfast 3 carbs
    Snack 2 carbs
    Lunch 3 carbs
    Snack 2 carbs
    Dinner 3 - 4 carbs
    Snack 2 carbs

Which is honestly too much and my levels were shooting up!!! I have reduced it to 1 or 2 carbs per meal and 1 or 2 carbs per snack. Which is helping me keep my levels down without the extra use of insulin. My only level I take insulin for are my morning levels.

I always have a carb in my meal you still need to eat carbs but be aware of how much you're wating. I find it best to avoid things like pasta especially because it's easy to over do it! (Least it certainly is for me! Lol) so I will have some thing like a piece of crumbed chicken and then eat a large amount of veggies or salad or have bbq chicken veggies and a potato. Eating a higher protein diet has really helped me feel full this time around and honestly I'm the same as you and I'm addicted to carbs!!

As for having really bad levels since going on metaformin, it may not be the metaformin which is the problem. How many week along are you now? The further you get into your pregnancy the harder it will get to manage your levels and the more intervention you will most likely need. A week can make a huge difference when it comes to your levels so the second you see them start to rise consistently and you can't explain it by what you ate (as in opps I ate too many carbs) I'd be contacting the person in charge of your care for advice. I'm lucky because I can email the diabetes team when I need to instead of calling or making an appointment. It will take a while before you get your medication at the right level and then it will likely have to go up agin in a week or two because of the increased demands of the pregnancy on the body! It's rather frustrating!

Anything that affects how your body functions can have an affect of your BSL! So I'd say yes it's entirely possible that your liver function is affecting your BSL. You will have to take the management of that up with your doctor and diabetes educator.

I have found when it comes to exercise that even doing things that just keep me off my butt help! So I will soend extra time hanging out washing, cleaning and tidying the house and I take the longer way on a walk or I will purposefully take the stairs. It all helps reduce your BSL.

Sorry I've written an absolute essay for you!! I hope it helps you though!! And I'm sorry it's a bit all over the place too lol
    Last edited by EmilsMum; 25-11-2014 at 05:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Te diet given to me was very similar , carb portion 15g also

breaky 2-3 carbs
    snack 1-2
    lunch 2-3
    snack 0-1
    dunner 3-4

if I found I was too high, they said to try the lowest option.
    i found frozen meals great for work lunches cos the packet told me exactly what was in it ( just watch salt content)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much guys. I stopped the Metaformin and just started eating a low carb diet strictly and my day levels have evened out, but my fast levels are still high. The diet I was given is:

Main meals: 2 carbs
    Snacks: 1 carb

For me it's really difficult to do that because I've never snacked before! Afternoon tea and a supper I can handle but morning tea is tough.

Originally I was annoyed and thought that I didn't have GD at all and that I might have pre-diabetes (type 2) because I thought my fasting levels were fine and were more about my diet than about hormones, but now every night when I wake up to go to the loo (about 3am) I test as well, and it's always low and then will have raised again by morning (about 8am) - definitely GD! I have to see my DE & GP this week to get on insulin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I was put onto insulin overnight now to lower my morning levels, just took my first dose a couple of hours ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, so I'm 9 plus 5 and started out at 170cm/98kg/size 16. I'm hovering around 100 now. Doc has said to just monitor my weight.... Anyone else start out similar? Any issues? I'm thinking about calorie/carb restrictions, despite not wanting to "diet" while pregnant.... Help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Brron they say not to diet in pregnancy as its not safe. Most advice I've read is to eat a balanced healthy range of foods. not to limit your intake but to be aware of it....and to combine it with a light exercise. 30 min walk each day.

(I would walk each day if i wasn't knackered by 2pm lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe consult a dietitician ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a question ladies....

Where do you get your maternity clothes from? I was between a 20-22 pre-pregnancy...And i cant seem to find anything!! I can go up a size or two, but it looks tent-like, and the fashion atm isnt very giving to expanding bellies!

It was easy with my son, even though i was bigger! I just happened to be pregnant at a time smock type tops and the maxi skirt/dresses with the gathered elastic stretchy bit were in, so lived in those and didnt need any maternity clothes!

Im starting to outgrow all my clothes! Even my comfy leggings But i also have nothing for summer So, wheres a good place, thats not going to require a small mortgage to get some plus sized maternity clothes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent a lot of my pregnancy searching for the same thing. I didn't find it! Towards the end I just wore any top that still fit with tights that were the next size or two up. I bought one new top for my baby shower from autograph which had a pull in band just under the breast to define my bump a bit. Maternity clothes were very expensive. I did spend $60 on a maternity/breastfeeding nightie and I'm still using that. Hope you have better luck than me