+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Guys - totally new here, and I have a few questions

So I'm 28, 170cm and weigh 97kg. I have lost 10kgs since February and am feeling really great physically. I am very muscular (years of horseriding) so even though my BMI is sitting at 32, my doctor says I'm not considered 'obese' however I am indeed overweight.

My weight crept up about 6 years ago when I was put on medication for anxiety. I've slowly been weaning myself off in prep for pregnancy and that has assisted in my weight loss along with a very healthy diet and walking/strength training and regular yoga.

My question is - should I aim to get down to about 85kg before TTC? I am so keen to get started however I am terrified of being uncomfortable in pregnancy due to being overweight (I get that it'll be uncomfortable regardless at times!!)

Anyone in/been in similar shoes to me?

Any advice would be awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi @enelya I know that Glenn Lewis and Simon Turner deliver at SJOG Subiaco but if you go on their website you can search for ob's that deliver there

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bron85 View Post
    Hi Guys - totally new here, and I have a few questions

So I'm 28, 170cm and weigh 97kg. I have lost 10kgs since February and am feeling really great physically. I am very muscular (years of horseriding) so even though my BMI is sitting at 32, my doctor says I'm not considered 'obese' however I am indeed overweight.

My weight crept up about 6 years ago when I was put on medication for anxiety. I've slowly been weaning myself off in prep for pregnancy and that has assisted in my weight loss along with a very healthy diet and walking/strength training and regular yoga.

My question is - should I aim to get down to about 85kg before TTC? I am so keen to get started however I am terrified of being uncomfortable in pregnancy due to being overweight (I get that it'll be uncomfortable regardless at times!!)

Anyone in/been in similar shoes to me?

Any advice would be awesome
    I'm both shorter and fatter than you haha. I had to lose weight for Ivf. Start ttc and just do pregnancy friendly exercise in your two week wait.

Pregnancy guidelines are don't over heat or over excerpt yourself. I got around this by doing aqua aerobics. Great thing is you can continue this while pregnant too. But they say if you are a regular exerciser you can keep this up your entire pregnancy

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed
    Barny barnacle - MMC Feb14 🎀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bron. I was more comfortable in my pregnancy than some slender friends as I'm used to managing extra weight. You sound fit and well, and that is a better indicator than the scale number.

With your eating you are on a much better path than me and may not gain any weight at all throughout your pregnancy.

If you feel you are ready to get started I would. It can take time and you can use the time to continue with your regime.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bron

Your stats match my starting stats almost exactly. I had lost a lot of weight within the couple of years prior (about 30kg) but was still hanging around 100kg. I'm 28 and 168cm.

I'm just under 31 weeks now (first pregnancy) and haven't had any real issues with discomfort yet, but I've only gained just on 5kg. My dr suggested at the beginning that I try to keep under 9kg all up and so far so good but no promises haha! She's happy with how ok doing so far though

I have had perfect BP (reading on Wednesday was 116/68) and blood glucose, never really had morning sickness and bub is straight down the line on every stat so far. I felt it was a bit longer before people could really tell I was pregnant though, to be honest I just looked like I had gained a bit of pudge for a looooooong time.

In my opinion, don't let being overweight hold you back from anything - ever. Start now and keep up your good eating regime good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much for the support and advice ladies! I've never felt, or even looked 'fat', I'm just so focused on those stupid numbers (scales and BMI).

My doctor has assured me that while losing another 50-10 would help, it's not essential.

My partner is wanting to start yesterday....it's just me that has to let go of my hang ups....

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bron sounds like you are ready to go for it along with everyone around you. I had a baby on Tuesday and blood pressure etc. was fine throughout. Good luck!

Tattereds I know what you mean. People were unsure if I was pregnant or not until the last two months and I reckon even then some of them were reluctant to comment in case I wasn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hwaterhouse View Post
    Bron sounds like you are ready to go for it along with everyone around you. I had a baby on Tuesday and blood pressure etc. was fine throughout. Good luck!

Tattereds I know what you mean. People were unsure if I was pregnant or not until the last two months and I reckon even then some of them were reluctant to comment in case I wasn't!
    Haha yep, some people are still unsure I think! I ran in to someone today I haven't seen for about 12 months and she didn't realise I was pregnant until she asked "so what's new?" Haha! Clearly my tummy is still deceiving people

Glad you've decided to go for it Bron, you won't look back! Such an exciting time! Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, have just found out I'm pregnant and heading to the doc for my bloodwork today. I've been on healthy eating exercise plan since mid January and have managed to lose 18kgs. I'm 166cm tall and now weigh 92kgs. Bmi thoughts r killing me ... Technically I'm sitting at 33 right now, so still in the obese category ... I know the public hospital has bmi restriction of 35...which for me is only a few kgs away.... I'm praying the private hospital will be ok and ok with me still losing a tiny bit of weight during first tri in order to have my baby in my local hospital.

ill talk it all over with the doc this arvo, but just really don't want to have to travel to have a baby.

(my gp told me on Tuesday that most women put on 12kgs in pregnancy... But I'm not sure she realised my bmi ... I'm carrying the last if this weight well it seems lol)
    Last edited by lilyloubelle; 09-05-2014 at 16:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know with BMI restrictions, is it based on what you way on first appointment or when you go in for delivery?