+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks girls. Hey Widget

Other than my age, everything is the same as last year. If anything, I'm feeling much better this pregnancy. I was never asked to do this last time, so I'm guessing it's this midwife that follows this procedure. I haven't even seen the OB and won't until December. I have a middie appointment on Monday where I'll discuss it further with them. Hopefully I'll get a different one (quite often do) and may get a second opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys I had to do a 2 hour GTT test at 24 weeks then another at 28 weeks. The 24 week one was normal. My friend who is pregnant and a size 12 also had to have a 2 hour test but just once at 28 weeks. We were both told that they are introducing the
    2 hour test as a routine thing. All women regardless of risk factors to have it. I
    understand why u wouldn't want it and after
    my first was normal I nearly refused the
    second but I'm glad I didn't. It wasn't nice
    to find out I have GD and it's not nice
    testing myself 4 times a day but hey I'm
    willing to do whatever it takes to ensure my
    baby is as healthy as possible. I'll do all
    that's within my power. Don't take it
    personal that u have to do the test. U have
    nothing to lose if it's normal, u have only lost 2 hours of ur life waiting for the test. In saying that, it's your body and your right to choose.
    Xoxo
    Karen
    Last edited by kazam; 12-11-2010 at 17:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's good that they are introducing the two hour test to every pregnant woman...everyone who I have known to have GD have been average in size and weight...you wouldn't know it looking at them...yet they say overweight women are more succeptable...I don't understand. I think they just want to make exceptions for us, making us feel worse for being bigger than the average. But the 2 hour test for all women during pregnancy should clear up those facts, which is excellent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the 2 hour first up is brilliant too. I had to have the 2 hour one at 27 weeks due to my BMI. It's only one more hour and I guess a lot more accurate and there's none of that having to go back / worrying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wait an hour? Only at the mater hospital did that ever happen to me, to get in to see the midwife. Where are you going Widjet? That is a crappy inexscusable wait time. The place near where I live...maximum wait is 15 minutes to get in...which is fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default argh!

Hi guys,
    I know I seem to only get on here lately to vent.. sorry bout that. I had my first visit yesterday at the diabetic clinic at the hospital. I saw an Endocrinologist, a Diabetic educator, a dietician and an obstetrician. 4 people over about 3 hours. Too many of my readings were over the recommended so they have put me on insulin, once a day, as well as metformin. Apparently their targets are fairly strict so even 1-2 over is BAD. I was a bit down after being told about the insulin but the educator and the dietician were really great. They looked at my food diary and said that I hadnt done anything wrong. I had eaten well, it was my body that was letting me down. Then I saw the obstetrician and now I'm searching for facts or people who have experienced what I am going to. (obese and GDM)
    The OB basically told me that they recommend that I have an early epidural (in case they need to do a caesar and they cant get it in later and its safer than a general) she also said that I will most likely be induced and they wont let me go over 40 weeks. It seems like they are pushing me towards everything I didnt want. And making me feel guilty because I'm putting my baby at risk if I dont do what they say.. (high risk of perinatal and maternal death at your BMI) I'm not sure how much of this would still be the case if I didnt have GDM but I'm thinking that most of it prob would be I have been searching for blogs and such that have case studies of plus size births with the added complication of GDM but I havent been able to find any. I havent read back over all the posts here (but I will later). I just needed to vent I guess.. Anyone know any success stories or horror stories? I want to feel educated about this, not be pushed into all the things I dont believe in, just because I'm high risk. Risks are risks, they arent definites.. are they? ah i hope Im making sense..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies..Thanks Oscars Mummy for putting my birth announcement in this thread for the other ladies to see.

Hope your all doing well and the bubbas are healthy and growing inside!!!!

My bub is 3 weeks old tomorrow boy how time flies!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Kazam, and slaps to the silly people who like to frighten us!!

I found this website http://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/ in another thread and they have some good research articles...maybe a place to start your research

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is horrible to hear. They make it sound like a death sentence if you have diabetes...and yet hundreds of thousands of people live with it everyday with no complications!

Anyway a bit of good news! I haven't put on any weight at all since being pregnant! I am still 100kgs and staying I think....and yet my stomach looks like I am smuggling a basketball!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    Public in Sydney...
    And wow! I am also Public...I go to a bulk billing doctor in QLD and they are really excellent. I don't know about the hospital yet as I have only just moved from Brisbane to the Gold Coast and my first appointment is on the 10th december! Which is apparently the first on they could give me...must be ALOT of pregnant women out there!