+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hello!

just found out i'm pregnant and wondering if anyone can recommend OBs in perth who deliver at St John of God Murdoch, who aren't too prejudice against overweight people!

I'm terrified to go to my Dr as she has said i am too big, and i have been working on losing the weight but it is frustrating as I am perfectly healthy in every other way

I haven't even had a flu in the last 5 years, she tested my cholesterol and for diabetes and they were negative and she just gives the impression that i am unhealthy due to the weight.

I am a lot more healthy then a lot of people i know and don't drink or smoke.

So really don't want to get an OB who is the same... obviously there are risks, however I know several people who are ideal weights and they still had gestational diabetes....

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hwaterhouse View Post
    I was so happy to come across this thread but it appears it has been out of action for a while. Am I the only obese pregnant person around? If anyone shows up before April 2014 join me!!
    Hi Hayley!

Me too... bit nervous about what the dr's will say.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Enelya. Congrats! I'm from Sydney so can't help you re ob recommendations. I'm going through the public system and while my high BMI is a risk factor they have been pretty good about not going on about my weight all the time. So far my pregnancy has been trouble free. My ob wanted me to lose weight throughout my pregnancy but I have steadily gained. He did recommend I try a planned weight loss regime after baby and perhaps surgery if it's unsuccessful. At 106kg my BMI is now above 40. I was 95kg at 12 weeks (I am now 36 weeks). I will say that it is uncomfortable having my weight monitored so closely, but for the first time in my life I'm not obsessing about the scales and the way I view my body has changed carrying a baby. I have 4 weeks to go and then will have to get back to gradually losing the weight. I'd prefer to weigh less (perhaps 80kg) before I get pregnant next time. But no one has 'shamed' me. From what I've read the big women who are treated like a normal pregnancy have a better pregnancy and delivery than women who have size 'unfriendly' doctors. I hope you find the right one for you.
    Last edited by hwaterhouse; 30-03-2014 at 20:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Enelya. Congrats! I'm from Sydney so can't help you re ob recommendations. I'm going through the public system and while my high BMI is a risk factor they have been pretty good about not going on about my weight all the time. So far my pregnancy has been trouble free. My ob wanted me to lose weight throughout my pregnancy but I have steadily gained. He did recommend I try a planned weight loss regime after baby and perhaps surgery if it's unsuccessful. At 106kg my BMI is now above 40. I was 95kg at 12 weeks (I am now 36 weeks). I will say that it is uncomfortable having my weight monitored so closely, but for the first time in my life I'm not obsessing about the scales and the way I view my body has changed carrying a baby. I have 4 weeks to go and then will have to get back to gradually losing the weight. I'd prefer to weigh less (perhaps 80kg) before I get pregnant next time. But no one has 'shamed' me. From what I've read the big women who are treated like a normal pregnancy have a better pregnancy and delivery than women who have size 'unfriendly' doctors. I hope you find the right one for you.
    i'm about 6 weeks so very early on. Went to the GP this morning (a practice I have only been to once before, not my regular one as they weren't answering the phone!) and she confirmed the pregnancy, weighed me (115kg - 15kg less than i was expecting) and asked if i had thought about antenatal care, and I was like I want to go private so she said do some research, then come back and we can give you a referral.

No mention of the weight and my old Dr's scales are clearly out!!!!!

I have actually booked into an OB now, Colin Blair, from all accounts he is lovely, but I don't get to go see him until 10 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news! Wow, I wish I was 15kg less than I thought! I hope your ob is supportive. You expect them to go over diet and exercise briefly but not go on and on about it. Please check back in when you see him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i hope he is too!

I'm a bit annoyed as had just started Lite n Easy last week to reduce weight so hopefully we would conceive and then BOOM BFP!

can't do it anymore (if it weren't for the prepackaged salads and the meats and all the other now bad things they use it would be so handy though)

its a good thing to be annoyed about

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did Lite n Easy to get my BMI below 35 for IVF, but yes - shouldn't do it while pregnant! It certainly is convenient when working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did Lite n Easy to get my BMI below 35 for IVF, but yes - shouldn't do it while pregnant! It certainly is convenient when working.

If you don't mind me asking, why shouldn't people use lite n easy while pregnant? Is it due to all of the salads etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladybug. I guess it depends how cautious you are. Nutritionally the food should be good (better than what I'm eating now!). As long as you ensured you were eating enough calories and avoided the pre packaged salads etc it may be okay. I would speak to a doctor about it - but yes, I was mainly referring to the ingredients and foods to avoid rather than calories or nutrition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladybug. I guess it depends how cautious you are. Nutritionally the food should be good (better than what I'm eating now!). As long as you ensured you were eating enough calories and avoided the pre packaged salads etc it may be okay. I would speak to a doctor about it - but yes, I was mainly referring to the ingredients and foods to avoid rather than calories or nutrition.

Thank you 😊