+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Miggins, we don't have scales at home atm, just moved and our scales are at our house in Perth. Might have to invest in some new ones.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LottieS For This Useful Post:

miggins  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NicM View Post
    I'm at 10 weeks tomorrow, had some pink on the toilet paper along with pain and went to the emergency dept sat night, got weighed and found out i had lost nearly 5kg since the end of sept, I'm happy with that. I have my first appointment with the midwives on valentines day, I'm just hoping there wont be too many comments about my weight, I was thrilled when I worked out i had lost 18kg since April (considering i now weigh just under 160kg, any weight loss is good)
    Hi NicM!
    Congrats on weight loss!!
    I hope your feeling better and the pink and pain has gone away!
    I'm due the 14th and roughly the same weight too, roughly size20/22. I'm a little worried my appointments will get alot of 'weight judgement' aswell, allready been told I HAVE to get a NT scan due to High BMI and that its inevitable that I'll get GD.

Hey LottieS and miggins, dont let your weight get you down. If it was such a huge problem then you wouldnt've fallen pregnant in the first place. Dont let them to push you into DIEting, women of all sizes have been giving birth for centuries its just they like to scare us into being the norm. Aslong as your healthy, happy, trying to eat healthy and drinking more water then your all sweet

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahpez For This Useful Post:

miggins  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aphez

Unfortunately it didn't turn out well for NicM and she had to have a D&C today.

Thanks for the weight advice. Doing my best with the water but I have difficulty keeping plain water down when I am not pregnant, let alone with ms, but cordial helps. Will be working on the healthy bit in T2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So very sorry NicM sending lots of hugs your way.

LottieS Hope you feel better soon. I normally prefer water over anything else, but in the early days of pregnancy can't stomach a lot of it. I use diet blackcurrant cordial which helps to give a bit of a Vit C boost and assists with iron absorption as well

Welcome Hoping hope you start to feel better soon too I don't understand how the rules can change so much from Dr to Dr I have had a different opinion from 5 different people now, it's no wonder people get confused.

Tasha Our #4 came along a little earlier than expected too, we were going to start TTC when #3 was at least 18months, however #4 got in there early when DS was 8months! It was a bit of a shock to the system because I don't think my body had recovered too well and although the pregnancy itself was hard physically, the bond that the two boys have now with 16months apart is very special to see and I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I hope you feel better soon.

Well quick update on me, I am 20 weeks tomorrow, so halfway there
    We had our morph scan last week and bub is very healthy and happy, and we found out that it is a little girl! So DD is very excited to be getting the sister she always wanted and DH is over the moon and already buying lots of little frilly dresses

Health wise for me, I have had to increase my nightly insulin a little bit, and also introduce insulin before my dinner as well as my lunch. I was expecting it so it's no big surprise, trick is now to try and keep the levels low and watch my food intake so I don't gain too much weight.

Weight wise I have regained 1.5kg over the last month from the 10kg I lost initially. I am trying really hard now to have this next month with no gain at all which I think I can manage if I focus. I have signed up to the 1million kilo challenge that Channel 10 is running, DH and I are both going to take part, they send you meal plans with shopping lists, exercise plans and have online diary systems so you can track your progress. It's only for 10 weeks but if it gets me to 30 weeks with minimal gains and better fitness it's worth a shot, and it'll probably be something that I can continue on with long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you all for your support, we will try again, just not sure when

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So sorry nicm thinking of you as you go through this

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub trying to concur Auto correct one text at a time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just popping my head in here to ask a quick question...I have read a few pages on this thread and have seen a few people say they have lost weight and they are pregnant.....is this safe to do...for bubs I mean? Im 82kg and just want to lose a few kgs as I ended up putting on 14kg with my last..im 3 weeks pregnant now.

I didnt think it was safe to do though....

Thanks
    Reviews
    GothChick, depends on how overweight you actually are. I was about 40kg overweight when I fell pregnant, and classified as high risk due to obesity because my BMI was over by .1 points. The cut off for being classified higher risk due to weight is a BMI of 36, and I came in at 36.1.

Obviously at that BMI I am very overweight and am putting myself and bub in no danger if I lose a small amount of weight while pregnant because my system has enough fat stores to provide for bub in the early stages. I am not dieting, I eat three healthy well rounded meals with three snacks a day and just watch my carb intake because I am diabetic. I also take multivitamins and folate. It has just worked out for me this time that I have lost 10kg so far without really 'trying'. I stopped losing weight around the 14 week mark and maintained for a while, and it's really been the last three weeks I have put on 1.5-2kg. I find that I still gain weight in the latter half of pregnancy, the last two times I lost 2kg in the first half, regained it at 20weeks, and then gained 6kg in the remaining second half, but the whole 8kg was gone within a week of birth so it was all baby related weight.

So it really depends on your BMI and how overweight you are. There is a calculator here http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm . If you're just a little bit overweight then no its not really ideal for you to be losing anything, pregnancy guidelines recommend a gain of 8-15kg for most women, and still a gain of 5-8kg for obese women. But theres no harm in watching your diet, eating well and exercising and trying to make sure that any gains stay within that healthy parameter for pregnancy.

Edited to add - sorry for the name mix up the forums wouldn't let me change anything and kept freezing up on me!!!
    Last edited by Mum5; 24-01-2012 at 07:58.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Is being overweight a problem while pregnant?Since my friend is a little overweight and she was told to lose weight for the baby.

Couple of things to note first - losing weight during pregnancy is not generally to be advised.

Secondly, baby is like a parasite and if she does not have a healthy diet, the baby that suck mum dry of all her stored vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, with the risk of mum becoming malnourished herself (bub will be fine).

To answer your question specifically, depending on how overweight you are, it can increase the risk of gestational diabetes, per-eclampsia and dvt. On top of this overweight ladies may not be as fit as healthy weight ladies which can make labour harder.

If your friend is only a little overweight she should not need to lose weight.

The recommended weight for healthy weight ladies is aound the 10kg mark, remember at birth babies weigh 3-3.5 kgs and added to that is the placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood etc etc and it all adds up.

For overweight ladies the recommend you keep the weight gain to 3-5kg.

For obese ladies, those with a Bmi over 35-40, weight loss is acceptable ONLY if they eat a very balanced & healthy diet, taking pregnancy vitamins will not replace a healthy diet.

I hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Is being overweight a problem while pregnant?Since my friend is a little overweight and she was told to lose weight for the baby.
    It really depends. Problems can vary between medical issues and personal comfort. But you can also get lukcy and sail through pregnancy and delivery with no dramas at all.

I have been overweight in varying degrees for all of my pregnancies, and I can vouch that the heavier you are the harder it is to actually carry around the pregnancy in the later stages. I found that I get tired more easily, sweat more, ache in my joints more, have more back ache and my mobility gets limited with the pressure on my pelvis.

Medically there are a range of issues that can affect overweight and obese women. Increased risk of gestational diabetes, high blood pressure which can lead to pre-eclampsia, difficulities with administering epidural during labour are the main ones I can think of right now.

But it really comes down to how overweight you are, if it's a just a little or a lot, then I would try to change diet while trying to concieve, start an exercise program and focus on becoming healthier and fitter and if weight loss goes with that then it's a bonus. Then keep it up when you do fall pregnant so that there isn't excessive weight gain and your fitness levels stay good.

Being overweight can cause issues with actually falling pregnant as well so doing the above can greatly improve your chances to fall pregnant too.