Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    my sister in law was in the exact same postion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I'm sorry to just drop by, but I noticed your thread and was wondering if you would be able to help me out.

I'm sorry to intrude and I hope not to tread on any toes here.

I'm currently studying Childhood Nutrition, and I'm on my 3rd assignment, which discusses overweight/obesity and pregnancy.
    I have to discuss nutritional guidelines for a mother who is currently pregnant and overweight.

Can you tell me, what sort of guidelines did your Dr/Ob/Gyno gave you to follow nutrition wise during pregnancy e.g. vitamins, supplements, what foods to avoid, what foods to consume etc, watching your weight, dieting, exercising, that sort of stuff.

I'm finding it hard to search this on the internet as lot of the info comes from the USA.
    I was hoping one of you lovely ladies would like to share your info with me?
    No names will be mentioned in my assignment.

Thanks heaps in advance.
    I was never offered dietary advice in my two pregnancies where I was more obese than I am now, and before I became diabetic. Now that I am diabetic they request that I see a dietician throughout the pregnancy.

I am following a diabetic eating plan, but have been told it's appropriate for anyone who is overweight and pregnant, or overweight and not pregnant, it's a diet structure that I have followed in the past with exercise and lost 50kg. A very basic daily rundown is:

3-4serves of fruit
    5-6serves of veg
    100gm of protein per main meal

I have to eat carbs, they class 15gm as a serve and I have to have 3-4 serves per main meal.

I need to avoid high GI foods, and stick to a majority of Low GI with some medium GI foods thrown in there as well. Also need to avoid all the other pregnancy no-no's so no buffets, no soft cheeses, deli meats, wash salads thoroughly and no seafood from the deli department either.

Exercise is a minimum 30min a day, but they ask that we aim for two 30min sessions a day.

Plus a pregnancy multivitamin and 5mg folate

No one has specifically told me that I MUST lose weight, but when I've mentioned that I want to continue losing weight they haven't said no, and they've been supportive of that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

bambino  (09-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz77 View Post
    Hi ladies,

I am in my third pregnancy, never had any issues due to my weight (except being rejected from one hospital!)

yesterday I went to my dr appointment at the hospital and had the rudest b!t#h I have ever encountered! She carried on about my BMI and made me stand on the scales, made me strip to my underwear so she could listen to my chest etc. all with a male student in the room! I was horrified.....left absolutely distraught in tears.....I explained that I have lost about 5 kgs so far and will probably only get to 3 or 4 kgs over my pre-preg weight by the end of it...she hit the roof. Said I should be actively trying to lose weight, that I'd be doing my baby a favour if I starved myself for the next 5 months as I am carrying enough "nutrition" for us both to be healthy if I have nothing but water! I kid you not!! She feels I should aim to lose at least a kilo a week for the remainder of my pregnancy so I should be 30 kg lighter by the end than when I started.

Has anyone else encountered this kinda attitude? I was told previously that not gaining the usual 10-15kg is ok when bigger, but NEVER have I been encouraged to diet whilst pregnant before.....I feel so deflated what should I do??
    Hey mummas,

This is my second pregnancy, I've had a similar experience with a doctor recently.

My weight before my first pregnancy was 65kg (im fairly tall so this was a tad underweight), at 9 months pregnant I was 86kgs, when my son was 3 months old I was back to 75kgs and happy. Between my son's first and second birthday I put on 20kgs. I am now 95kgs and extremely upset about this.

Anyway, when I went to get my pregnancy bloods back the doctor asked me to get undressed and get on the scales, her scales said I was 96kgs - her response was 'oh well it looks like you'll be over the 100 mark by the time this baby is born'. This doctor knows I suffer depression and am severely upset by my weight and the thought of getting into triple digits, yet she sat there looking at me like she was disgusted, she then told me to hurry up and put my clothes back on as if she couldnt bare to look at me.
    I was in tears when I left.

Before finding out I was pregnant my aim was to lose 20kgs, but now I don't see how I can healthily lose weight while I am pregnant. Is there a way to lose weight when you're pregnant and not hurt the bubba?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummaa View Post
    Hey mummas,

This is my second pregnancy, I've had a similar experience with a doctor recently.

My weight before my first pregnancy was 65kg (im fairly tall so this was a tad underweight), at 9 months pregnant I was 86kgs, when my son was 3 months old I was back to 75kgs and happy. Between my son's first and second birthday I put on 20kgs. I am now 95kgs and extremely upset about this.

Anyway, when I went to get my pregnancy bloods back the doctor asked me to get undressed and get on the scales, her scales said I was 96kgs - her response was 'oh well it looks like you'll be over the 100 mark by the time this baby is born'. This doctor knows I suffer depression and am severely upset by my weight and the thought of getting into triple digits, yet she sat there looking at me like she was disgusted, she then told me to hurry up and put my clothes back on as if she couldnt bare to look at me.

Before finding out I was pregnant my aim was to lose 20kgs, but now I don't see how I can healthily lose weight while I am pregnant. Is there a way to lose weight when you're pregnant and not hurt the bubba?

Can you find yourself another dr. That one was was out of line. How dare she.

As for not hitting the 100 mark of course it can be done. It hard work but you can do it. I have done it before (as only gaining 4 kgs which meant that my body had actual lost weight)eg baby 3-4 kgs, extra blood 2-3 kgs, extra boobs/milk 1 kg and all the rest of the of the pregnancy stuff.

Ask to be refer to a dietitian either at the public hospital or privately.

I wanted you to know your not alone. I started this pg at 95 kgs and hope not to get over the 100 mark. I am almost 18 weeks and I am doing ok.

I am on a high protein, low carbs healthy lifestyle, making sure i eat high folate foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummaa View Post
    Hey mummas,

I am so sorry to hear you went through this. I would find another more supportive doctor if you can.

You can definately maintain and even loose weight whilst pregnant. As mentioned before go and see a dietician so they can give you a tailored eating plan and can monitor you through out your pregnancy.

I stayed the exact same weight throughout my entire pregnancy - thus was loosing as much as I was gaining. So I am now 15kgs lighter post my DD being born than my pre-pregnancy weight. So it is possible, but you need to ensure you are doing it in consultation with your doc etc..

Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that you can healthily stay the same weight in pregnancy if you are overweight to start with. My ob, who I love, said to me that if I put nothing on all preg that is fine given my starting weight but that 5-9 kg would be OK as not putting anything on in the 3rd trimester is hard. So far (I'm 25 weeks) I have not put any weight on and all I have done is to eat more healthily rather than to limit my intake of anything. With my first two bubs by a week after birth I had lost 10 kg in baby, fluids, etc. So if you do go into triple digits by a few kilos just think it isn't your weight but the baby and it will go after birth.

I agree with pp though that a supportive GP, Ob, midwife or what ever medical professional/carer you have during pregnancy is important. The last thing you want is to stress about your weight when pregnant. My ob has never weighed me, just asked me what my weight was when I first saw her with all of my pregnancies and never checked on my weight again. This time as I was heavier to start with she spent more time in my first appt talking about health risks etc in pregnancy with being my weight but never have I felt she was rude or judgemental about it, just factual.

Good luck with it. Hope you have a healthy, happy pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found out that I am pregnant, just over 2 weeks, and I am classed as morbidly obese, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to conceive so you can imagine how thrilled I am. I saw my GP on Friday confirming everything, and he surprised me by just recommending that I get as fit as I can in the next two to three months before the baby gets fairly big so that it will be easier for my body to cope with the pregnancy. He knows that I have struggled with my weight all my life, but also that I have lost around 15kg in the last 7 months. Normally he is the first to encourage me to lose weight, but this time he just said to move as much as possible to get my fitness up which I thought was great

miggins is offline ‘There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart, pursue those’
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations NicM!!! You must be over the moon. And so great that you have such a supportive GP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Miggins, yes thank you, we are rapt , and yeah, very grateful that my GP is so supportive. I am very nervous and unsure of what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations NicM and thank goodness you have a supportive GP! Congrats on losing 15kg as well I can second his advice about getting fitter, moving is really hard for me in the later stages when I am heavier and being fitter definately helps.

If you did want some help with maintaining your weight, or even losing a little bit more (it really does help too) then have a look at a gestational diabetes eating plan, or Low GI eating plan, it's a very well rounded diet and a lot healthier than I was eating before pregnancy, even though I should have been eating that way , I'm hoping to just stick with the changes I'm making now and continue on losing after birth

Congratulations again and I hope that the next 9 months are smooth sailing and stress free for you!

Mic